If

We do see a closed shop again , what do the various different fans see the lower tiers looking like if it comes about ?

Personally this is what I would want to happen 

A lower tier CEO appointed by the clubs ( I'd happily do it ) a la Elstone 

A complete break from all things SL

No signing of any SL players over the age of 20 , 

No SL coaches moving down to Championship 1 or 2 , 

All Championship players tied into the Championships for 10 years ,

The British Championships to contest the RL Challenge Cup ,

All the Championship Clubs to set up player pathways via the community clubs ,

No Championship players or coaches to move up to SL without serious financial compensation 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

All Championship players tied into the Championships for 10 years

Can you expand on this one.  What do mean specifically and how would it be enforced?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Why would any ambitious young player sign up to that?

Doesn't every player want to play at the highest level they can?

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not enforceable unless players are forced into an unprecedented exclusivity clause. 

That was my instinct as well. You either give players 10 contracts to tie them in which seems extreme or you add some kind of restrictive covenant that says a player can't sign for a Super League club post contract and that is completely unenforceable. 

But I will hear what ideas GUBRATS has on it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We do see a closed shop again , what do the various different fans see the lower tiers looking like if it comes about ?

Personally this is what I would want to happen 

A lower tier CEO appointed by the clubs ( I'd happily do it ) a la Elstone 

A complete break from all things SL

No signing of any SL players over the age of 20 , 

No SL coaches moving down to Championship 1 or 2 , 

The British Championships to contest the RL Challenge Cup ,

All the Championship Clubs to set up player pathways via the community clubs ,

No Championship players or coaches to move up to SL without serious financial compensation 

Don't see it happening mate.

Player pathways are going to go to the top level rather than any second tier, especially if players are restricted from progressing onwards from that level.

Players aren't going to sign up for 10 years, or rather cut themselves off from Super League for a decade, especially young players.

Is the RL challenge cup different to the challenge cup now?

No SL coaches moving down is a silly position. Thats how sports and ideas advance. That would only make the competition a worse environment for player development.

To me, the only way this works, and perhaps the reason why your suggesting it, is as a rival to a closed shop super league. 

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Can you expand on this one.  What do mean specifically and how would it be enforced?

Players would sign a central Championship contract as well as a club contract 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That was my instinct as well. You either give players 10 contracts to tie them in which seems extreme or you add some kind of restrictive covenant that says a player can't sign for a Super League club post contract and that is completely unenforceable. 

But I will hear what ideas GUBRATS has on it.

My instinct on reading that bit as well as the no Coaches moving down etc is that the aim of this comp is to be a rival outside of Super League. Sort of like how in US baseball there are the American League and the National League that eventually came under the one overall body

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Players would sign a central Championship contract as well as a club contract 

Why would they do that? I mean that genuinely not sniping. What is it that the Championship offers to keep them for 10 years?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

They would have to make a choice 

What 20 year old could make that choice seriously. And even then, what 20 year old would choose the lesser division when they surely could just be signed by a Championship club later on? 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Player pathways are going to go to the top level rather than any second tier, especially if players are restricted from progressing onwards from that level.

Players aren't going to sign up for 10 years, or rather cut themselves off from Super League for a decade, especially young players.

No SL coaches moving down is a silly position. Thats how sports and ideas advance. That would only make the competition a worse environment for player development.

To me, the only way this works, and perhaps the reason why your suggesting it, is as a rival to a closed shop super league. 

Eventually yes , that would have to be the aim 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Eventually yes , that would have to be the aim 

Thats why it won't happen or would be a Super League war style split - which is destructive to all involved.

I say this as someone who doesn't want a closed shop for English teams.

24 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why would any ambitious young player sign up to that?

Doesn't every player want to play at the highest level they can?

Yes they do , but they'd have to make a choice at 20 , stick out for SL or return to the community club 

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The Challenge Cup to be played for by the British Championship clubs , why do SL clubs need another competition , the NFL/NRL don't have them 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What 20 year old could make that choice seriously. And even then, what 20 year old would choose the lesser division when they surely could just be signed by a Championship club later on? 

No ex SL contracted player to be signed by a Championship ( divs 1 and 2 ) club after the age of 20 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

The Challenge Cup to be played for by the British Championship clubs , why do SL clubs need another competition , the NFL/NRL don't have them 

The current Challenge Cup is for all RFL clubs plus some invitational sides all the way to community, university and services level. Any difference to that would require a new cup.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats why it won't happen or would be a Super League war style split - which is destructive to all involved.

I say this as someone who doesn't want a closed shop for English teams.

I wasn't asking if you wanted it or not , just how you would see the lower tiers operate ' if ' it happened ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No ex SL contracted player to be signed by a Championship ( divs 1 and 2 ) club after the age of 20 

Seems a bit cut off your nose to spite your face. And unwise when as far as I can tell this is a semi pro league without the games biggest names in?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I wasn't asking if you wanted it or not , just how you would see the lower tiers operate ' if ' it happened ?

Collapse within 3 years of no super league money and no ex SL players coming down.

Archived