Away Shirts (in the NRL)

11 hours ago, Graham said:

This was posted on the Australian Rugby League Forum in 2015 by RabbitRhinovOz

His family were in the SS and he was proud. Hmm, I did always have issue with RabbitRhinovOz and now I can see where that stems from

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

One thing I love about Australian RL is that teams' away uniforms are in the same colours as their home uniforms, just rearranged and they don't do that stupid thing of having a whole different set of colours when away.

All except the Hi Vis monstrosity at Newcastle

18 hours ago, Graham said:

Yes rabbit emblem black for home matches and white for away matches is hardly very distinguishing from the stands or on TV.

Out of interest...

This was posted on the Australian Rugby League Forum in 2015 by RabbitRhinovOz

Rabbitohs were rabbit hunters, but the clubs’ colours were red and green from 1908 and the club didn’t pick up the Rabbitohs nick name until the depression, i.e. 25-30 years later.

So yeah the bit about rabbitohs wearing green shirts then playing the game with blood on it and that being the inspiration for red and green colours is utter BS, and if you don’t believe me just look up their 1908 team photo.

BTW, many of the clubs have real stories and meaning behind their choice of colours, so that’s not particularly unique either.

15 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I have no trouble at all telling the teams apart.

It's not about the "me", it's about the "we."

Surely what would make the most sense is to have all clubs release their home kits first, then release their away kits?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

45 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's not about the "me", it's about the "we."

Surely what would make the most sense is to have all clubs release their home kits first, then release their away kits?

As I and others have said, the basic principle of an away/change/alternate shirt is that you should be able to play in it against your home shirt. That can be through a reversal of colours or a totally different colour scheme or either of those and a different design. A light and dark coloured shirt is always a good guide too. Souths took the biscuit with that though!

The reason Leeds for example had to change at half time against Hull FC is because Hull's current home shirt is predominantly black and the away shirt predominantly very dark blue. How that got signed off I do not know? Warrington was slightly different scenario and probably more preemptive but still resulted in Leeds wearing our away kit at home.

I don't think its reasonable for all clubs to consult with eachother about their kits, but as long as they follow that basic principle of "could we play in this shirt against the other", they should be generally fine. The only clubs that maybe need to be in consultation are clubs with similar colours, Leeds and Wire for example, or clubs with white and/or black as a primary colour.

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As I and others have said, the basic principle of an away/change/alternate shirt is that you should be able to play in it against your home shirt. That can be through a reversal of colours or a totally different colour scheme or either of those and a different design. A light and dark coloured shirt is always a good guide too. Souths took the biscuit with that though!

The reason Leeds for example had to change at half time against Hull FC is because Hull's current home shirt is predominantly black and the away shirt predominantly very dark blue. How that got signed off I do not know? Warrington was slightly different scenario and probably more preemptive but still resulted in Leeds wearing our away kit at home.

I don't think its reasonable for all clubs to consult with eachother about their kits, but as long as they follow that basic principle of "could we play in this shirt against the other", they should be generally fine. The only clubs that maybe need to be in consultation are clubs with similar colours, Leeds and Wire for example, or clubs with white and/or black as a primary colour.

Most clubs these days have a predominantly white home kit at some point. Catalans and Saints always do. Rovers, Wakefield, Wigan and Hull usually do. Warrington, Leeds and Cas sometimes do. Toronto flipflop between all black and all white. I think only Salford and Huddersfield consistently have a kit that isn't more than just a white trim.

I agree with the basic principle of "Do our own kits clash?" However, say Salford (all red) decide to bring out an all white away kit, they'll struggle against the 50/50 cherry and white of Wigan.

Suppose that's an argument for a charity third kit, but that's never what they're used for.

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Most clubs these days have a predominantly white home kit at some point. Catalans and Saints always do. Rovers, Wakefield, Wigan and Hull usually do. Warrington, Leeds and Cas sometimes do. Toronto flipflop between all black and all white. I think only Salford and Huddersfield consistently have a kit that isn't more than just a white trim.

I agree with the basic principle of "Do our own kits clash?" However, say Salford (all red) decide to bring out an all white away kit, they'll struggle against the 50/50 cherry and white of Wigan.

Suppose that's an argument for a charity third kit, but that's never what they're used for.

Yeah i think clubs just need to be aware of what's around them. If you go with a black or white shirt (shades not colours as I remember from GCSE art), then you have to be ready for the likelihood that your opponent will have something too similar - white especially given its prevelance on several home shirts. Though realistically given the average similarity between for example Salford, Hull KR, Saints and Wigan, the chances of their away kits not being good enough is slim.

Like I said its a basic principle to start with and should be built on from there. Some clubs may just have to accept a third shirt is necessary/inevitable? In that case I've seen examples from football where the away shirt from the previous year becomes the third shirt the following season.

I suppose your club is in a situation similar to Newcastle United or West brom and needs a bit of an "out there" colour for the away shirt as plain red or blue won't really do? At Leeds I liked our 3 seasons of pink away shirts and the recent burgundy one. 

As a punishment for not turning up with a jersey that doesn't clash, the away team must play in the Melbourne Rebels 2014 kit.

That would sort it out once and for all.

spacer.png 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Celt said:

That looks like a rugby union team. 

Nothing to do with Rugby League.

It's the ultimate punishment. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Happened again

Hopefully it won't be too bad on the day. We shall see.

On 26/07/2020 at 09:51, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Salford had an all-white away kit in NL1 in 2003 and it wasn’t an issue against Leigh, although it would very much depend on how much white would be on the Wigan kit at the time. 

78935799-0355-4568-8104-A2D0CB554E34.jpeg

12 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

And as they are specially designed shirts for one round, completely avoidable. Again, if the RFL allowed something like that, the morons would be asking for Ralph and friends to resign over it.

Absolutely, just idiotic from Newcastle in particular knowing they are away to Melbourne.

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Salford had an all-white away kit in NL1 in 2003 and it wasn’t an issue against Leigh, although it would very much depend on how much white would be on the Wigan kit at the time. 

78935799-0355-4568-8104-A2D0CB554E34.jpeg

You wouldn't be allowed that Leigh kit nowadays. There have to have a plain panel on the back, switch would probably be all white. That would make it very difficult to tell from them back and a distance.

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

And as they are specially designed shirts for one round, completely avoidable. Again, if the RFL allowed something like that, the morons would be asking for Ralph and friends to resign over it.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, just idiotic from Newcastle in particular knowing they are away to Melbourne.

The jerseys were produced before the draw was changed because of covid, so they would have been designed to be worn against other teams, and to be fair jersey clashes during indigenous round were probably the furthest thing from the NRL's mind when they were redrafting the draw.

The real problem with the indigenous jerseys are that they are mandatory and have to be worn during indigenous round, get rid of those two things and there's no issue.

44 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The jerseys were produced before the draw was changed because of covid, so they would have been designed to be worn against other teams, and to be fair jersey clashes during indigenous round were probably the furthest thing from the NRL's mind when they were redrafting the draw.

The real problem with the indigenous jerseys are that they are mandatory and have to be worn during indigenous round, get rid of those two things and there's no issue.

Fair enough. I'd suggest wearing their kit at a later date, unless I'm being ignorant to why this round has the be a certain date, and if so I apologise.

The referees should be easy to spot.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

The referees should be easy to spot.

Nice one . Just on the Badge , what went on with him ? He used to be a top ref but in recent times he was on permanent pocket ref and touchie duties as younger refs have come through 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Nice one . Just on the Badge , what went on with him ? He used to be a top ref but in recent times he was on permanent pocket ref and touchie duties as younger refs have come through 

Not sure, but he's in his late 40s, so maybe he's in the process of winding down his on-pitch career. It is physically demanding to keep up with the action at times. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Fair enough. I'd suggest wearing their kit at a later date, unless I'm being ignorant to why this round has the be a certain date, and if so I apologise.

Indigenous round is normally played during NAIDOC week (sort like a national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander week), but because of covid NAIDOC week was moved this year until after the NRL's regular season, but normally that's why Indigenous round has to certain round.

In the past people used to complain when clubs either didn't have indigenous jerseys or didn't wear their indigenous jerseys during Indigenous round, we won't go into peoples' reasons for demanding that the clubs be forced to have indigenous jersey (it's deeply political), but apparently it makes the NRL look "amateur" if the clubs don't wear their indigenous jerseys during indigenous round.

So the NRL made indigenous jerseys mandatory and made it a rule that they have to be worn during Indigenous round.

On 26/07/2020 at 09:11, Tommygilf said:

I may be imagining this, but (I think) didn't Hull FC v Featherstone (Challenge Cup?) have an issue like this where Hull wore black/white stripes and Featherstone were in dark navy/white stripes and things got so bad they had to do a kit change at half-time?

Also, wasn't there one example (Leeds?) where a team's kit actually clashed with the ref? So he was being passed the ball and/or marked by players because the colour was so close?

3 minutes ago, MidlandsJohn said:

I may be imagining this, but (I think) didn't Hull FC v Featherstone (Challenge Cup?) have an issue like this where Hull wore black/white stripes and Featherstone were in dark navy/white stripes and things got so bad they had to do a kit change at half-time?

Also, wasn't there one example (Leeds?) where a team's kit actually clashed with the ref? So he was being passed the ball and/or marked by players because the colour was so close?

Honestly not sure on either of those mate.

Fev played in their dark and light blue away shirt at home to Hull FC in the cup in 2018, from the start.

7 minutes ago, MidlandsJohn said:

If it was last couple of years that’s just how Leeds play. 

Archived