Sun 2 Aug: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos KO 6.30pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/20 at 18:00

11 hours ago, Niels said:

Actually, I think the championship, where I watch rugby,  may have referees making their own decisions.

I always think that the very same refs, perform so much better in the non-televised games, it seems the pressure is off they know they are not being scrutinised for the full 80 minutes they are out there, no inquests and no replays for those fans who would get on their backs. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did you miss the full backs reaction? 

No that's why I said 'hardly'.

Again I, really not sure what the issue is, the ref was sure he saw it grounded so awarded the try, if he had sent it upstairs he would have sent it up as a try and there was no evidence to say it definitely wasn't so a try would have been awarded.

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again I, really not sure what the issue is, the ref was sure he saw it grounded so awarded the try, if he had sent it upstairs he would have sent it up as a try and there was no evidence to say it definitely wasn't so a try would have been awarded.

That is exactly the point here! The ref believes he saw it grounded so awarded it - not one single angle from Sky's numerous cameras proved it definitely didn't. Therefore try is awarded regardless of him going to the screen or not! And for those ready to say 'yeah but what if an angle did prove it was held up.....?' ,well you know how the saying goes....if my gran had a pair of bol........

Unlikely comeback but added massively to the entertainment.  

Huddersfield were the better team for 60 mins and should have managed the end-game better. 

The one thing I was really pleased about was shutting up the commentator that never stopped telling us how fantastic Huddersfield were. They certainly played well, but all of a sudden they were world beaters. 

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Unlikely comeback but added massively to the entertainment.  

Huddersfield were the better team for 60 mins and should have managed the end-game better. 

The one thing I was really pleased about was shutting up the commentator that never stopped telling us how fantastic Huddersfield were. They certainly played well, but all of a sudden they were world beaters. 

To be fair they were making out we only got a grip on the game due to Leeds having to re-shuffle following injury but for some reason their amazing comeback didn't offer the Giants the same clause following losing 2 at the same time.

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

To be fair they were making out we only got a grip on the game due to Leeds having to re-shuffle following injury but for some reason their amazing comeback didn't offer the Giants the same clause following losing 2 at the same time.

yep, not sure the Leeds re-shuffle made any difference to Huddersfield ascendancy - they were so superior.  Of course Leeds poor handling, penalties and poor defence and jumping out the line helped Huddersfield but that would have been the same anyway.

43 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No that's why I said 'hardly'.

Dont need to go all over it again Chris, I was just asking the question if you saw Golding's reaction to the ref or not, he was one of the tacklers and looked completely bemused that it had been awarded, but fair play to him he didn't make a song and dance of it, or not to long before saw the consequences of Handleys spat.

That was a strange one, don't know which was worse the Giant's collapse or Leeds'  first 65 minute's effort, saddens me that we are going to lose full coverage of the NRL to 'enjoy' such mistake riddled efforts as these 2 games☹️

9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

That was a strange one, don't know which was worse the Giant's collapse or Leeds'  first 65 minute's effort, saddens me that we are going to lose full coverage of the NRL to 'enjoy' such mistake riddled efforts as these 2 games☹️

And yet I personally enjoyed those 2 games more than any of the NRL games I've watched.

16 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

The first few rounds of the NRL were mistake riddled

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’m OKish with Golden Point but I don’t believe drop goals should count!

What happens in GP isn’t really Rugby League as both teams no longer try to move the ball through the hands in an attempt to score a try. It becomes a drop goal fest with some games degenerating into farce as both teams snatch at a drop goal from silly situations. We’ve seen games where there’s been 8 or 10 attempts.

Weve also seen games, important ones like the £1M game where the team kicking off in GP never had a chance to win the game because they never had possession. Despite defending well the receiving team has dropped a 45m goal and won the game.

IMO GP should be settled by a try or a penalty, that would look much more like the game of Rugby League and we’d see less farcical ends to matches.

I would also say that each team should be allowed 1 set each before the golden point comes into play, often it's the team who receives who get the winning points, not really a fair way IMO.

I still stick with my personal pet theory, which is that a try in extra time immediately wins the match, but any points kicked only gain victory if they give a team the lead at the end of either extra time period.

Other concepts have been suggested, but as long as both sides get the time for a chance at the win (whether they choose to run or kick), I'd be okay with any sensible change.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dont need to go all over it again Chris, I was just asking the question if you saw Golding's reaction to the ref or not, he was one of the tacklers and looked completely bemused that it had been awarded, but fair play to him he didn't make a song and dance of it, or not to long before saw the consequences of Handleys spat.

Are we taking a fullbacks reaction to decide whether a try has been scored against a team or not. If so Saints never conceded a legitimate try during Wellens career.  

Huddersfield shouldn’t have collapsed the way they did but Mellors “try” shouldn’t have been awarded, Gaskell looked to me like he got smacked right in the back of the head at the end of the 80 minutes which should have been a penalty and Lawrence was manhandled around the head in GP which would have given them a kickable penalty in front of the posts.

I thought it was going to be illegal for the third man in a tackle to go below the knees and I saw that happen a few times and no action was taken.

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Are we taking a fullbacks reaction to decide whether a try has been scored against a team or not. If so Saints never conceded a legitimate try during Wellens career.  

Apart from that day when he broke his arm...

The "Fallen" Angel of the North is a contemporary sculpture ...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Huddersfield shouldn’t have collapsed the way they did but Mellors “try” shouldn’t have been awarded, Gaskell looked to me like he got smacked right in the back of the head at the end of the 80 minutes which should have been a penalty and Lawrence was manhandled around the head in GP which would have given them a kickable penalty in front of the posts.

I thought it was going to be illegal for the third man in a tackle to go below the knees and I saw that happen a few times and no action was taken.

I also noticed that this did occur on quite a few occasions, in fact I cannot remember it ever being penalised, perhap's the ref simply forgot about it, I can't  think of any otger explanation.

But if we noticed it others like Mr Ganson should also have noticed it and it will be pointed out at the weekly refs meeting, watch out next week it will be blown up for all the time.

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I still stick with my personal pet theory, which is that a try in extra time immediately wins the match, but any points kicked only gain victory if they give a team the lead at the end of either extra time period.

Other concepts have been suggested, but as long as both sides get the time for a chance at the win (whether they choose to run or kick), I'd be okay with any sensible change.

Thats how I would like to see it, it works well in the NFL. I think the difference to your way is the NFL teams get one go each if the other team scores with a kick. If they then fail on their drive they lose.

On 02/08/2020 at 20:07, graveyard johnny said:

i had forgot just how rubbish myler is

Just watched the game back, what did myler do wrong ? He dropped one high ball the rest of the game he was very good. Is it a case of you just hate him ? A bit like me with Liam Farrell.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Thats how I would like to see it, it works well in the NFL. I think the difference to your way is the NFL teams get one go each if the other team scores with a kick. If they then fail on their drive they lose.

Silver point* imo is what RL should use it didn’t work in football because teams can kill the game. It’s perfect for RL though and you don’t get the slight unfinished business feel I get with golden point. 

*Silver point basically you complete the full 5 mins each way of extra time. Should it still be level after extra time the winner is the team that scored first points in extra time. Preferable because once a team has conceded in then they know what they have to do. 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed, but in my opinion the standard of general play was much higher, and the quality of the majority of the player's is a few rungs higher up the ladder.

Yeah I'd agree generally, though the caveats are that the NRL is the best rugby competition on the planet and has a salary cap twice if not more so than ours (plus everything else)

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I also noticed that this did occur on quite a few occasions, in fact I cannot remember it ever being penalised, perhap's the ref simply forgot about it, I can't  think of any otger explanation.

But if we noticed it others like Mr Ganson should also have noticed it and it will be pointed out at the weekly refs meeting, watch out next week it will be blown up for all the time.

Hopefully it will.

Archived