Worst Roads in the country.

I have great fondness of the A580 East Lancs Rd., and it doesn't just go to St Hell, It is a great cycling route, and I used to do the full length on a regular basis

Worst road is the A21 to/from Hastings, as far as Tunbridge Wells, only there does it become dual carriageway.

My worst experience of a road was the A30 into Cornwall. More roundabouts and delays than I have ever experienced. Also, the fact that it is a bottleneck into a hugely popular holiday destination promises lots of traffic.

The A17 into Norfolk runs it a very close second!

39 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Worst road is the A21 to/from Hastings, as far as Tunbridge Wells, only there does it become dual carriageway.

Most dangerous road in the country. The Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle said this in Parliament: "In 2014, the A21 was deemed by the Road Safety Foundation as the most dangerous road in the UK—so much so that one section of dual carriageway that we do have in East Sussex has been closed and coned off as a single carriageway due to the dangers of speeding."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Roads to Barrow takea bit of beating.

The A590 and the A595 are never easy.

I once dropped my daughter off near Barrow and drove to Workington, thinking "That's not far"..... Missed the start of the game by 10 minutes having left what I thought was loads of time. Picked up my daughter afterwards 30 minutes late. She was not amused. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Most dangerous road in the country. The Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle said this in Parliament: "In 2014, the A21 was deemed by the Road Safety Foundation as the most dangerous road in the UK—so much so that one section of dual carriageway that we do have in East Sussex has been closed and coned off as a single carriageway due to the dangers of speeding."

Most dangerous road? No, there are far worse number of deaths on the M20, It is just tedious, and boring to proceed along, the bump over Ticehurst is the most dangerous, The rest is a krap boring treacherous piece of road, that I do not trust,

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Most dangerous road? No

Or, yes, because there are figures to back that up based on the fact that there are an extraordinary number of accidents, including fatal ones, for a stretch of road that isn't that long and isn't really that busy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not far from Canberra we still have some dirt roads between towns. It’s a nightmare during fog and wet and especially when huge trucks are coming the other way. When I go to the coast for camping or if I’m driving to Nowra I use this road.. this is what happens when you have a small population to raise taxes and a country the size of a continent.

3A4BC2FC-313F-4ECF-B0E6-5914D9993207.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Awkward Hill to Arlington in Bibury 

It looks lovely with its picturesque cottages overlooking a lake but it's an absolute nightmare to take a long wheel base van down and then do a 23 point turn to go back up Awkward Hill. 🤣

I mean, I think the clue's in the name.

We have a Crazy Lane near here.

all the roads near us, country roads.... left behind or forgotten by the council... people will speed then when coming across the cyclist, whom all seem to ride around on them all day in large groups, they then get frustrated trying to overtake in the narrow bit, plenty of bends which you can't see around but that doesn't stop cars swerving wildly around the cyclists...

The cyclists insist on being minimum x2 or more abreast and I'm sure take great delight holding up farm traffic and others... there narrow roads.  Never seen so many cyclists every day, use to be just week ends - I'm guessing furlough doing its bit... 

On not to forget the cars and vans that park on the bends of the busiest country road between two villages on the way to town (walkers come for an outing).  You have to pass the parked cars and vans with no idea whats coming in opposite direction and have fingers crossed none coming around speeding.   The locals know its dangerous and general go less that 5 mile around this bend which is blind both directions and worse with the parked cars but others don't know I guess because they come hurtling around having to slam breaks on at last second.

Joining the throng of course large groups of walkers not realising the road between villages and towards main town is our lifeline to sanity of town whom hold up the cyclists, holding up the farm traffic, holding up the delivery men,  holding up us locals, navigating all and sundry....

Oh we do love the country side...... if you damn townies stay away...

I could go on but you get the general gist... yep got that off me chest...

Oh just to add to the mix, we have two big equestrian centres and number of stables... so horses walking along,  plus of course the occasion herd of cattle being moved from field to field and the occasional sheep that escapes for a wonder... add in the dog walkers...

recipe for disasters...

18 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

A12. Perpetually full of idiots in high powered German cars. Even at the height of lockdown when I counted less then a dozen cars in 50 miles on it, a couple still managed to be of the wallywheels variety

The A12 is a sodding abysmal road. Its worst aspect is its unpredictability. It could be the middle of the day and it'll suddenly jam up, or it could be rush hour and quiet. The bit around Chelmsford going north is its worst bit, where the filter lane comes out of Chelmsford and people stay in the left lane at 70+ MPH for 2 more miles until they get to Hatfield Peverel when they force their way out into the middle/right lanes.

Although I'm not on a motorbike any longer, it'd be a nightmare to ride along as no-one indicates, people jump between lanes to get .00001 second advantage and they'll deliberately close gaps to stop bikes filtering.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The A9 is by far and away the worst road in Britain. Heading towards Inverness from Perth. A mixture of caravans being pulled by 1.1 Ford Fiestas and boy racers causes the inevitable chaos.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The A9 is by far and away the worst road in Britain. Heading towards Inverness from Perth. A mixture of caravans being pulled by 1.1 Ford Fiestas and boy racers causes the inevitable chaos.

I meant A9 as nicest road not A19. It is 20 years since i was last on it though.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 27/07/2020 at 13:20, Trevorkfevfan said:

My worst experience of a road was the A30 into Cornwall. More roundabouts and delays than I have ever experienced. Also, the fact that it is a bottleneck into a hugely popular holiday destination promises lots of traffic.

The A17 into Norfolk runs it a very close second!

When I worked in Exeter, 20 years ago, Indian Queens (and the end of the dual carriageway) was where the A30 hit trouble. Still the case?

Echo what you say about the A17. Last autumn, I drove to Wisbech (first time on the A17 for a few years). I'd forgotten how long and painful the journey is from the A1 at Newark.

On 27/07/2020 at 13:35, Bearman said:

Roads to Barrow takea bit of beating.

The A590 and the A595 are never easy.

Askam-Kirkby-Grizebeck is a shocking stretch of the A595. In places, it's barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass.

I remember a Whitehaven RLFC director telling me the chap who laid out the Whitehaven-Barrow road must have been drunk when he did it.

Rawmarsh Hill in Rovrum resembles something of a Syrian suburb.... the surface is appalling and day or night the locals frequent the middle of the road tripping off their t its and over potholes.... 

For a relatively short period of road it gets a disproportionate amount of blue light activity

Archived