NRL on the radio?

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Got a long holiday drive in a few days

Might save a couple of games to listen to 'as live' 

Anyone know if any Aussie radio commentaries for NRL games? Live or downloadable 

ABC Grandstand do NRL commentary - https://www.abc.net.au/radio/grandstand/live/ - if you can't watch a game, they usually have audio commentary.

I don't know if they do full match downloads, but you never know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Anyone know if any Aussie radio commentaries for NRL games? Live or downloadable 

I assume you’re not married?

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes I am but I own a pair of headphones

For a minute I thought you were going to treat your family to a delayed ‘live’ commentary of Wests v NZW en route to your holiday - they’d love that!

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You will get it on the NRL site mate.  On the match link, just underneath the clock ticking down, there is a ‘listen’ link.   Usually a couple  of links (2gb is one)

More info here.

https://www.nrl.com/bega/broadcast-information/

Sundays after mid day the ABC have Mathew Elliot, I think he coached Bradford, speaks very fondly of his time in England, provides excellent analysis and Andrew Moore is a brilliant commentator. Has gone a bit `light entertainment` but still good. Futtocks , above provides the link.

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have tried and tried but they will only watch league to humour me

My daughter quite likes it, having taken her to Carrow Road a few times rugby league must seem really exciting in comparison. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

My daughter quite likes it, having taken her to Carrow Road a few times rugby league must seem really exciting in comparison. 

Oh they come to the games because I make them... I bribe the kids with a McDonald's and the missus gets a treat from the Bedfordshire Bronco if we win 😁

7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

You will get it on the NRL site mate.  On the match link, just underneath the clock ticking down, there is a ‘listen’ link.   Usually a couple  of links (2gb is one)

More info here.

https://www.nrl.com/bega/broadcast-information/

Yes, unfortunately, 2GB is one option, for Sydney games at least. The continuous call team think they are hilarious, but I'm not sure anyone else does.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, unfortunately, 2GB is one option, for Sydney games at least. The continuous call team think they are hilarious, but I'm not sure anyone else does.

It’s a different couple of stations every week, dependant on the game.  

On the NRL live station, they were arguing today.  One commentator was telling the other that ‘the Ref will make that call, not you’ and the other was saying ‘yes, but I’m telling you what call he’s going to make’.  Gotta laugh.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

It’s a different couple of stations every week, dependant on the game.  

On the NRL live station, they were arguing today.  One commentator was telling the other that ‘the Ref will make that call, not you’ and the other was saying ‘yes, but I’m telling you what call he’s going to make’.  Gotta laugh.

I remember 2GB covering Origin, and talking about all the countries round the world listening in. The resultant range of comedy racist stereotype accents marked them out as a bunch of slack-jawed yahoos.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I remember 2GB covering Origin, and talking about all the countries round the world listening in. The resultant range of comedy racist stereotype accents marked them out as a bunch of slack-jawed yahoos.

The ABC up to about 5 years ago had Dave Morrow as the caller and Warren Ryan( legendary coach) as his off- sider providing analysis. Several years before him Brian( Mr. Intensity)Smith filled the role. 10 hours from midday on Saturdays and up to 8 hours on a Sunday. Probably all up about 20 plus years. It was the heyday of serious radio analysis and coverage of league . I can`t tell how much I miss those blokes with their thoughtful analysis, in- depth discussions and dry humour. Many was the weekend that I would wile away the whole afternoon and evening listening to them.

A classic example occurred recently when Andrew Moore interviewed the Storm CEO. I was was really looking forward to some tough questions on their growth strategy, their finances ,their penetration in to that hostile market. All we got from Moore is a powder puff piece about how wonderful a job  they do. Basically blowing " smoke up his #### ". Very disappointing. It`s all like that now.

Don`t get me wrong the blokes on there now are passionate and Moore is a great caller, but unfortunately the ABC has gone the ` light entertainment ` path, similar but not as bad as 2GB. I often turn it off now  and I doubt it will ever return.

I can live with that,  it just concerns me that Rugby League is painting itself into a corner with  regards it`s audience.

Archived