Passage to SL?

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes it's a very competitive League overall, not including Bayern. It's true German football is a peculiar world. But the miners are German Football's version of Featherstone Rovers, their history is almost identical, geographic location, compared to bigger market (catchment area) rivals, similar. They grew their following by appealing to the working class masses across Germany. Something RL Clubs fail to achieve to great effect (in the main and as a rule) 

Agreed, but that I think has more to do with football's general poplular appeal across the nation. That is, Schalke wouldn't be Schalke without Bayern. We get that in RL to an extent but its limited by our population centres amd their locations.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to agree about us being a bit too location orientated. Is there an incredible uptake in viewing figures, ticket sales for big ticket events, website hits, uptake of sponsorship or new tv deals taken out when certain clubs come into the league? Probably not and I can’t imagine that the re-introduction of London Broncos, Toronto or Leigh or new arrival of Featherstone, Toulouse or Newcastle is going to make Super League’s brand significantly bigger and better and I don’t think the arrival of any of those I’ve mentioned or, for that matter, any lower league side gaining Super League status is going to significantly harm the stature of the competition. 

I also don’t envisage any side coming into the competition and immediately bringing a TV deal with them or creating one based on their admittance. While a French derby sounds good and would likely create a good atmosphere at the Brutus, I’m not sure that Toulouse’s admission to the big league would suddenly make a French broadcaster stand up and make it happen. I’m not sure their position not in Super League is the barrier that’s in the way. Similarly I don’t think London creates any more buzz at Sky than Leigh or Featherstone would. 

Therefore, I don’t think who we have in Super League from the Championship is that particularly important or should be decided based upon various non-playing factors. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Got to agree about us being a bit too location orientated. Is there an incredible uptake in viewing figures, ticket sales for big ticket events, website hits, uptake of sponsorship or new tv deals taken out when certain clubs come into the league? Probably not and I can’t imagine that the re-introduction of London Broncos, Toronto or Leigh or new arrival of Featherstone, Toulouse or Newcastle is going to make Super League’s brand significantly bigger and better and I don’t think the arrival of any of those I’ve mentioned or, for that matter, any lower league side gaining Super League status is going to significantly harm the stature of the competition. 

I also don’t envisage any side coming into the competition and immediately bringing a TV deal with them or creating one based on their admittance. While a French derby sounds good and would likely create a good atmosphere at the Brutus, I’m not sure that Toulouse’s admission to the big league would suddenly make a French broadcaster stand up and make it happen. I’m not sure their position not in Super League is the barrier that’s in the way. Similarly I don’t think London creates any more buzz at Sky than Leigh or Featherstone would. 

Therefore, I don’t think who we have in Super League from the Championship is that particularly important or should be decided based upon various non-playing factors. 

Agree, apart from I would change your last sentence to 'various playing and non-playing factors'. Ultimately, what happens on the pitch has to count for something. To me it should be THE factor once a set of minimum standards are met. I get that this may not be possible this year, but even in that case on field performance ought to be taken into account - e.g. London were in SL, Fev finished runners-up, Toulouse finished 2nd or whatever.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rarely have I seen a post from your good self with so much truth and common sense , have you recently stopped/ started taking drugs or drink that you previously weren't ? 😉

14 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Agree, apart from I would change your last sentence to 'various playing and non-playing factors'. Ultimately, what happens on the pitch has to count for something. To me it should be THE factor once a set of minimum standards are met. I get that this may not be possible this year, but even in that case on field performance ought to be taken into account - e.g. London were in SL, Fev finished runners-up, Toulouse finished 2nd or whatever.

Totally correct, meet a set of minimum standards, then win promotion on the field, otherwise why do we play?

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Great post, in fact in the case of Toulouse I don’t think them getting to SL will make a French broadcaster sit up and take note, if they, and Catalans, were consistently at the top challenging for trophies then probably yes, but the truth is that virtually every promoted team is going to struggle for at least a couple of seasons and getting battered by the big guns is not great for a new TV audience.

21 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Last season's news is this season's fish 'n chip paper, it is history now Tex put it another way they were all losers, London the worst team in SL, Toulouse along with the other Championship teams failed to get to be the League Leaders, and Fev lost in the final. 

Does Leigh hold some trepidation for you Tex?

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Great post, in fact in the case of Toulouse I don’t think them getting to SL will make a French broadcaster sit up and take note, if they, and Catalans, were consistently at the top challenging for trophies then probably yes, but the truth is that virtually every promoted team is going to struggle for at least a couple of seasons and getting battered by the big guns is not great for a new TV audience.

I think it will.  I also think promotion will enable TO to get more out of the City of Toulouse and maybe sponsorship with Aerospace, who are a massive employer there.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Last season's news is this season's fish 'n chip paper, it is history now Tex put it another way they were all losers, London the worst team in SL, Toulouse along with the other Championship teams failed to get to be the League Leaders, and Fev lost in the final. 

Does Leigh hold some trepidation for you Tex?

I couldn't think of any on field achievements for Leigh last season. Sorry, don't let it ruin your day. I stand by the point that on field efforts should count for something if they are going to pick the 12th SL team by committee.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I couldn't think of any on field achievements for Leigh last season. Sorry, don't let it ruin your day. I stand by the point that on field efforts should count for something if they are going to pick the 12th SL team by committee.

Exactly. Which is why London, Fev and Toulouse have that recent account as their best credit. (Just relegated/play off finalist/league leaders at time of lock down).

Leigh do well on other metrics, not least facilities, size of the fanbase and proven ability to invest in the squad. That puts them in the running, but on field should be a large factor where possible.

On 01/08/2020 at 16:43, The Dude said:

Watch the sport die when you have teams from towns of 50,000 people in Super League. Sky wants London, Newcastle, and other cities in Super League. TV deals will only decease without them. Revenue will not increase from towns and villages. 

Completely opposite will happen the game will die from the grassroots upwards and it's already started.

A lot is made of what Sky want SL to look like. I suspect they are not as bothered as to who makes up the league, but are very concerned that the league is relatively evenly matched and that they don’t want blow out scores happening to the same team too often, hence why there’s not that many tears being shed by Sky about the loss of Toronto, had they been a competitive team with a few wins then I’m sure there would have been a little “influence” put on SL and the RFL to keep them around, however a 0-6 team who had in fact been embarrassing at times does not make for a good TV spectacle. Sky would have enjoyed having last seasons London in SL because they competed and kept the relegation battle alive to the last week of the season, had Covid never happened there could have been a strong chance that Toronto would have remained pointless by now and that’s not what Sky want. Therefore when it comes to who replaces TWP as far as Sky is concerned it’s the team that makes for good close TV games most of the time, and is the least likely to get blown away on a weekly basis. Now that description could apply to London (there last year, good coach), Leigh (recent SL experience, good set up), maybe Fev (only concern is relying on DR at present), but I suspect not Toulouse, unless they can make a major investment in quality imports who are not coming for an easy life in France.

Oh and before someone points to today’s Leeds or Hull FC’s results I did say getting blown out regularly, these types of games will happen to almost everyone from time to time, it’s when it happens virtually every week that it makes for bad TV.

Archived