Passage to SL?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

How about wanting to win the comp their in !

If you were an owner of a Championship club being a guy who has made his fortune through seeing an opportunity and did his upmost attain it,  then do you think they are people who can see there is something better work for but someone has put a barrier across and said no entry, are they going to invest in a dead end?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That would have an effect of widening the gap even further than we have at present.

Re the America's statement, I can see you have never been involved in boardroom negotiations Tommy, I was expanding the conversation, answer it then don't just evade it?

I said some form of cap. The latter example we have already anyway.

You were expanding discussion into a territory you want to discuss because it is one you feel more confident discussing. Bringing it out of the blue suggests you're floundering in the boardroom. A naïve person would suggest it was scraping the barrel for ideas. Not cracking under pressure are we H?

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No actually I don't, as I've illustrated 

You mist certainly have Tommy, well I posed the question which you didn't answer what is your minimum spend, and now which you didnt put ibto your original post answering Liverpool Rover a maximum cap, all you said was financial contraints.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You mist certainly have Tommy, well I posed the question which you didn't answer what is your minimum spend, and now which you didnt put ibto your original post answering Liverpool Rover a maximum cap, all you said was financial contraints.

Its all back of fag packet but minimum spend 1.85 million with a soft cap at 2 million as was planned by SL anyway. No more teams on 1.5 million a year in the League 

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I said some form of cap. The latter example we have already anyway.

You were expanding discussion into a territory you want to discuss because it is one you feel more confident discussing. Bringing it out of the blue suggests you're floundering in the boardroom. A naïve person would suggest it was scraping the barrel for ideas. Not cracking under pressure are we H?

Again what is your spend level, would it be beyond some present incumbants spending power? If so who would you replace them with or do you propose going with a 6 or 7 team SL comp. 

I could say my question was a diversion tactic, but it wasn't, it was pre-empting that if clubs spent up on competeing with their contemporaries here, there would not be much spare to visit distant shores 3 or more times a year, not niave at all, just pointing out the obvious.

Edit. Seen your figs in previous post. 

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its all back of fag packet but minimum spend 1.85 million with a soft cap at 2 million as was planned by SL anyway. No more teams on 1.5 million a year in the League 

Those amounts would do no more in my opinion than satisfy wage demands of present players and agents.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Maybe without the worry of being in a relegation battle we could set our sights higher than the need to win enough games to just avoid finishing bottom. If clubs are happy to finish at the foot of the table every year because “it doesn’t matter” they will find that it does when fans stop going as they are fed up of paying money to watch losing teams. The Rovers fan base for one wouldn’t tolerate it. In the NRL teams have their bad years where they struggle at the bottom but they get through them and compete again. They certainly aren’t happy to finish bottom every year like you think clubs over here would.

That's exactly how it works in the nrl, teams "accept" a poor season often with the intent of blooding young players after releasing stars to comply with the cap. A team in the bottom 2 or 3 one season can then get too 4 a season or 2 after by building. Its why I quite liked the idea of say a 3 season exemption from relegation for promoted clubs so they have time to build rather than having to desperately whats left as they have less time to recruit.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If you were an owner of a Championship club being a guy who has made his fortune through seeing an opportunity and did his upmost attain it,  then do you think they are people who can see there is something better work for but someone has put a barrier across and said no entry, are they going to invest in a dead end?

Yes, I could because not everyone sees such a scenario as a dead end. They wouldn't be investing SL scale of money either.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

There's been only 7 winners of the FA cup since 1992, compared to 17 in the first 20 odd years after the war. Sport is getting less competitive where there are major funding disparities 

Yes , no good is it 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Everything in Rugby League is a Maybe, if Toronto get funding, if Toulouse get a TV deal, if we don't have relegation, it does get tiresome.

I am not saying it would be acceptable, but it would be the norm, 4 winners in 25 years of SL, 1 winner in the previous 8 prior to SL, it nay not be the way of the world,  but it is certainly the way of British RL, when did you last win the Championship '85 yes just checked (three years before Leigh) and it ain't going to change.

It isn’t just the way of RL. The Premier League has only had seven winners, three of those only once and there is Celtic, Bayern, Juventus and PSG who dominate their leagues because they can outspend everyone else.

9 hours ago, meast said:

Almost the same as Huddersfield, but we get slaughtered for it.

I agree though, London are a pretty likeable club for a lot of people, whether you agree with how they got into SL in the first instance or not, but like lots of rugby league clubs and the sport as a whole, they just need more backers!

Except one major difference, you guys have a secure home which is also fit for SL. I also want to clarify an earlier point I made in regard to Huddersfield, the reason I didn’t group them with the so called big 6 was because of your crowds, and I’m not sure what your corporate income is. The fans you have are like London’s, amazingly loyal and as a team I think you get a lot of unfair criticism. The club is well run, there’s an excellent junior scheme, of course you belong in SL. Cas is a similar scenario, great fans, a conveyor belt of players, but a crappy ground which is just not fit for purpose. I don’t want to kick teams out unless they just can’t cut it at that level, the problem is we don’t have anywhere near 12 teams who are honestly top flight level in all aspects, and if we make do with the existing 11 plus one more, how do we decide the twelfth when the likely aspirants all have as much a case to be there as some of the incumbents?

16 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, I could because not everyone sees such a scenario as a dead end. They wouldn't be investing SL scale of money either.

There are wealthy people over here that do the same. John Singleton knows that Newtown will never play NRL again, but does it because he loves the club and wants them to do well. They won it last year. And then play the winner of Queensland Cup on GF day.

I suppose that`s the thing, we have to make those second tier comps not appear second rate. I guess your CC gives those teams a chance to show their worth.

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

There are wealthy people over here that do the same. John Singleton knows that Newtown will never play NRL again, but does it because he loves the club and wants them to do well. They won it last year. And then play the winner of Queensland Cup on GF day.

I suppose that`s the thing, we have to make those second tier comps not appear second rate. I guess your CC gives those teams a chance to show their worth.

Bit of a contradiction there " second tier , second rate " , yes they are , you cannot change that 

11 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Often the cultural variances in nations can be small, often not so. The 'Newer' countries lack the history to have genuine rivalry between towns/city's that have been around for hundreds of years.

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Often the cultural variances in nations can be small, often not so. The 'Newer' countries lack the history to have genuine rivalry between towns/city's that have been around for hundreds of years.

Yes I understand that and it certainly complicates matters.

13 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Parochialism I think you mean.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Looks like Fev have asked for discussions with RFL/SL about taking the 12th spot in 2021.

Has it been confirmed that there has to be a 12th team? I read that is the case contractually with Sky in which case there is a bit of a conundrum.

- readmit Toronto (if even possible) 

- admit someone through a selection process, licensing in effect

- have a mini tournament this year

i like the idea of it being decided on the pitch but that may not even be possible. So how do you pick then? Fev last years runners up, London who were relegated, Toulouse who finished 2nd in the league? 

There are some big decisions coming up, I wonder if the games governing bodies can show some leadership....

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I hope a Toulouse application:  the best new for RL and SuperLeague !

Toulouse: capital city of the french rugby... Midi Olympique  headquarters (french national rugby newspaper) ... Stade Ernest Wallon,

20 000 covered seats... Stade toulousain RU goodwill... Derby with Catalans... far better french national team ... briefly: a golden

opportunity for Super league.

Leave SL at 11 teams with two relegated next year. That will make it competitive because lets be honest, there are some SL clubs currently who have ridden the crest of a wave for years and in deep dirt financially. A stint in the Championship to get rid of some dead wood and win a few games might do them some good. They might even get to spend some money on some of their grounds !!!

Championship top 10 to remain in SL2 with the promoted side going to SL.

The foundations by default of having 20 strong RL clubs with a 1 up and 1 down system in 2022.

28 fixtures in both Leagues and a Magic weekend of SL2 fixtures (5 of them) on Sat with SL1 being the Sunday.

No bias on the Magic weekend, everything played for based on league positions the week previously  1v2  3v4  5v6  7v8 and 9v10  

I dont see a future for Toronto to be Honest. I get France, I get Ireland and I get Scotland and Wales, but Canada, No. The honeymoon is over and RL must be the priority over one trans Atlantic team from Canada. My Support for Batley, Dewsbury Keighley Swinton, Cumbria etc........ will always outweigh that of any team similar to Toronto I'm afraid.

Was it Featherstone who fielded a match day squad of about 13 or 14 a couple of years ago?

Does anyone think SL could be taken seriously by tv companies or sponsors if 3 of the 12 clubs come from a few miles apart and that it is Featherstone who have the best ground. Small minded clubs,run by small minded individuals.

46 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leave SL at 11 teams with two relegated next year. That will make it competitive because lets be honest, there are some SL clubs currently who have ridden the crest of a wave for years and in deep dirt financially. A stint in the Championship to get rid of some dead wood and win a few games might do them some good. They might even get to spend some money on some of their grounds !!!

Championship top 10 to remain in SL2 with the promoted side going to SL.

The foundations by default of having 20 strong RL clubs with a 1 up and 1 down system in 2022.

28 fixtures in both Leagues and a Magic weekend of SL2 fixtures (5 of them) on Sat with SL1 being the Sunday.

No bias on the Magic weekend, everything played for based on league positions the week previously  1v2  3v4  5v6  7v8 and 9v10  

I dont see a future for Toronto to be Honest. I get France, I get Ireland and I get Scotland and Wales, but Canada, No. The honeymoon is over and RL must be the priority over one trans Atlantic team from Canada. My Support for Batley, Dewsbury Keighley Swinton, Cumbria etc........ will always outweigh that of any team similar to Toronto I'm afraid.

There is a contract with Sky that stipulates a 12 team SL

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

33 minutes ago, cookey said:

Was it Featherstone who fielded a match day squad of about 13 or 14 a couple of years ago?

Does anyone think SL could be taken seriously by tv companies or sponsors if 3 of the 12 clubs come from a few miles apart and that it is Featherstone who have the best ground. Small minded clubs,run by small minded individuals.

Both Leigh and Fev in the Championship Shield Final struggled to name sides without the goodwill of a load of sides. I know Saints sent a couple to Leigh for that game. 

31 minutes ago, cookey said:

In 2018 many clubs outside the middle 8's struggled to raise a full 17 due to the transfer window being closed very early.

Archived