NRL to bend the Rules for Joseph Suaalii?

I don't think it is a bad rule and protects youngsters. I know he is huge for his age but there is a big difference in walking over much smaller players. the same age or younger, and having the strength, fitness and conditioning to play elite level NRL.

I am ok with the NRL commission looking to change this.  Plenty of talented youngsters have made their debut at 17 including Israel Folau for the Melbourne Storm and Sean Edwards for Wigan (a lot of people are drawing comparisons between Suaalii and a young Folau).  Artie Beetson and Andy Farrell debuted when they were 16!

This sport is becoming more of a young man's game all the time.  Partly because the foul play has been removed and partly because kids these days are being developed by the junior systems and are physically very ready.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

This has been on the cross code forum too, as NRL was in danger of losing him to union because he could debut there earlier. SL and international rules are 16 I believe. I think the NRL rule should be changed to 17 or 16. Coaches have a duty of care, but there are some physically very able athletes at 17 and I don’t think we should be denying them the opportunity. Look at the likes of Oledski or Holroyd at Leeds.

The one stipulation I would make to players under the age of 18 in NRL, is that they have a full pre-season with the senior squad beforehand, to ensure they have the correct preparation. I do believe Suaalii has been training with the senior guys though at the Souths and they've been giving him big raps, saying he's ready already

Common sense , I don’t believe in inflexible all encompassing rules like this . Kids are getting bigger and stronger and I don’t see anything wrong with playing at 17 if the clubs deem a player ready. They nurture and condition players superbly well now . Bradman Best could have played more last year no problem 

Thing that strikes me about the fuss over this kid is that how many more are out there waiting to be discovered.

This is a big athletic kid who has been developed from a young age.

If we can get this type of kid from PNG, the Pacific Islands etc. into development pathways early  I think there will be a lot more Joseph Suaalii`s.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Is it a wrong perception or do our kids not develop so much so early ? Kids there are massive 

Not sure about that.  During the last Academy vs. Aussie Schoolboys series I thought for the first time the English kids were noticeably bigger and stronger than the Aussies for the first time.  In the pack, players like Oliver Wilson, Tom Holroyd and Morgan Smithies physically dominated the Aussies up front while Harry Newman and the Senior twins were more than a match in the backs.   

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure about that.  During the last Academy vs. Aussie Schoolboys series I thought for the first time the English kids were noticeably bigger and stronger than the Aussies for the first time.  In the pack, players like Oliver Wilson, Tom Holroyd and Morgan Smithies physically dominated the Aussies up front while Harry Newman and the Senior twins were more than a match in the backs.   

OK , I genuinly don’t know . Maybe it just used to be the case 

Didn't ET make his debut for Cronulla when he was still at school?.. Think there are plenty of arguments form both points of view, but you'd like to think the clubs would show a certain level of responsibility in such matters.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is it a wrong perception or do our kids not develop so much so early ? Kids there are massive 

As they get the first pick of the best athletes in NSW and QLD they will get, on average, bigger, stronger, faster athletes.

Plus, having a large Pacific Island population helps.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am ok with the NRL commission looking to change this.  Plenty of talented youngsters have made their debut at 17 including Israel Folau for the Melbourne Storm and Sean Edwards for Wigan (a lot of people are drawing comparisons between Suaalii and a young Folau).  Artie Beetson and Andy Farrell debuted when they were 16!

This sport is becoming more of a young man's game all the time.  Partly because the foul play has been removed and partly because kids these days are being developed by the junior systems and are physically very ready.

A young game?  That's news to Lockers, and one or two others.  4 subs and several reacements have extended the life of a few players.

Got to love reporting in Australia 😄 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/rabbitohs/nrl-2020-joseph-suaalii-south-sydney-rabbitohs-rugby-australia-deal-details/news-story/08f43efe84893e1bd5c3db8e758263f3

"While the elbow patch fraternity produced a $3 million three-year deal with promises about debuting for the Wallabies and the NSW Waratahs this year, South Sydney have continued to work at ways to get Suaalii straight into the NRL system."

8 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

After reading the rubbish spouted in this article, I hope the Rabbitohs can complete the deal.

I note a variation of the old “play union and see the world, play rugby league and see Penrith” made an appearance.

Union can’t guarantee appearances at Olympics or Commonwealth Games at all so in an article where he’s espousing morals the blokes straight up telling lies himself!

Super Rugby is also dying on its ######nal, with a number of clubs having severe financial troubles.

The ARU is broke!

The Wallabies are awful and can look forward to being regularly beaten by South Africa, New Zealand, England and a few 2nd tier National sides like Argentina, Ireland & Wales. Who wants to join a team that’s on a huge downward trend.

The only good thing Union can offer is an excellent 7s circuit but even that’s going to be curtailed by Covid-19 for the foreseeable future. It’s a Rugby League derivative anyway so he might as well play the real thing. 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Union can’t guarantee appearances at Olympics or Commonwealth Games at all so in an article where he’s espousing morals the blokes straight up telling lies himself!

Super Rugby is also dying on its ######nal, with a number of clubs having severe financial troubles.

The ARU is broke!

The Wallabies are awful and can look forward to being regularly beaten by South Africa, New Zealand, England and a few 2nd tier National sides like Argentina, Ireland & Wales. Who wants to join a team that’s on a huge downward trend.

The only good thing Union can offer is an excellent 7s circuit but even that’s going to be curtailed by Covid-19 for the foreseeable future. It’s a Rugby League derivative anyway so he might as well play the real thing. 

I always think the 7s talk is overegged an awful lot. What serious Rugby player seriously dreams of being a 7s player? They don't, its a fallback.

This ARF is just a modern day version of the brown envelope in a union players boot.

What a nasty bitter individual this Peter Murphy sounds like.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 29/07/2020 at 05:30, OMEGA said:

Wow and you believe this

Archived