The Nicest Roads in the Country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A897_road

The road from Dounreay to Helmsdale in the Scottish Highlands has been described as the quietest road in the country.

It's single track and is about 40 miles long. On the day I drove it, I never encountered another vehicle and that was in mid summer.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The A970 that goes down the middle of mainland Shetland is incredible. It has all the scenery you will ever need.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

The road from Dounreay to Helmsdale in the Scottish Highlands has been described as the quietest road in the country.

It's single track and is about 40 miles long. On the day I drove it, I never encountered another vehicle and that was in mid summer.

Yep been on it.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

Boom..... my fav. The helmetdale Highway as we coined it back in 04.....

Driving north we took a gamble.... best drive ever in the UK. We were only talking about this on Saturday.... breathtakingly good.

We stopped for a bit of a picnic.... the two lasses were dangling their feet in the stream/River when all manner of fish.... perhaps trout or salmon were jumping out of the water.... the wildlife was amazing. 

Loads to choose from. The A896 to Applecross would be my favourite, or the A82 Crianlarich to Glencoe but there's loads of good ones in Scotland.

The A39, particularly the bits along the North Cornwall coast and in Devon from Porlock to Lynton. The B6255 from Ingleton to Thwaite is pretty impressive, despite being in Yorkshire.

The A4086 from Llanberis to Capel Curig, but again loads to choose from in Wales, as long as you're not in a hurry.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Hardly a road.... and scared the living crapola out of me .  .... but the hardknott pass is some drive.....

I think the Wrynose and Hardknott passes would qualify as a contender in both the best road and the worst road threads in this forum.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Hardly a road.... and scared the living crapola out of me .  .... but the hardknott pass is some drive.....

I've been a passenger on that one. It's an experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

B1257 Stokesley-Helmsley (through Bilsdale) - or, to bikers, the North Yorkshire TT.

A169 Pickering-Whitby (best views of the moors).

The unclassified road through Stape and Egton Bridge, linking Pickering and Grosmont via Wheeldale Moor.

A696/A68 Woolsington/Ponteland-Edinburgh via Otterburn, Carter Bar and Lauder.

A68 West Auckland-Tow Law-Corbridge-Otterburn.

B6277 Middleton-in-Teesdale-Alston.

A592 Windermere-Patterdale-Pooley Bridge.

A713 Castle Douglas-Ayr.

B3387/B3357 Bovey Tracey-Tavistock (across Dartmoor).

B3224/B3223/B3358 Raleigh's Cross-Blackmoor Gate (across Exmoor).

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The A970 that goes down the middle of mainland Shetland is incredible. It has all the scenery you will ever need.

Well, apart from a wide selection of trees, GJ!  However, as the grandson of a born-and-bred Shetlander, I wholly agree with you.

There are some great roads mentioned in this thread so far.  Thanks for starting it, MM.

I am very fond of the A417 from Gloucester across to Ledbury (and beyond to Hereford).  It has the added advantage of two very colourful periods of year.  First in spring, with all the fruit trees in blossom, and then in autumn when all the fruit is on the trees before harvesting.

To explain, this is great cider apple country, but - more unusually - it is also great perry pear country, and all that guarantees a wide range of shapes, sizes and colours of fruit.  

I am getting thirsty just writing this!

22 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

B1257 Stokesley-Helmsley - or, to bikers, the North Yorkshire TT.

A169 Pickering-Whitby.

The unclassified road through Stape and Egton Bridge, linking Pickering and Grosmont via Wheeldale Moor.

A696/A68 Woolsington/Ponteland-Edinburgh via Otterburn, Carter Bar and Lauder.

A68 West Auckland-Tow Law-Corbridge-Otterburn.

B6277 Middleton-in-Teesdale-Alston.

A592 Windermere-Patterdale-Pooley Bridge.

A713 Castle Douglas-Ayr.

B3387/B3357 Bovey Tracey-Tavistock (across Dartmoor).

B3224/B3223/B3358 Raleigh's Cross-Blackmoor Gate (across Exmoor).

That A696/A68 from Newcastle A1 to Edinburgh is a nice road with some lovely places on it. Although sometimes I'll take the A68 from Darlington up if the Newcastle area has any road issues.

Otterburn is a permanent raincloud though, but I'm sure that's why the army exercises there.

If it's nice weather, we'll stop at the border point as there's some cracking views.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 27/07/2020 at 12:23, Mumby Magic said:

A49 

Ahh yes. Assume you mean the Warrington bit rather than the Wigan bits.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

I think the Wrynose and Hardknott passes would qualify as a contender in both the best road and the worst road threads in this forum.

Great roads to drive - camped at the bottom of Hard Knott pass last week and it was quite busy, a lot of bikers.

You really need to know the width of your car, to a couple of inches

In summer the level of traffic that a) don't know how to drive a mountain pass as Hard Knott is 1 in 3 in places, b) are in an unsuitable vehicle (eg a 1968 Westphalia VW campervan) and c) those that think passing places are a parking spot can make it a nightmare

Also, the weather there takes its toll on the condition of the road quickly. They only seem to get patchwork repairs, probably due to the difficulty getting kit up there

2 hours ago, ckn said:

That A696/A68 from Newcastle A1 to Edinburgh is a nice road with some lovely places on it. Although sometimes I'll take the A68 from Darlington up if the Newcastle area has any road issues.

Otterburn is a permanent raincloud though, but I'm sure that's why the army exercises there.

If it's nice weather, we'll stop at the border point as there's some cracking views.

It's not often I'm in a rush so I rarely use the Newcastle-Berwick-Edinburgh stretch of the A1. Much prefer either of the routes converging on Otterburn (recommended to me originally, back in the early 90s, by a colleague from Dundee). The A68 through the west Durham hills is smashing, and the descent to Jedburgh from the Carter Bar border viewpoint superb (must do it on my push bike some day).

Always had soft spots, too, for the A640 Buckstones road between Outlane (Huddersfield) and Denshaw (Saddleworth), and the A58 between Sowerby Bridge and Littleborough.

We're spoilt for choice with trans-Pennine routes. A Bucks-born former colleague supported Wycombe Wanderers FC and watched them whenever they played in the North. One Saturday, she drove from her home at Carlton (near Goole) to Rochdale to see Wycombe at Spotland. It was her first time over the M62's Windy Hill summit. On the Monday, she was full of excitement about what she saw as a magnificent, scenic journey.

On 27/07/2020 at 12:23, Mumby Magic said:

A49 

You’ll have to be more specific about the A49. When not locked down I spend plenty of time stuck in traffic trying to get out of Warrington, then about the same time trying to get over to Wigan Pier 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

You’ll have to be more specific about the A49. When not locked down I spend plenty of time stuck in traffic trying to get out of Warrington, then about the same time trying to get over to Wigan Pier 😂😂😂

I just presumed MM meant the lovely bits as you head south through the Marches, through or past places like Whitchurch, Shrewsbury, Church Stretton and Leominster.  That is a lovely run, though not necessarily if you are in a hurry!

Archived