Rule Change for SBW OK?

So currently in the NRL players can only have one playing contract.

That makes sense surely, it's clear and logical.

V'landys is considering an option of an exception being allowed so that SBW can play for an NRL club (Roosters) if he is still contracted to Toronto.

He is bending over backwards it seems to do anything to let SBW come to Roosters.

“One option is that he only has one contract with whatever (NRL) club he goes to,” V’landys told reporters on Monday.

“If that’s not the case we will change the rules to give us flexibility to adapt to the two-contract situation but give exemption for specific circumstances like this one.

“We will look at anything that’s for the benefit of the game ... We should look at every case on its merits, we should not have blanket rules that stop you from doing things for the benefit of the game.”

Hang on. Is SBW bigger than the game?

Should the game change its rules to accommodate him?

I say no.

What do you say?

Overall, 2020 is a special case. SBW will only be here for maybe 8 games by the time he finishes quarantine. I think the need for Warriors to borrow players established a precedent for other creative workarounds for this year only.

52 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I'm not sure for certain, (is that English?), but I think I heard that this rule change/bending also applied to seven other players, not just SBW.  Yes/No?

In this interview V'Landys says there are 8 other players who would be considered for special circumstances.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/27/sbw-may-receive-special-exemption-from-two-contract-rule/

We are of course in exceptional circumstances. 

On the SBW point though I can’t see why he and Roosters merit special treatment. 
The way it has been broached seemed to be a way to specifically alter or bend the rule for him. 

Now as you say FD it has been revealed other ‘offshore’ players could be brought in to help clubs with roster problems. 
So Vandys says they aren’t advantaging Roosters because of this. I’m guessing the other players aren’t all SBW equivalents. 
It will be interesting to see who they are and where they are from. Are they also from Toronto, or where?

From what I read Roosters had to make room in their playing squad by moving a guy on. That’s hardly the same as a squad that has been disadvantaged like NZ Warriors.

I know if I’m off beam here FD you’ll put it right.

I'm guessing the other 8 players are all from Toronto. Possibly from the Champs but I can't see any NRL clubs signing players from the Champs. The only reason why SBW seems to be a special case is because he's first and he's SBW. If it was the Warriors wanting to sign Darcy Lussick would anyone care?

Rules have been bent then. It’s a done deal.

SBW is back in NRL with Roosters after his 14 days of quarantine.

Williams is still under contract with the Wolfpack, which would normally bar him from playing in the NRL, but the game’s hierarchy bent the rules to allow him in due to “exceptional circumstances” created by the virus.

The New Zealand citizen also needed a special exemption from the government officials to fly into Sydney with his wife and children, as only Australian citizens are being allowed in at the moment.

Now will his exceptionalism be worth it?

He’s been out of training for a while and in holiday mood. 
If people are expecting the SBW they remember, will the b3 disappointed?

I hope all this is worth it.

If he does excel thank goodness it’s only poor little struggling Roosters that have got him. 🧐

Archived