The rise of the unspellables/unpronounceables

Just now, DavidM said:

Mmmm , when I watched Shetland on telly - so you see this is definitive - they were saying ‘ Lerrick ‘ . 

One of the actors was actually a Shetlander, so it must be right.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dboy said:

It's unprofessional for a presenter to not make the appropriate effort to pronounce names.

It's not just a British phenomenon either.  I had the same thought myself last year hearing anglophone news commentators mangling Bloc Québécois leader Yves-François Blanchet's name during the federal election here last year.  Their jobs involve covering a good few francophone politicians yet they're too lazy and unprofessional to learn how to pronounce their names!

3 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Being from Cas, a hot meal must have been quite the shock to your system.

Quite. Strictly salads* only for myself, these days! Next time you waddle across t'level crossing from Purston to Feverly Hills try some! 😄 😉

*The green things that appear on your dinner plate, but aren't mushy peas.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

This thread was reported. I've only had time to review the last page or so and can't see a problem. It seems to have had a skittering start but seems OK. If it is a problem, please re-report and I'll fix it when I have time.

Sorry, no time to moderate in depth today... too busy a work day.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

One of the actors was actually a Shetlander, so it must be right.

I’m not going to find out for myself after watching that  . They’ve a huge death rate for a tiny island .

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's not just a British phenomenon either.  I had the same thought myself last year hearing anglophone news commentators mangling Bloc Québécois leader Yves-François Blanchet's name during the federal election here last year.  Their jobs involve covering a good few francophone politicians yet they're too lazy and unprofessional to learn how to pronounce their names!

That's a name that could get quite a lot of mangling as well if you didn't get it right. You would expect them to ensure they got it correct though even if only to avoid suggestions of political bias.

2 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

Quite. Strictly salads* only for myself, these days! Next time you waddle across t'level crossing from Purston to Feverly Hills try some! 😄 😉

*The green things that appear on your dinner plate, but aren't mushy peas.

Those discarded kebab boxes contain many a bounty by the sounds of it.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

This thread was reported. I've only had time to review the last page or so and can't see a problem. It seems to have had a skittering start but seems OK. If it is a problem, please re-report and I'll fix it when I have time.

Sorry, no time to moderate in depth today... too busy a work day.

Someone raised the plight of the trolls inhabiting Fev. If it's my unashamed racism towards the inhabitants of The Chris Moyles Stadium, that caused the report?... I do not deny nor apologise for it. Only God can judge me.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m not going to find out for myself after watching that  . They’ve a huge death rate for a tiny island .

Shetland is an archipelago, not an island. The largest island is called Mainland. I don't know which island in the group the series was set on as I never watched it. Is the death rate as high as Midsomer?

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

No, but in Chelsea they thought Azpilicueta might be

It isn't really though, one can always paste/type it into Google Translate and listen to it pronounced natively.  What I heard was basically what I thought when I read the name.

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mmmm , when I watched Shetland on telly - so you see this is definitive - they were saying ‘ Lerrick ‘ . 

Yes. I follow a couple of Shetlanders on social media and this really annoyed them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Shetland is an archipelago, not an island. The largest island is called Mainland. I don't know which island in the group the series was set on as I never watched it. Is the death rate as high as Midsomer?

Impossible . Midsomer residents are on the endangered species list 

4 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I'd like to hear Vossy try to get his chops around Brougham, Beckermet and Torpenhow. 

My brother lives in Brougham ( Broom ) very near the castle . Torpenhow ( Torpena) means hill hill hill 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Impossible . Midsomer residents are on the endangered species list 

@DavidM .....yed.... and come to think of it, there was a lot of bad business in the Channel Islands during the 80's.... Jersey, I think it was?.....

The detective on those major cases had a more-than-passable resemblance to The Big Cheese in Midsomer...?....

I'm beginning to suspect that we've had a serial killer of Shipman proportions hiding in plain sight?....

13 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It isn't really though, one can always paste/type it into Google Translate and listen to it pronounced natively.  What I heard was basically what I thought when I read the name.

Regardless, they've given him a nickname instead

7 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I'd like to hear Vossy try to get his chops around Brougham, Beckermet and Torpenhow. 

Sebergham

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Cas Vegas said:

@DavidM .....yed.... and come to think of it, there was a lot of bad business in the Channel Islands during the 80's.... Jersey, I think it was?.....

The detective on those major cases had a more-than-passable resemblance to The Big Cheese in Midsomer...?....

I'm beginning to suspect that we've had a serial killer of Shipman proportions hiding in plain sight?....

Wow I never thought . Hiding in plain sight is one thing ... doing it in front of millions on telly weekly is just ballsy

19 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

Someone raised the plight of the trolls inhabiting Fev. If it's my unashamed racism towards the inhabitants of The Chris Moyles Stadium, that caused the report?... I do not deny nor apologise for it. Only God and marklaspalmas can judge me.

Edited, breaking all forum rules and etiquette.

Go in peace my friend, but tread lightly.

6 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

Miss Marple and Poirot have been doing the same trick for decades. Invite one of them to visit and you've effectively written a few death warrants.

12 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Miss Marple and Poirot have been doing the same trick for decades. Invite one of them to visit and you've effectively written a few death warrants.

Not to mention Jessica Fletcher in Cabot's Cove.

There can't be anyone left alive there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

14 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

And people still commit murders when they’re around 

Archived