The Nicest Roads in the Country.

28 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I might have the wrong road. Through Shropshire Hereford etc.

No, it's the same one. Goes from Ross-on-Wye all the way north to meeting the M6 just north of Wigan. It's all pretty nice once you get south of Warrington. Hereford could do with a bypass though.

On 27/07/2020 at 12:23, Mumby Magic said:

An add on from Dreadful n nicest towns. I have a few to put in the mix.

A19 Scotland

The A19 isn't in Scotland.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

B6318 - world's longest British B road - from Corbridge to Langholm.

A2 - between Larne and Ballycastle

Buttertubs

Rosedale and Farndale

On 27/07/2020 at 12:46, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Bwlch road from Nantymoel to Treorchy.

Bizarrely Nantymoel would be up there with the not great towns whereas Treorchy is pretty damn good.

DE8833A2-E1B3-44F5-8AEB-8A453ACCF57F.jpeg

Some fabulous roads in the South Wales valleys. Many link up so you can drive from valley to valley to valley.

9 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

B1257 Stokesley-Helmsley (through Bilsdale) - or, to bikers, the North Yorkshire TT.

Turn off that road near Helmsley, heading for Hawnby, then take either the road to Osmotherly or the one to Thirsk via Boltby. Some pretty scenic and twisty little roads.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Hardly a road.... and scared the living crapola out of me .  .... but the hardknott pass is some drive.....

I take every visitor I get that is new to the area over that road and Wrynose through to Langdale, most love it but when you stop at the bottom and point to where we a going, not everyone believes we are going to drive up there.

Another good road in the area is from Keswick through Borrowdale and Honister pass to Buttermere and Crummock Water

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Turn off that road near Helmsley, heading for Hawnby, then take either the road to Osmotherly or the one to Thirsk via Boltby. Some pretty scenic and twisty little roads.

Yes, the one over Snilesworth Moor (Hawnby-Osmotherley) is lovely. Did that (again) a couple of weeks ago.

There’s also a very pretty road, unclassified, through Troutsdale, connecting Snainton and Hackness. Popular with cyclists.

You can’t go wrong with any of the scenic minor roads through the Angus glens. Or the much busier A93 between Blairgowrie and Braemar.

The B4246 between Abergavenny and Blaenavon is renowned in cycling cirles as "The Tumble". It's a long steep  climb where, in a car, your ears 'pop'  when you near the top.

Along the way up:

- Threre is a sharp switchback, known locally as the 'Fiddlers Elbow' that breaks the cadence of racing cyclists.

- You will get a fantastic view of the patchwork fields below the Sugar Loaf mountain set on the opposite flank of the Usk valley. This photo shows the next mountain over, the Skirrid.

The Tumble (SW #97): null

Worth a trip in any case for the free entry down Big Pit coalmine in Blaenavon.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

A684 Sedburgh to Leyburn is a good road. It was great for this evenings ride, albeit only as far as Hawes, before another good couple of roads down to Ribblehead Viaduct and then on to Settle via Horton in Ribblesdale.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

23 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Via the Buttertubs Pass?? Yes magnificent.

One those BBC4 "Slow TV" programmes did the bus ride from Richmond over Buttertubs. Great scenery.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

One those BBC4 "Slow TV" programmes did the bus ride from Richmond over Buttertubs. Great scenery.

Saw that.  Watched it all in real time.

The Rest and Be Thankful (A83) could be a candidate for the Nicest and Worst Road categories.  Lovely views but it's falling apart.

This is the road that'll take the traffic to Kintyre for Boris's proposed bridge to Northern Ireland.   The bridge will probably be the easiest bit to build.🤣

On 28/07/2020 at 17:38, Griff said:

B6318 - world's longest British B road - from Corbridge to Langholm.

A2 - between Larne and Ballycastle

Buttertubs

Rosedale and Farndale

I don't know all these, Griff, but agree with you about Buttertubs. 

Last year in early summer, my wife and I stopped at the Buttertubs themselves and were delighted to discover that we had the company of a newly fledged family of ring ouzels.

By contrast, decades ago when I worked for the North Riding County Council, a colleague and I were driving over Buttertubs and the wind and rain were so fierce that the wind was lifting the rain in sheets off the road and its verges.  We were glad to reach Hawes, which was very wet but merely breezy, in one piece!

Archived