The rise of the unspellables/unpronounceables

If you wander in a pub in slaithwaite huddersfield,and mention its nice in slaithwaite int it, You will get a   ITS  SLAWITT, sharpishly. so you do need to get some wrong to not get in trouble maybe.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, thanks for your thoughts.  Naturally, I dismiss them as you excusing your casual racism by saying you didn't mean any harm.

Just for the record, I'm against all racism, casual or "real", whatever that means.

I take it you didn't bother watching Vinny Finigan's video.

Well first of all, it's not "my" casual racism because I havent even said anything on the subject until now. 

If you arent willing to make an effort to learn to pronounce a name because its difficult, then maybe you could call that racism (I'd say laziness personally, but I would see your point). If you refuse to learn or use the proper pronunciation because "those foreigners and their silly names" or something similar, then obviously that is definitely racism.

But simply finding those names difficult because they use a language and an alphabet that you dont speak simply isnt racism. By any definition.

Also when you say I "didnt bother" to watch this video. I arent even aware that such a thing exists. Maybe if you tell me what it is and where I can see it I will watch it.

5 minutes ago, MZH said:

Also when you say I "didnt bother" to watch this video. I arent even aware that such a thing exists. Maybe if you tell me what it is and where I can see it I will watch it.

Ah, right.  Didn't bother to read the thread properly, either.

Page 3, about halfway down.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ah, right.  Didn't bother to read the thread properly, either.

Page 3, about halfway down.

Since you mentioned it I've googled it and found it anyway.

Yes racism should always be called out. The difference here is that I just dont agree with you that this is racism. Unprofessional and lazy yes. But I just fundamentally disagree with your definition of racism in this case. Sorry if I've come across as a bit of a d***, I hate racism of all forms. I just dont think this is.

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

There’s plenty of horses with Gaelic names British commentators haven’t a clue with. I’m sure a lot of commentators try hard but some names are an effort if it’s unnatural to you even given that . We see offence everywhere now . I’ve an Irish surname that has a specific pronounciation... hardly anyone who isn’t Irish gets it right . A lot of people are so far out I don’t know they’re calling me . Every where I go or who rings . Funnily enough I don’t think they’re all racist ... although if someone rang and got it even slightly wrong my dad would say ‘ no wrong number ! ‘

P.C is slowly strangling the country. Ask a Samoan to pronounce Slaithwaite, known as Sloughwite

32 minutes ago, MZH said:

Since you mentioned it I've googled it and found it anyway.

Yes racism should always be called out. The difference here is that I just dont agree with you that this is racism. Unprofessional and lazy yes. But I just fundamentally disagree with your definition of racism in this case. Sorry if I've come across as a bit of a d***, I hate racism of all forms. I just dont think this is.

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I'd like to hear Vossy try to get his chops around Brougham, Beckermet and Torpenhow. 

There're loads in West Cumbria to non-locals, took me ages to sort saying them 'correctly'. Wi-diven, Wukkyton, Co'er-mth, Spi-yat-ri (Aspatria), all the Lakes valleys are ..dle not dale and so on. Oh, and Beckermet is B'kermit (like the frog),

18 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

My best mate when I was a kid lived on Bedford Close. I live in New York but yes...I am from Purston Jaglin, 'the posh end'. I am therefore deeply offended.

Please accept my most humblest of apologies.  And if you send me the name and address of your friend I will send him a letter expressing repugnance of my earlier statement.  

19 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, thanks for your thoughts.  Naturally, I dismiss them as you excusing your casual racism by saying you didn't mean any harm.

Just for the record, I'm against all racism, casual or "real", whatever that means.

I take it you didn't bother watching Vinny Finigan's video.

Griff, have you ever met anyone who’s name you have not been able to pronounce correctly?

If so, would you accept being called a racist?

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Griff, have you ever met anyone who’s name you have not been able to pronounce correctly?

If so, would you accept being called a racist?

That's not the point.

The OP complained about unpronounceable names.

He didn't pick out Brough or Cholmondeley or some other British name.

He picked out South Sea Islanders, whose names are pronounced as they're spelt.

That's casual racism.

If you don't get that, that's fine.  But we won't move on.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

That's not the point.

That's casual racism.

That's not exactly how it is. It's not racist to mispronounce foreign names, words etc.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's not exactly how it is. It's not racist to mispronounce foreign names, words etc.

No.  I never said it was.

I said

"He didn't pick out Brough or Cholmondeley or some other British name.

He picked out South Sea Islanders, whose names are pronounced as they're spelt."

If the point's too complex, that's fine.   I'm not going to keep restating it for ever.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

That's not the point.

That's casual racism.

The original message wasn't a complaint, it was clearly and obviously light hearted in tone.  I think you are misrepresenting it here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

No.  I never said it was.

I said

"He didn't pick out Brough or Cholmondeley or some other British name.

He picked out South Sea Islanders, whose names are pronounced as they're spelt."

If the point's too complex, that's fine.   I'm not going to keep restating it for ever.

We're you born offensive or have you been in trainIng?  You are inferring racism,  and therfore inferring he's a racist. The mods might allow your sort of stuff but really I feel sure it's against the terms and conditions.  

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The original message wasn't a complaint, it was clearly and obviously light hearted in tone.  I think you are misrepresenting it here.

Whatever you think.

The point about casual racism is that it is unintentional.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We're you born offensive or have you been in trainIng?  You are inferring racism,  and therfore inferring he's a racist. The mods might allow your sort of stuff but really I feel sure it's against the terms and conditions.  

Inferring or implying ?

Whatever you think.

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In Vinny Finigan's anecdote, no doubt the break dancing comment was intended to be light hearted in tone.

Nevertheless, it wasn't taken that way.

19 minutes ago, Griff said:

Whatever you think.

But context is key when looking at these things.  The original poster has contributed many thoughts on these boards about the NRL and I have not read a single negative post about any of the Pacific Island players.

What he has done here is make an observation that the names of the Pacific Island players are often more difficult to spell and pronounce to non native speakers.  Just as you have pointed out that British names would be difficult to pronounce to non native speakers.

The anecdote from Finigan that you reference, including the comment on break dancing, was directed at an individual and was clearly used to belittle and bully the individual in question.  The original post did neither of these things and therefore cannot be compared.

I myself made a light hearted comment about one of the players I quoted transferring from the Storm to the Titans (Tino Fa'asuamaleaui) and I wouldn't have been able to add his name without copy and paste.  Because you know what, I couldn't spell it and I still can't (and so I copied it into this post).

I guess this would actually be worse than the OP in this thread as it was 'directed' at a single individual but I maintain it was not racist... it was simply saying it was a long surname that was difficult to spell... what on earth is wrong with making that point!

Racist actions and behaviour must be interpreted by understanding the context in which they are made and the intentions behind them.

You say that casual racism is often unintentional but racism is underlined by prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group.  The first post on this thread displayed absolutely none of these qualities.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We are all racist. 

We are all guilty.

Then can we not improve ?

Or must we carry on doing the same old stuff ?

Archived