• Croatia
    • England
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Serbia

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/20 at 04:59

First Qualifying Round (of 2) for the World Cup of Wine.

Pick as many as you like - top 3 go through

Tournament programme:

10 countries have been put straight through to the finals (France,Germany,Spain,Italy,S Africa,Australia,NZ,USA,Argentina,Chile) leaving 6 to join them.

2 groups, 1 Europe, 1 ROW with 3 to qualify from each. The finals will be 4 groups of 4, with 2 qualifiers going into the semis, which are 2 groups of four, winners to the final.

Group A -  France, Australia, Argentina, Europe Qualifier 3
Group B - Germany, NZ, Europe Qualifier 1, ROW Qualifier 2
Group C - Spain, Chile, Europe Qualifier 2, ROW Qualifier 1
Group D - Italy, USA, S Africa, ROW Qualifier 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall has earned a royal warrant.

Their award winning sparkling wine is absolutely fantastic and also their selection of Bacchus grape still wine.

There’s other great English producers too and probably the only thing stopping people experimenting more is the price point.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall has earned a royal warrant.

Their award winning sparkling wine is absolutely fantastic and also their selection of Bacchus grape still wine.

There’s other great English producers too and probably the only thing stopping people experimenting more is the price point.

Some excellent white/sparkling wines are being produced in England.

There are large swathes of the South that are geologically the same as the Champagne region of France. There's a similar thing going on with Croatia and Tuscany.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Russia are big wine producers too, have they been banned!!😆

Expect anti trl forum reprisal from Putin.

Thay are indeed. I've never had any, but I have had it from all the countries I have included.

Canada makes some wine too - around Niagara.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Some excellent white/sparkling wines are being produced in England.

There are large swathes of the South that are geologically the same as the Champagne region of France. There's a similar thing going on with Croatia and Tuscany.

The problem is consistency. Our weather makes it really hard to get regularly high quantities. Climate change is helping - if we ever get to the point where we can make decent reds then it's not just Bordeaux wine, but the planet, that is probably in big trouble.

28 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Thay are indeed. I've never had any, but I have had it from all the countries I have included.

Canada makes some wine too - around Niagara.

Southern US wine blends make it big over here, not sure I have ever tasted Canadian wines.

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The Downs of Sussex make some of the best sparkling wines in the world, we have the same soil composition and Latitude as the Champagne regions of France, and regularly spank them in international competitions

They do - there's some good white wines too. I have a vineyard about 3 miles from my house just south of Sheffield that grows the grapes that make a nice sparkling wine. Not cheap to say the least, but then again neither is Champagne.

I had an English red wine once. Won't be doing it again.

11 minutes ago, kev p said:

i think Spain's got a good run to semis also. new zealand would have got there whoever they had been put with iMO

It was a random draw, although I kept continents apart where possible. Group A is the Group of Death.

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The Downs of Sussex make some of the best sparkling wines in the world, we have the same soil composition and Latitude as the Champagne regions of France, and regularly spank them in international competitions

The South Downs National Park is around 250Km North of Champagne's Latitude

22 minutes ago, tim2 said:

They do - there's some good white wines too. I have a vineyard about 3 miles from my house just south of Sheffield that grows the grapes that make a nice sparkling wine. Not cheap to say the least, but then again neither is Champagne.

I had an English red wine once. Won't be doing it again.

😆 agree, nearly as bad as an Yugoslavian Red I had

bump

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

England should be hammering Portugal here on quality.

Some outdated views methinks.

Might have been better to have separated white, red and fizz.

It's not just quality, though. It's quantity and variety - if Port counts (which it should) then Portugal really comes into its own.

12 hours ago, tim2 said:

It's not just quality, though. It's quantity and variety - if Port counts (which it should) then Portugal really comes into its own.

England is beating Portugal hands down on white and sparkling these days.

Lets face it, it’s beating the French for fizz these days.

Yes, Portugal has the advantage for reds, but I’m not sure you can further extend to port to be honest!

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Lets face it, it’s beating the French for fizz these days.

Yes, Portugal has the advantage for reds, but I’m not sure you can further extend to port to be honest!

But how many people have tasted a wide variety of English wines? If you don't know about something, you (probably) don't vote for it.

Plus there'll be those people who usually drink red, and rarely white.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Quality - yes. Availability and price, no.

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

But how many people have tasted a wide variety of English wines? If you don't know about something, you (probably) don't vote for it.

Plus there'll be those people who usually drink red, and rarely white.

Not enough people judging by the voting so far.

The point I’m making is if we were judging this based on industry awards in the last ten years for wine, then England ought to be doing a lot better than Portugal tbh.

I would agree that English wine is pricier and harder to find in say supermarkets, which makes it harder for people to break through the experimentation barrier.

If this is a popular vote then England will fail.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, agreed

The limited availability is caused partially by limited production but also by the fact that (at least up to this year) the best ones were snaffled by the trade suppliers providing them to quality restaurants and bars, where they are appreciated and price is less of an issue.

Archived