Biggest rivalry by decade

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

The game which put James Lowes in the shop window - Doug Laughton signed him from the Hun right after that match.

But Cas vs Leeds has always been a competitive derby, since I've been watching in the '80s Cas have won probably the majority of the games at Wheldon Road.

A good game too, 28 - 20 to Leeds.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

They were and still are big rivalries though. We played eachother in all the big finals and semi finals, including 3 Grand Finals on the bounce. At the 08 world cup the players involved cited that rivalry specifically as a reason for the lack of success. That is more of a genuine rivalry to me than against more local opposition who have struggled to be at that top level consistently. 

I recall a 2008 WC post-mortem by the RFL which identified players not mixing outside their club groups as an issue. Leeds and St Helens provided a large chunk of the key players in the first 17 and the club rivalry at the time between those 2 sides is thought to have played significant a part in the campaign failure. I went on that tour and a few times I saw players out and about, every time they were with their own club mates only. It's something the RFL subsequently worked to change.

40 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I recall a 2008 WC post-mortem by the RFL which identified players not mixing outside their club groups as an issue. Leeds and St Helens provided a large chunk of the key players in the first 17 and the club rivalry at the time between those 2 sides is thought to have played significant a part in the campaign failure. I went on that tour and a few times I saw players out and about, every time they were with their own club mates only. It's something the RFL subsequently worked to change.

Indeed. I've heard that it would be Leeds at the back of the bus and saints at the front etc. Its definitely something the RFL have worked to deliberately change.

Back in the early 60s I always thought Wigan were Wakefield's main rival.  Both top teams with the added impetus of being opposite sides of the Pennines.   Later in the 60s it seemed to switch to Leeds but I believe the whole of the rest of Rugby League hated Leeds during that period so maybe that and The Watersplash clouds my memory somewhat.

Since entering Super League (or maybe refusing to get relegated) everybody hates us so take your pick.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are there any big rivalries in France that anyone knows of?

I imagine that between Carcassonne and Limoux is pretty keen, as they are only about 15 miles apart.

In the 1960s, when I began watching, Wigan -v- Saints was a very strong rivalry.  In February, 1965, almost 40,000 (me included!) packed central park for a cup tie, which Wigan won by 7 points to 2.  The crowd paid, on average, 3/5d for the privilege of being there!  As a lad, I would have got in for something like 6d (2.5p in that there new fangled money!)

4 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Wakefield’s Derbies are Leeds Cas Fev the importance of each depends on your age.  The older generation who were lucky enough to see great 60s team regard Leeds as the Derby match younger ones cas.  

Up the Trin 

I take your point on derbies, WCL, but like Wollo Wollo Wayoo, I recall the rivalry in the mid-60s between Trinity and Wigan being intense.

I find it weird hearing Leeds fans suggest Cas is their big rivalry. Cas have Fev and Wakey right next door with Wakey being a similar level until Cas improved after Powell went there. Wakey is closer to Leeds as well.

Leeds / Bradford was a good one until Bulls fell away. 

The Hull rivalry takes some beating as does Wigan Saints given it’s usually at the top end of the sport in the UK

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The Late great Harry Jepson once told me and several others about the Hunslet _ Leeds rivalry in the City . He said it came to a stage that they had to stop the preseason charity game The Lazenby Cup  because it was played with such ferocity players were getting major injuries in front of crowds of 20k . All for a pre season " friendly " 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The Late great Harry Jepson once told me and several others about the Hunslet _ Leeds rivalry in the City . He said it came to a stage that they had to stop the preseason charity game The Lazenby Cup  because it was played with such ferocity players were getting major injuries in front of crowds of 20k . All for a pre season " friendly " 

Its a shame how Hunslet have faded tbh

23 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Rivalry yes, but not the same as a derby. I was looking forward to my team Featherstone taking on Wakefield in the Cup this season as Wakefield are only second to Castleford for our derby. In recent seasons we have had some great games with Halifax and Leigh. You won't remember, but Leeds used to have some tasty games with Bramley as well as Hunslet.

On 31/07/2020 at 23:07, Gooleboy said:

Cas v Feath, a great derby. I  and many others, both sides of the persuasion miss it so much.

True 

C%s and wakey have always been derby rivals to FEV but in different ways up to the mid sixties it was wakey that my dad wanted to see with C%s being the noisy neighbours

from 1960  lads and lasses like me from FEV were sent to school in C%S  growing up it built up the rivalry so they became number one and for me wakey became the noisy neighbours

18 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Aside from derbies, the Saints vs Leeds games from 2008-2011 were always very intense. Especially towards the start of that period there seemed to be some bad blood between the teams.

Those three Grand finals  2007 08 09 .in that period these two teams were clearly by far the best in SL . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 01/08/2020 at 10:03, Gooleboy said:

Rivalry yes, but not the same as a derby. I was looking forward to my team Featherstone taking on Wakefield in the Cup this season as Wakefield are only second to Castleford for our derby. In recent seasons we have had some great games with Halifax and Leigh. You won't remember, but Leeds used to have some tasty games with Bramley as well as Hunslet.

That is true but I think the point of this discussion was to look at clashes that developed into big rivalries for reasons other than geographical proximity.

Otherwise it’s far too easy and lazy to just trot out all the usual well known derby games.

For this reason Leeds - Saints with the well publicised World Cup hangover is a great example as is Leigh - Toronto.

Archived