Gus to be offered role within the NRL

I am not 100% sure of this but when Gould was at Penrith they really seemed to get their production line of young players coming through sorted. To the point where the Panthers` seem to churn out and a lot of talent now.

I want to be fair and give credit where credit is due.

But as far as letting him anywhere near the running of the game, GOD HELP US.

He is a great big bag of wind who takes credit for everything, saw everything first, predicted everything first, his ego is out of control. Not helped by the fact that everyone around him, players, ex-players and commentators are nauseatingly  sycophantic towards him.

Possibly a role in youth development pathways, anything else, as someone said over here, "1970`s solutions to 2020`s problems ".

On 27/07/2020 at 12:26, DavidM said:

On referees I completely agree with Gus when I listen to him , good move if it happens 

I agree with him when he states the problem... too many subjective calls (obstruction etc.) by people not qualified or experienced enough to make them and not enough of the yes/no decisions being made correctly (grounding etc.)

But it is one thing stating a problem, has he actually said how he would fix it?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with him when he states the problem... too many subjective calls (obstruction etc.) by people not qualified or experienced enough to make them and not enough of the yes/no decisions being made correctly (grounding etc.)

But it is one thing stating a problem, has he actually said how he would fix it?

Gus’s mere presence solves all problems . Seriously , like most people who pontificate and have all the answers from the outer , when involved he’d probably find it a lot more difficult . Simplifying things and uncluttering referees seem laudable if he can do it . But him and V’landys are a bit of a mutual appreciation society so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved somewhere . 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Gus’s mere presence solves all problems . Seriously , like most people who pontificate and have all the answers from the outer , when involved he’d probably find it a lot more difficult . Simplifying things and uncluttering referees seem laudable if he can do it . But him and V’landys are a bit of a mutual appreciation society so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved somewhere . 

The louder the opinion and the simpler the solution offered to a complex problem, the less likely they are to be any help at all. Quite the opposite, in many cases.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/07/2020 at 12:18, The Rocket said:

I am not 100% sure of this but when Gould was at Penrith they really seemed to get their production line of young players coming through sorted. To the point where the Panthers` seem to churn out and a lot of talent now.

I want to be fair and give credit where credit is due.

But as far as letting him anywhere near the running of the game, GOD HELP US.

He is a great big bag of wind who takes credit for everything, saw everything first, predicted everything first, his ego is out of control. Not helped by the fact that everyone around him, players, ex-players and commentators are nauseatingly  sycophantic towards him.

Possibly a role in youth development pathways, anything else, as someone said over here, "1970`s solutions to 2020`s problems ".

Rothfield was very disparaging towards him the other night, then praised him for his work at Penrith.  With friends like that.....

I think Gould’s comments on TV are born out of the way the producers want it.  Outrageous and outspoken maybe generate good viewing figures.  He seems a knowledgable bloke though and like you say, players praise him.

Vlandys must know all of what you say though, already, so maybe his appointment could be target driven in certain areas that need a shake.

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Rothfield was very disparaging towards him the other night, then praised him for his work at Penrith.  With friends like that.....

I think Gould’s comments on TV are born out of the way the producers want it.  Outrageous and outspoken maybe generate good viewing figures.  He seems a knowledgable bloke though and like you say, players praise him.

Vlandys must know all of what you say though, already, so maybe his appointment could be target driven in certain areas that need a shake.

Looks like now V`landy`s has a role planned for him in junior pathways and junior pathways out of the Pacific Islands in particular.

Can you imagine trying to keep him in his office though, he`d be leaning in every ones doorways dispensing advice. " I can`t get any bloody work done , Oh God here he comes now " would be the common refrain.

Vlandy`s is smart though and Phil might find himself spending a lot of time in the south Pacific and beyond and not criticising the Refs and the bunker on TV.

Seriously though, it`s smart to keep Gould on side and I heard him say to PV that we want you around for 10 years. They could achieve a lot in that timeframe. 

If I had to make an educated guess PV will put westward expansion on hold for maybe 10 years, just club games , Origin and Test matches. I heard Gould say he believes there is a lot of young talent in those states who could be developed. How he plans to do that without much grassroots League will be very interesting to see. To say it ,he must have thought about it.

In the meantime they will concentrate on turning the Pacific into League territory and then swing south to have a crack at NZ. There is a lot of confidence in League at the moment that we have a superior product than union.

Hope I haven`t been too long winded.

44 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Looks like now V`landy`s has a role planned for him in junior pathways and junior pathways out of the Pacific Islands in particular.

Can you imagine trying to keep him in his office though, he`d be leaning in every ones doorways dispensing advice. " I can`t get any bloody work done , Oh God here he comes now " would be the common refrain.

Vlandy`s is smart though and Phil might find himself spending a lot of time in the south Pacific and beyond and not criticising the Refs and the bunker on TV.

Seriously though, it`s smart to keep Gould on side and I heard him say to PV that we want you around for 10 years. They could achieve a lot in that timeframe. 

If I had to make an educated guess PV will put westward expansion on hold for maybe 10 years, just club games , Origin and Test matches. I heard Gould say he believes there is a lot of young talent in those states who could be developed. How he plans to do that without much grassroots League will be very interesting to see. To say it ,he must have thought about it.

In the meantime they will concentrate on turning the Pacific into League territory and then swing south to have a crack at NZ. There is a lot of confidence in League at the moment that we have a superior product than union.

Hope I haven`t been too long winded.

Yes, that will be interesting.  Grass roots foundation doesn’t stop a western team then coming into the competition though.  I don’t believe Melbourne have much grass roots so it can be done.

34 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, that will be interesting.  Grass roots foundation doesn’t stop a western team then coming into the competition though.  I don’t believe Melbourne have much grass roots so it can be done.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/20192/07/17/storm-players-inspire-kids-at-grassroots-rugby-league-clubs/
Storm are regularly doing their best. 
Victorian born players:

Mahe Fonua: (Melbourne Storm & Hull F.C.)

Jake Webster: (Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans & Hull Kingston Rovers) 

Timana Tahu: (Newcastle Knights, Parramatta Eels & NSW Waratahs).

Craig Polla-Mounter: (Canterbury).

Peter Wallace (Penrith Panthers & Brisbane Broncos)

Victorian Rugby League competitions:

The three main competitions are the Melbourne Rugby League, the Central Highlands Rugby League and the Goulburn Murray Rugby League.

On 08/08/2020 at 02:03, Graham said:

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/20192/07/17/storm-players-inspire-kids-at-grassroots-rugby-league-clubs/
Victorian born players:

The three main competitions are the Melbourne Rugby League, the Central Highlands Rugby League and the Goulburn Murray Rugby League.

Well thats 5/13 of a starting line up produced over how many years?  Quite a way off a pipeline.

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Well thats 5/13 of a starting line up produced over how many years?  Quite a way off a pipeline.

Are you saying they shouldn’t bother or that they should/could do better? Maybe you think Storm shouldn’t be in the NRL? 
Perhaps it’s just a statement of how it is and they should just keep on keeping on?

On 07/08/2020 at 17:03, Graham said:

Victorian born players:

And Jamayne Taunoa-Brown

Also, Young Tonumaipea was born in Samoa but moved to Melbourne at a young age and came through the system there

Archived