The rise of the unspellables/unpronounceables

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

No - but the implication that it's all Johnny Foreigner's fault is.

Not really . I’m not a Johnny Foreigner and no one can say my name . That’s just an implication you’ve put on it , and I’m sorry I think it’s a spurious and sad implication tarring all people like that . It’s the same both ways , any country finds some names unnatural to them from another language tough . There’s nothing to read into that the vast majority of times . Sad we look for something more . We could say the same when other countries  say our names

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Difficult. Not impossible. And commentators have weeks to learn this stuff. It's their actual job. No one should be asking for perfection but as close as possible.

I think we have improved from when Eddie Hemmings tried to get out of saying Nick Bradley Qalilawa's name altogether because, apparently, beastly foreign names are just ghastly and why wouldn't he be fine with being called Bradley in commentary.

Not all rugby league commentators are full time rugby league commentators - this isn’t football. 

Have you ever watched an England game in another country with foreign commentary? I have and they don’t pronounce the English players’ names as we would. Strangely I didn’t think it was racist of them not to find out the exact correct pronunciation though. 

1 minute ago, Griff said:

No - but the implication that it's all Johnny Foreigner's fault is.

And there we have it.

YOU are suggesting that people who mispronounce a name BLAME the person for having a difficult or unfamiliar name.

YOU are deciding what other people mean and think, however innocent their efforts may be.

Groupthink.

9 minutes ago, dboy said:

In next week's episode - Sri Lankan pronunciations.

Good luck everyone.

Don’t know what your talking about  

...Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Have you ever watched an England game in another country with foreign commentary? I have 

Yes. Loads of times. I've never heard anyone get a name so wrong you wouldn't know who they were actually talking about.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not all rugby league commentators are full time rugby league commentators - this isn’t football. 

Sorry, I missed this strange line before.

They know enough to be able to spot a specific player on the other side of the field at distance and at night under lights when there are 12 other people on the field wearing the exact same kit ... but can't spend two minutes beforehand getting the one or two difficult names broadly right?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cesar Azpilicueta has revealed the reason why his nickname is Dave. The Chelsea full back was handed the bizarre name early in his Blues career - due to his apparently difficult to pronounce name. And the name Davenaturally rolled out as a nod to classic comedy Only Fools and Horses.

Cesar is hard to pronounce?

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cesar Azpilicueta has revealed the reason why his nickname is Dave. The Chelsea full back was handed the bizarre name early in his Blues career - due to his apparently difficult to pronounce name. And the name Davenaturally rolled out as a nod to classic comedy Only Fools and Horses.

Cesar is difficult to pronounce ?

Bless me - we are in a pickle.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes that one is an outlier , but I guess we’re talking about footballers in this case  ....

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

complete, utter tosh. You are GJ and I claim my £5.

Councel.

HTH.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sorry, I missed this strange line before.

They know enough to be able to spot a specific player on the other side of the field at distance and at night under lights when there are 12 other people on the field wearing the exact same kit ... but can't spend two minutes beforehand getting the one or two difficult names broadly right?

broadly right, ain't being correct.

As people sometimes like to have their name pronounced different that how it would normally be... then I guess they have to ring every ruddy one up to check.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

... then I guess they have to ring every ruddy one up to check.

I would expect the club's media team to be able to answer that question and also provide a pronunciation guide. I mean, you'd do it if someone had the surname Gillingham, which is one I've heard with both a hard and soft 'g'.

No one is expecting perfection and some will be better than others, but throwing your hands up and accepting not trying is not good enough.

Someone mentioned Sri Lankan names. I would expect anyone commentating on Sri Lanka cricket to be able to pronounce the names. They're long but they're not mystical impossibilities.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

No, but in Chelsea they thought Azpilicueta might be

Ah right - so they called him Cesar Dave.

Thanks - I understand now.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Tommygilf said:

No, but in Chelsea they thought Azpilicueta might be

So they called him Cesar Dave?

Odd lot.

Just now, Griff said:

Oi! I thought I'd come up with an amazing and unique response there.

Just now, Griff said:

No, they just called him Dave. In multinational football teams (indeed in many teams full stop) and sports its quite common to refer to people by their last names. It sounds a bit old schoolboy but thats the way it is. 

With the best will in the world, Azpilicueta is a bit of a mouthful to shout to a team mate.

Have you seen Billy Connolly's sketch on nicknames, its nice to have one.

Archived