Giants players on BLM

16 minutes ago, Celt said:

I think it probably does have less FWIW. Just my opinion. 

And I really think that the fact we have the fanbase we do, prevents a lot of general sports fans turning up at Rugby League events.

After the previous discussion on racism on here, I had a discussion with another poster on here (by message) who had backed me up on the forum. I mentioned that Liverpool v Napoli had attracted 65k for a friendly in Edinburgh. I pointed out that all the general Edinburgh-based sports fans who had turned up in their thousands, would never come along to a Rugby League game (or certainly not more than once) as they would feel completely out of place listening to insults about "Bollywood" etc etc.

The Rugby League fanbase is for the most part miles away from people who would be attracted to major sporting events as casual fans. Neither of us could envisage the sort of Edinburgh resident who splashes out for a Liverpool v Napoli "event", feeling at home at many Rugby League games.

This is not to say all RL crowds are like that. But on first impressions, I think a lot of people would be put off.

Thanks for the reply which I thought was very interesting and informative. 

I like visiting Edinburgh. Which teams do you think would be popular there?  

19 minutes ago, Celt said:

I think it probably does have less FWIW. Just my opinion. 

And I really think that the fact we have the fanbase we do, prevents a lot of general sports fans turning up at Rugby League events.

After the previous discussion on racism on here, I had a discussion with another poster on here (by message) who had backed me up on the forum. I mentioned that Liverpool v Napoli had attracted 65k for a friendly in Edinburgh. I pointed out that all the general Edinburgh-based sports fans who had turned up in their thousands, would never come along to a Rugby League game (or certainly not more than once) as they would feel completely out of place listening to insults about "Bollywood" etc etc.

The Rugby League fanbase is for the most part miles away from people who would be attracted to major sporting events as casual fans. Neither of us could envisage the sort of Edinburgh resident who splashes out for a Liverpool v Napoli "event", feeling at home at many Rugby League games.

This is not to say all RL crowds are like that. But on first impressions, I think a lot of people would be put off.

what a stupid comparison  65 k at a liverpool match  liverpool have thousands of fans from all over the world  so 65k is normal 

even though edinborough has it's own liverpool supporters club  AULD REEKIE REDS doubt thousands of edinborough sports  fans turned  up instead fans  from all over the country did just because it was liverpool

26 minutes ago, Celt said:

I pointed out that all the general Edinburgh-based sports fans who had turned up in their thousands, would never come along to a Rugby League game (or certainly not more than once) as they would feel completely out of place listening to insults about "Bollywood" etc etc.

I think we might be being a bit harsh here.

I doubt that's the main reason that general Edinburgh-based sports fans wouldn't turn up to a Rugby League game. Most general sport fans—not just that, most newspaper sports editors— don't know Rugby League exists.

Football is big in Edinburgh. Another factor: I know staunch Liverpool FC supporters who couldn't point to Liverpool on a map.

Sorry if that sounds reactionary, but I talked my best mate into going to Tynecastle to watch London against Bradford many, many years ago. And he dragged some of his mates along with him. And they all loved it. And did we follow it up at all? Ever? Of course we didn't.

And, to reiterate, I don't think out fanbase puts people off attending games.  I'd like to think RL fans are less racist than other sports fans. Best British player in the last 40 years? Ellery, obviously. Nobody is going to argue with that.

I think RL is missing out on a massive player pool. They should actively target the many different communities in the UK. There are large Afro Caribbean, Asian, Polish, Czech communities in the UK and in many of the heartland areas. Promoting the game in these communities and attracting kids to play the game would instantly increase the player pool and would potentially unearth the next big star of the game.

I also believe sport is a great tool to promote cohesion between communities, especially RL, as the nature of the game and the battles on the pitch alongside your team mates creates bonds for life regardless of the ethnicity of the individual players

Archived