Bears tackle obesity

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Good stuff ,  was it two thirds of adults overweight or obese the stat yesterday .Big societal problem 

What’s the definition of obese though? According to the NHS BMI I’d have to be about 11 stone to be at my healthiest weight, I’d be skin and bone. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What’s the definition of obese though? According to the NHS BMI I’d have to be about 11 stone to be at my healthiest weight, I’d be skin and bone. 

Maybe your just the wrong height, Eddie.  Should be 7'11".

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe your just the wrong height, Eddie.  Should be 7'11".

Jokes aside, a medium build 5ft 10 bloke who is 11 stone would be painfully thin - hence my point about BMIs and therefore obesity stats being nonsense. 

Just looked again, 9st 3 would be considered healthy for a 5 ft 10 active 40 year old. I don’t think I know anyone that thin. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Jokes aside, a medium build 5ft 10 bloke who is 11 stone would be painfully thin - hence my point about BMIs and therefore obesity stats being nonsense. 

The NHS have an excellent article about your BMI and explaining why  even some elite athletes fall into the obese category.

A male 5’10” in height has an ideal weight of between 9st 3lbs and 12st 7lbs.

Maybe you’re a super elite athlete?😀

I think as food in the western world has become plentiful and cheap our perception of what is an ideal weight has changed. As someone who is also 5’10” and as you describe, painfully thin, I can assure you that at 77 years old I feel as healthy and fit as I’ve ever been. I also think that people saying eating healthily is more expensive are kidding themselves, what they really mean is that it’s easier to buy and eat ready to eat junk food.

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

The NHS have an excellent article about your BMI and explaining why  even some elite athletes fall into the obese category.

A male 5’10” in height has an ideal weight of between 9st 3lbs and 12st 7lbs.

Maybe you’re a super elite athlete?😀

I think as food in the western world has become plentiful and cheap our perception of what is an ideal weight has changed. As someone who is also 5’10” and as you describe, painfully thin, I can assure you that at 77 years old I feel as healthy and fit as I’ve ever been. I also think that people saying eating healthily is more expensive are kidding themselves, what they really mean is that it’s easier to buy and eat ready to eat junk food.

I eat healthily, run either 10k or cycle 20 miles six days a week, and still have a layer of fat - it’s just natural for a lot of people I think, plus BMI takes no account of build. I doubt there are many NRL or SL players who the NHS would consider healthy from their BMI yet they must be among the fittest people in the country. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I eat healthily, run either 10k or cycle 20 miles six days a week, and still have a layer of fat - it’s just natural for a lot of people I think, plus BMI takes no account of build. I doubt there are many NRL or SL players who the NHS would consider healthy from their BMI yet they must be among the fittest people in the country. 

Have you read the NHS article?

A 5’10” man has a range difference of 3st 4lbs so that accounts for differing body shapes, the article also says that some athletes will fall into the obese category.

The vast majority of overweight people are not elite athletes.

26 minutes ago, Moose said:

Have you read the NHS article?

A 5’10” man has a range difference of 3st 4lbs so that accounts for differing body shapes, the article also says that some athletes will fall into the obese category.

The vast majority of overweight people are not elite athletes.

I know they’re not, but it does render the measure meaningless on its own. Shoulder to waist ratio would be as good probably. 

Archived