It's...... YORKSHIRE DAY!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Pipe down, you lot from the wrong side of the hill.

It’s not started yet.

But these things become important when you become, like me, an exile.  I've got my Yorkshire flag all ready for Sunday.  

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

22 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Wasn't Guy Fawkes from Yorkshire bloody shame it didn't work out 🙂

Born in Stonegate, York and went to St. Peter's school. A school where they don't celebrate guy fawkes day. I remember a former school head declaring "we don't not burn effigies of our old boys at this school"..... tha noze!

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

My pal Dalgit, born n bread in Seacroft, sees himself primarily as a yorkshireman. 

Makes a fuss of yorkshire day, a yorks ccc member, never misses the Scarborough festival and proudly wears a proper coloured rose.... none of the nonsense associated with minor counties.

Yorkshire day and Diwali are treated more or less the same to him and his family. He is a man proud of his heritage, recent and not so recent.

I enjoy multiculturalism.

Our local Indian eatery has a dish called Pride of Yorkshire , chicken dish made with rhubarb , called in last Yorkshire day and ordered it , owner was unaware there was such a thing as Yorkshire day , he is Bradford based. 

I was in Market Weighton on Monday and pleased to see the main street bedecked with both the Union Jack and Yorkshire flags, a wonderful sight.

The more I drive around the county just lately the more Yorkshire flags I see.

Driving through Bubwith (the county has some wonderful village names) I passed a cottage with jars of local honey on sale, £4 for a 1lb jar, marvellous value, nobody to take your money just an honesty jar for you to put it in.😀

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think this sort of Terrorist organisation should be reported.

If the white rose county (all lower case), should have a recognised "County Day", so should all the other Counties in the United Kingdom.

Leave them be with their famous puddings that are savoury not sweet, tea that tastes like gravy, their ‘surrender’ rosettes and the cold pasties.

For them it’s a day out, for the rest of us it’s a day off! 😉

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

If the white rose county (all lower case), should have a recognised "County Day", so should all the other Counties in the United Kingdom.

Jealousy is a terrible trait Bleep. You’ll no doubt be even more annoyed to learn that Yorkshire enjoys four special days, one each for the Three Ridings and August 1st for the whole of Yorkshire.😀

I'm currently contemplating a move to Yorkshire, and it's been quite noticeable how many Yorkshire flags are flying round the place. I always assume it's people who need a daily reminder where they are. Same reason you see flags everywhere in America.

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Peter Sallis, who played Cleggy, and Wallace in the Wallace & Gromit films was born in Twickenham, & died in Northwood.

Wallace lives in Wigan, of course. Nick Park says they chose Wensleydale as his favourite cheese because it sounded funnier than other cheeses.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:22, Bleep1673 said:

Peter Sallis, who played Cleggy, and Wallace in the Wallace & Gromit films was born in Twickenham, & died in Northwood.

But is buried at St John the Evangelist Churchyard, Upperthong, West Yorkshire, England

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:15, Bleep1673 said:

Tomorrow we expect all White Rosers to be watching endless repeats of Emmerdale, Open All Hours, & Last of the Summer Wine, and leave humanity alone for 24 hours.

Personally I spent most of Yesterday either in Yorkshire or driving to Yorkshire in order to watch my team Featherstone Rovers lose to Toulouse along with another 4000 odd other Yorkies.

Clement Attlee.

On 30/07/2021 at 16:47, Bleep1673 said:

Get on with it then

Clement Attlee.

On 30/07/2021 at 18:08, Moose said:

Jealousy is a terrible trait Bleep. You’ll no doubt be even more annoyed to learn that Yorkshire enjoys four special days, one each for the Three Ridings and August 1st for the whole of Yorkshire.😀

Electoral districts in Canada are called Ridings. Do we know if this is linked to the historical divisions of a certain far-too-large English county?

Archived