Israel Folau's stand

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

No doubt it’s god related... only kneel for god or something..

That a good call and I think people would be fine with that.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest what did McNamara say? I didn't see the interviews.

I've no opinion on him not kneeling down (which is what i still prefer to call it rather than it's new terminology) as stuff like that HAS to be a personal choice.

34 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The man’s an idiot, I think we can all acknowledge that. There’s been no indication that he is racist or opposes this anti-racist movement. I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and that this is one of those “they can’t tell me what to do” stances.

in any case you’d think the sensible thing to do in his situation would be keep your head down and not cause any problems. But he is an idiot so....

So because he doesn't follow the rest of the sheep he's an idiot. I wouldn't kneel for blm it doesn't make me an idiot or a racist.

The video shown in with the 3 Huddersfield lads, along with Offiah's comments afterwards for me demonstrated perfectly what the BLM campaign is about.

However, while don't agree with what Folau did, I support his right to choose what to do. It's entirely up to him, and that goes for all the other players who choose to kneel. It's ludicrous to suggest anyone is being forced into it.

6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Out of interest what did McNamara say? I didn't see the interviews.

I've no opinion on him not kneeling down (which is what i still prefer to call it rather than it's new terminology) as stuff like that HAS to be a personal choice.

Of course it’s his personal choice, however when players ‘taking the knee’ is a show of unity against racism then it’s not surprising when its questioned why someone doesn’t do it.

not taking a knee doesn’t automatically make him a racist though

40 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The man’s an idiot, I think we can all acknowledge that. There’s been no indication that he is racist or opposes this anti-racist movement. I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and that this is one of those “they can’t tell me what to do” stances.

in any case you’d think the sensible thing to do in his situation would be keep your head down and not cause any problems. But he is an idiot so....

No; not all of us.  Personally I thought he was brave not to kneel down.  If he does not agree with the movement then he is simply showing integrity by not bowing to it.  To do so when he knows there is pressure to conform and will be mass hysteria when he makes his stand shows courage.  'Courage of their conviction' used to be an admired quality even when it was a conviction others did not agree with.  Some in British society appear to have lost the ability to disagree with others without hurling insults or making derogatory statements.

I tend to be guided on this subject by the experiences as told by black people of being black in the U.K. 

I’ll listen to other voices of course, but they carry less weight for me.

You only have to look at the media reports of Israel Folau’s actions which rightly or wrongly have cast a shadow over what should have been a celebration over the return of Super League.

9 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

The video shown in with the 3 Huddersfield lads, along with Offiah's comments afterwards for me demonstrated perfectly what the BLM campaign is about.

But is that what the BLM campaign is about?  Or did those three lads (and I watched the video) simply share their experiences of racism?  The BLM campaign is rooted in American society and focused heavily on defunding the police and undermining capitalism, neither of which have any basis in reality in the States.  Falau isn't white; he will have experienced racism himself.  I'm quite sure he will want a society free of racism as do most of us.  I don't believe BLM to be the answer; I find it terribly divisive and it risks setting back what progress we have made in Britain because it isn't representative of where we are.  But that is because it is a fundamentally American movement.

59 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Fascist Left you say? Please enlighten us on this oxymoronic political group

It's a well acknowledged and recognised point that the "left" are using fascist methodologies to promote and progress their ideologies. 

What Hitler, Mussolini, Franco did works...

Close down free speech, thought, harang and bully dissenting voices, gives them generic descriptors (Parasites, Karens', Gammons', Oreos, Coconuts etc), book burning, re-write history, de-platform people you don't agree with.

Left wing is still left, and right wing is still right - the extremes of both remain hateful.

In the US, the term "liberal" is now claimed by the left (or maybe given to them by the right).

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

But is that what the BLM campaign is about?  Or did those three lads (and I watched the video) simply share their experiences of racism?  The BLM campaign is rooted in American society and focused heavily on defunding the police and undermining capitalism, neither of which have any basis in reality in the States.  Falau isn't white; he will have experienced racism himself.  I'm quite sure he will want a society free of racism as do most of us.  I don't believe BLM to be the answer; I find it terribly divisive and it risks setting back what progress we have made in Britain because it isn't representative of where we are.  But that is because it is a fundamentally American movement.

The BLM organisation, a solely US entity, is a hateful and dangerous, who interestingly have just re-written their entire website and deleted their previously stated mission statement to destroy the US, democracy and capitalism. Hardcore anarchy.

The BLM "movement", is entirely honourable and just in it's aims of fairness and equality.

I've got no issue with him at all, it doesn't make him an idiot, nor does it make him racist or bigoted etc, it just means he has a freedom of choice and he chose to exercise that freedom of choice.

But because he didn't kneel, does that mean he doesn't support the ideas of change and the rights of black people? Or does it mean he doesn't agree with the gesture?

Either way it's his choice and he shouldn't be criticised, neither should people who do choose to kneel down.

3 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

No but he doesn't need to kneel.

I don't think anyone suggested he needs to kneel. Some have just questioned what his reasons for not kneeling were? The kneeling isn't about subservience by the way, which you have suggested, it is about recognition and solidarity with a cause. And finally I think you misunderstood why he was called an idiot. I believe it is because of his previous comments, not his actions today.

2 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I don't think anyone suggested he needs to kneel. Some have just questioned what his reasons for not kneeling were? The kneeling isn't about subservience by the way, which you have suggested, it is about recognition and solidarity with a cause. And finally I think you misunderstood why he was called an idiot. I believe it is because of his previous comments, not his actions today.

I know about his previous comments and his views and it is still his choice and his choice if he wishes not to disclose them.

You guys do see the inherent problem in a group of predominantly white blokes insinuating that a BAME person is racist for not doing something...

(Having been to Australia I have no doubt Israel has seen and faced open racism on a regular basis throughout his life)

Archived