Worst Roads in the country.

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge is the worst road I have ever been on

Used to be dreadful - one short of stretch of road joining the M11, A1,  A14 to Felixstowe/Harwich for the lorries and A14 to the M6, plus all of the local traffic. Four or five lanes going down to two at both ends, in effect. Real accident blackspot too, with very short on-ramps in some places.

However, the new A14 opened recently, many months early, well under budget, loads of interesting archaeology produced and it seems to have turned a 15 mile journey from something that could take 30-90 minutes even without an accident into something that reliably takes about 15 minutes. They haven't finished the parallel road that connects the new road up with the local villages and towns yet. No doubt, when they do, the A14 will become a toll motorway or something.

21 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

King's Lynn-Norwich

Is one of my favourite parts of journey to Norfolk. Its such a relief to get off the A17 and means I am only around an hour or less from my destination.

6 hours ago, Ackroman said:

A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge is the worst road I have ever been on

They’ve put a lot of effort into it over the last few years and it’s now ok, which is better than sodding awful as before.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Used to be dreadful - one short of stretch of road joining the M11, A1,  A14 to Felixstowe/Harwich for the lorries and A14 to the M6, plus all of the local traffic. Four or five lanes going down to two at both ends, in effect. Real accident blackspot too, with very short on-ramps in some places.

However, the new A14 opened recently, many months early, well under budget, loads of interesting archaeology produced and it seems to have turned a 15 mile journey from something that could take 30-90 minutes even without an accident into something that reliably takes about 15 minutes. They haven't finished the parallel road that connects the new road up with the local villages and towns yet. No doubt, when they do, the A14 will become a toll motorway or something.

Thank God. Our family trip to France last year was an epic because of that road. Fortunately having lived in Sawtry for 3 years I knew the back roads to get us to the A1. 

The A1 is much better  than it used to be; at least in the bits I go on. At one time, it was frightening. You'd go round a bend doing 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway  ... then a suddenly a tractor and trailer would join from the right hand side.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 27/07/2020 at 13:23, gingerjon said:

Most dangerous road in the country. The Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle said this in Parliament: "In 2014, the A21 was deemed by the Road Safety Foundation as the most dangerous road in the UK—so much so that one section of dual carriageway that we do have in East Sussex has been closed and coned off as a single carriageway due to the dangers of speeding."

And, oh look, the A21 at Sedlescombe is closed *again* because of an accident. Must be a day of the week.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The A1 is much better  than it used to be; at least in the bits I go on. At one time, it was frightening. You'd go round a bend doing 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway  ... then a suddenly a tractor and trailer would join from the right hand side.

Sounds a lot like the present A66 (Scotch Corner-Penrith)!

Changes are afoot, mind.

Archived