Darts - wasn't the World Matchplay awesome

I thoroughly enjoyed last week's World Matchplay, which was played 'behind closed doors' in MK. The production by Sky was excellent and the players responded with some absorbing matches, and plenty going right to the wire.

There were more than a few shocks, and a number of seeds tumbled early on; MVG, Wright, Price, Aspinall and Cross. These are all players who seem to thrive on the raucous atmosphere of the darting crowd, so maybe they found it difficult to get up for it in the gentler environment. Was it a leveller? 

Good to see Dimitri vdB come in as a qualifier and 100/1 outsider and pulverise Gary Anderson in the Final. Nice people do win and his post match interview was exemplary. 

I can't wait for the Premier League restart next month.

33 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed last week's World Matchplay, which was played 'behind closed doors' in MK. The production by Sky was excellent and the players responded with some absorbing matches, and plenty going right to the wire.

There were more than a few shocks, and a number of seeds tumbled early on; MVG, Wright, Price, Aspinall and Cross. These are all players who seem to thrive on the raucous atmosphere of the darting crowd, so maybe they found it difficult to get up for it in the gentler environment. Was it a leveller? 

Good to see Dimitri vdB come in as a qualifier and 100/1 outsider and pulverise Gary Anderson in the Final. Nice people do win and his post match interview was exemplary. 

I can't wait for the Premier League restart next month.

If VdV hadn’t got some imaginary grievance into his head that could have been him . Ridiculous display at the end of his match . I agree it was good , PDC darts is the only sport I would gladly permanently watch without fans . Although as an Anderson fan I was disappointed with the result 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

If VdV hadn’t got some imaginary grievance into his head that could have been him . Ridiculous display at the end of his match . I agree it was good , PDC darts is the only sport I would gladly permanently watch without fans . Although as an Anderson fan I was disappointed with the result 

I agree. Vincent painted a frustrated figure at the end of his semi. 

Archived