It's...... YORKSHIRE DAY!

20 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Electoral districts in Canada are called Ridings. Do we know if this is linked to the historical divisions of a certain far-too-large English county?

Lincolnshire has ridings, and some parts of Ireland were dividing up into ridings (although not necessarily 3 in each case, which suggests the original meaning had been forgotten).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right then Yorkshire folk.

We're seriously considering a move to Yorkshire in the next few months. I've had various estate agents wax lyrical about God's Own County, and I've jokingly responded that a God who preferred Keighley or Doncaster to say Milford Sound or the Amalfi Coast maybe needed to get out a bit more. The big Yorkshire cities (Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, Bradford) all seem very second rate in comparison to the other big Northern cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle) in terms of history, culture, music, architecture and so on. What, in your opinion, makes Yorkshire so great?

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Right then Yorkshire folk.

We're seriously considering a move to Yorkshire in the next few months. I've had various estate agents wax lyrical about God's Own County, and I've jokingly responded that a God who preferred Keighley or Doncaster to say Milford Sound or the Amalfi Coast maybe needed to get out a bit more. The big Yorkshire cities (Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, Bradford) all seem very second rate in comparison to the other big Northern cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle) in terms of history, culture, music, architecture and so on. What, in your opinion, makes Yorkshire so great?

Why do you want to live in Yorkshire?

If you’re motivated by city life or the urban experience then I agree that you’re going to be disappointed (I have lived in Sheffield, Leeds and Hull previously) in comparison to say London or to a lesser extent Manchester.

I think the rural-semi rural life can be recommended - I personally enjoyed living in the Hebden Bridge area for a few years which seemed to combine the best aspects of tradition and modernity from a cultural aspect.

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why do you want to live in Yorkshire?

I think the rural-semi rural life can be recommended - I personally enjoyed living in the Hebden Bridge area for a few years which seemed to combine the best aspects of tradition and modernity from a cultural aspect.

We're looking at moving to the dales (most likely Richmond/Leyburn kind of area) or possibly North York Moors. I do need to drag my wife round hebden bridge/ Tod and Settle/ western dales soon before making decisions.

My question was more general though. I think the rest of the country rolls their eyes a bit when people say they're from Yorkshire. I'm interested to hear why the locals think it's so great 

18 minutes ago, JonM said:

We're looking at moving to the dales (most likely Richmond/Leyburn kind of area) or possibly North York Moors. I do need to drag my wife round hebden bridge/ Tod and Settle/ western dales soon before making decisions.

My question was more general though. I think the rest of the country rolls their eyes a bit when people say they're from Yorkshire. I'm interested to hear why the locals think it's so great 

I think with the Hebden Bridge area then you actually have quite a large influx of people from other areas of the country all choosing to live and make the best of it while preserving some traditional aspects.

In some senses then you’re perhaps not getting the traditional rural experience of Yorkshire, but it does make it easier to integrate in the community as being an outsider is not an issue.  

There are a lot community based things happening so you will find something that floats your boat to get involved in and I think that’s been behind the success of the town - most people have a positive ‘can do’ attitude to making things work.

I lived in Yorkshire for both study and work and personally I always loved the fact that there’s beautiful scenery within minimal travel distances.  The people generally are straightforward and while there may not be as much to ‘do’ as a large sprawling city as London there’s still impressive art galleries and perhaps it’s just a case of putting in a bit more effort to find them than say just plonking yourself in central London.

This all coming from a proud Lancastrian btw!

Archived