NRL to bend the Rules for Joseph Suaalii?

57 minutes ago, dkw said:

Youre right, he's completely wrong in what he said..... The Sevens circuit sucks too. 

It’s delusion to claim 7s is the only good thing union can offer. Last time I checked, it had a stable but expanding international level. How is that not a good thing? 

5 hours ago, bennyboy said:

Wow and you believe this

Yeah, but specifically which bit are you referring to?

Outside those things already mentioned there is of course the Union World Cup but as stated before The Wallabies are on a massive slide so who wants to join a team that are potential whipping boys 

• 4 months later...

So Joseph Suaalii has finally landed at the Roosters after signing a two year deal from 2022 and then being released by Souths for the final year of his development contract in 2021.

And he has stayed in League despite interest from the other code.

He may make his Roosters debut next year. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/01/rabbitohs-release-suaalii-roosters-set-to-pounce/amp/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 31/07/2020 at 17:29, bennyboy said:

It’s delusion to claim 7s is the only good thing union can offer. Last time I checked, it had a stable but expanding international level. How is that not a good thing? 

Because it is the world’s cra—est sport. 

He's already proving to be more trouble than he's worth - and with Sonny Bill Williams as a friend there's a clear pattern of behaviour. At 17 he's demanding, and presumably been given by the Roosters, a break clause in each year of his contract so he can explore his options. This boy's going to flit around from sport to sport, and club to club, whenever he feels like it. It's no way to build a team, just hiring guys like this on short term contracts, and its no way to build a career. It is, however, a great way to extract as much coin as possible in a sort period. An absolute mercenary already, at 17 and not yet left school. As a Souths fan, I'm glad they refused to bow to his demands.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

He's already proving to be more trouble than he's worth - and with Sonny Bill Williams as a friend there's a clear pattern of behaviour. At 17 he's demanding, and presumably been given by the Roosters, a break clause in each year of his contract so he can explore his options. This boy's going to flit around from sport to sport, and club to club, whenever he feels like it. It's no way to build a team, just hiring guys like this on short term contracts, and its no way to build a career. It is, however, a great way to extract as much coin as possible in a sort period. An absolute mercenary already, at 17 and not yet left school. As a Souths fan, I'm glad they refused to bow to his demands.

I agree 100%. Potentially an amazing talent but just not worth all the hassle. Probably got dreams of representing the wallabies in a World Cup too.

Suaalii has been listed in the first team squad on the Roosters web site as has highly rated half back Sam Walker who was also in demand from multiple teams and codes.

Teams - Rooster - Roosters

I am happy to see both in League and looking forward to seeing how much game time they get next year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 04/12/2020 at 08:55, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What’s this kids heritage? Could he be a wildcard for the Samoan or Tongan World Cup squad?

If I had to guess I`d say the name sounds more Samoan than anything, but that`s a guess, you`d have to think he`ll be a certainty for one of those nations squads though, and with a year under his belt, even if he isn`t picked in their first team he`s probably going to be a pretty handy back up player. I think Xavier Coates played for PNG before he played first grade and I saw that game and he didn`t let anybody down, If this new kids as good as they say, look out, another strike weapon in one of the Island Nations backline. I`d hate to be the team who plays Samoa in the opening World Cup game, it`s going to be last man standing !!

If he's the real deal, the Kangaroos will try to make it worth his while to stick with his Sydney birthplace.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If he's the real deal, the Kangaroos will try to make it worth his while to stick with his Sydney birthplace.

I think there is a real vibe in the southern hemisphere now where everyone wants the Islander nations to be as strong as possible, if that means he plays for a tier 2 nation for a while then everyone will be happy to accommodate that, of course if one day a position in the Australian team becomes available and he is the best eligible candidate, they will try to poach him, this then may well become a question of his personal preference and of course the IRL making sure that the players from lower tier nations are remunerated at least nearly as well, if not as well, as Tier 1 nations.

Archived