League One

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

However, dkw, Barrow are not older than Workington Town or Whitehaven as a Cumbrian club.  They did not become that until the great  re-organisation of local government in 1974; previously the town was in Lancashire and no doubt many of an older generation will still consider it to be so.

For the purposes of this debate they’re a Cumbrian club , and none of this changes the fact the original argument disparaging the 3 pro clubs was totally ignorant tripe !

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dkw said:

Both very good points, I'm going down a rabbit hole here trying to find out if Workington were the first Cumbrian Professional side, no luck so far. 

The best of luck!  My own historical knowledge is generally very hazy on the issue of who paid players and who didn't.

I do know that in the first season or two of Northern Union it was forbidden for players to be full-time professional rugby players, but that process soon proved unworkable and broke down by about 1898.  What I don't know is whether certain leagues, playing under NU rules, specifically banned payment for playing. 

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Were they Cumbrian then though, as Wiltshire said was it not Lancashire? 

I think, being on the west side of the Duddon estuary, Millom would have been in Cumberland.

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

Were they Cumbrian then though, as Wiltshire said was it not Lancashire? 

Millom has always been in Cumberland. Even though they are more affiliated with Barrow they have always been Cumbrian.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

16 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Millom has always been in Cumberland. Even though they are more affiliated with Barrow they have always been Cumbrian.

Really, did not know that. It's a fun learning type of day today... 

Slightly odd turn this thread has taken.  Seems like there's almost no topic that people on here can't turn into a discussion of historic county boundaries 🙂

Some of the West Cumbrian amateur clubs have a very long history. Egremont joined the NU in 1900, Wath Brow at around the same time. The Cumberland league has been in existence since the 19th century, although it became the north-western league with the addition of Furness clubs for quite a while.

Easy to forget how lengthy the journeys could be at that time. No cars, of course. Teams from S.W Lancs would sometimes travel to Barrow by train to Fleetwood and then steamer the rest of the way.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Easy to forget how lengthy the journeys could be at that time. No cars, of course. Teams from S.W Lancs would sometimes travel to Barrow by train to Fleetwood and then steamer the rest of the way.

More of a ball ache than getting on a flight to Toronto is now. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

More of a ball ache than getting on a flight to Toronto is now. 

Dare I suggest, Eddie, that that is a very 'modern' way of looking at it?  

For early Northern Union pioneers, escaping the tough, grinding existence of daily life amongst mills, pits and row upon row of terraced housing for just a day with a trip by train and boat to the edge of the Lakes must have seemed wonderful.

Nowadays, many travellers seem to think that a journey is a tedious necessity, whereas, for me, a train journey, for instance, is always a chance to look out and see new places or familiar ones from a different visual perspective.  Then I look at my fellow travellers, all glued to their little screens and silently weep for the future sanity of mankind...!

49 minutes ago, JonM said:

You joke, but of course, Victorian/Edwardian era teams did sometimes travel by horse and cart from the railway station to the ground before and after matches.

Through the baying masses too, I recall.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

50 minutes ago, JonM said:

You joke, but of course, Victorian/Edwardian era teams did sometimes travel by horse and cart from the railway station to the ground before and after matches.

This is west cumbria , that picture was took in 1987

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This is west cumbria , that picture was took in 1987

I was waiting for someone to post that they still do in Whitehaven/ Workington (delete as appropriate) so I'm impressed that you took the high ground there 🙂

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

I was waiting for someone to post that they still do in Whitehaven/ Workington (delete as appropriate) so I'm impressed that you took the high ground there 🙂

When I say West  Cumbria I did of course mean Whitehaven . And that was state of the art technology 

I've not read the full thread, but I assume someone has mentioned a North/South split. I personally agree with this idea because travel costs at that level are substantial. I know the Southern teams like to play the Northern over, so could do cross conference game too?

You guarantee some Southern teams in the playoffs then, making them more attractive to players.

I'd look at (based on clubs in this year's L1 and rumoured/potential future clubs) a structure like this:

League One North:

Barrow, Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley, Newcastle, Rochdale, Workington

League One South:

Coventry, London Skolars, North Wales, West Wales, Ottawa, New York + new/returning club

12 round robin games + 7 cross group games. Should be enough games there for that level. Add in 4 round play offs (top 6 format, so top 3 from each.

Suppose the size of each conference doesn't have to be fixed and they don't need an equal number of games, as long as those in that conference play equal games. You could see NY go up and Whitehaven go down for example (making 8 Northern and 6 Southern teams), and you'd still have around 18-20 games in each conference.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I've not read the full thread, but I assume someone has mentioned a North/South split. I personally agree with this idea because travel costs at that level are substantial. I know the Southern teams like to play the Northern over, so could do cross conference game too?

You guarantee some Southern teams in the playoffs then, making them more attractive to players.

I'd look at (based on clubs in this year's L1 and rumoured/potential future clubs) a structure like this:

League One North:

League One South:

Coventry, London Skolars, North Wales, West Wales, Ottawa, New York + new/returning club

12 round robin games + 7 cross group games. Should be enough games there for that level. Add in 4 round play offs (top 6 format, so top 3 from each.

Suppose the size of each conference doesn't have to be fixed and they don't need an equal number of games, as long as those in that conference play equal games. You could see NY go up and Whitehaven go down for example (making 8 Northern and 6 Southern teams), and you'd still have around 18-20 games in each conference.

This is pretty much how League 1 did operate for a while - play teams in your own area twice and those in the other area once. It made it easier for the southern clubs to make the play-offs, which some people didn't like.  Of course, that was when we had Oxford, Gloucester & Hemel in the southern half - the travel arrangements with the set-up above don't look quite so good for the southern half.

On 09/08/2020 at 17:41, GUBRATS said:

Explain to me why there are Cumbrian amateur RL clubs ? 

Bearing in mind RL was born due to the introduction of payment to play RL , prior to the Cumbrian Pro clubs , there were no Cumbrian amateur clubs 

Others had already corrected you on this, but to add...

Cumberland clubs Millom and Haverigg switched in 1896-97 alongside the Furness clubs with which they were more geographically aligned.

The west Cumberland clubs started to move to the Northern Union from March/April 1898, with Workington, Wath Brow and Maryport being the first. In September 1898 Workington and Maryport joined the NWL alongside Askam, Barrow 'A', Dalton, Lancaster 'A', Millom and Ulverston. 

In 1899 the Cumberland Senior League began, underpinned by a Junior league, and for a few years, an Intermediate competition. At one point in the mid 00s there were approximately forty clubs in the county. By the summer of 1909 it was down to only three! Chronic mismanagement being the main cause.

This is the full list of clubs that played in the Cumberland Senior League prior to WW1, plus their years in the Junior league.

* DNF the season

Clubs came and went. Brookland Rovers were the only club to participate in all fifteen seasons. Some clubs paid 'Broken Time'.

Aspatria were, in effect, three different clubs. Seaton were two. Neither Workington nor Whitehaven have any connection with the current pro clubs.

History Lesson endeth!!!

Senior Junior
Aspatria 1900-02, 1904-06, 1912-14 1902-03
Barrow 'A' 1908-09  
Barrow St George 1908-09  
Brookland Rovers 1899-1900, 1902-14 1900-02
Broughton Moor 1909-14 1900-07
Broughton Red Rose 1912-13 1913-14
Cleator 1902-04 1899-1902, 1906-08
Cleator Moor Athletic 1905-06, 1907-08 1906-07
Crosby United 1909-12*  
Dearham Rangers 1911-13  
Dearham United 1909-14  
Egremont 1902-07*, 1908-11* 1900-02
Flimby 1902-03 1900-02
Fothergill United 1909-13 1900-05
Glasson Rangers 1912-13  
Harrington 1907-08 1902-07
Hensingham 1902-03 1900-02
Highmoor Rovers 1902-04, 1907-09 1900-02, 1904-07
Kells United 1903-04 1902-03
Maryport 1899-1907, 1909-11  
Millom 1906-10*  
Parton 1901-06, 1908-09 1899-1901
Penrith United 1900-02  
Seaton 1899-1905, 1911-14  
Wath Brow 1899-1906* 1906-07
Whitehaven 1899-1900*  
Whitehaven Recreation 1899-1909, 1911-12  
Workington 1899-1909  

6 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Others had already corrected you on this, but to add...

Cumberland clubs Millom and Haverigg switched in 1896-97 alongside the Furness clubs with which they were more geographically aligned.

The west Cumberland clubs started to move to the Northern Union from March/April 1898, with Workington, Wath Brow and Maryport being the first. In September 1898 Workington and Maryport joined the NWL alongside Askam, Barrow 'A', Dalton, Lancaster 'A', Millom and Ulverston. 

In 1899 the Cumberland Senior League began, underpinned by a Junior league, and for a few years, an Intermediate competition. At one point in the mid 00s there were approximately forty clubs in the county. By the summer of 1909 it was down to only three! Chronic mismanagement being the main cause.

This is the full list of clubs that played in the Cumberland Senior League prior to WW1, plus their years in the Junior league.

* DNF the season

Clubs came and went. Brookland Rovers were the only club to participate in all fifteen seasons. Some clubs paid 'Broken Time'.

Aspatria were, in effect, three different clubs. Seaton were two. Neither Workington nor Whitehaven have any connection with the current pro clubs.

History Lesson endeth!!!

Senior Junior
Aspatria 1900-02, 1904-06, 1912-14 1902-03
Barrow 'A' 1908-09  
Barrow St George 1908-09  
Brookland Rovers 1899-1900, 1902-14 1900-02
Broughton Moor 1909-14 1900-07
Broughton Red Rose 1912-13 1913-14
Cleator 1902-04 1899-1902, 1906-08
Cleator Moor Athletic 1905-06, 1907-08 1906-07
Crosby United 1909-12*  
Dearham Rangers 1911-13  
Dearham United 1909-14  
Egremont 1902-07*, 1908-11* 1900-02
Flimby 1902-03 1900-02
Fothergill United 1909-13 1900-05
Glasson Rangers 1912-13  
Harrington 1907-08 1902-07
Hensingham 1902-03 1900-02
Highmoor Rovers 1902-04, 1907-09 1900-02, 1904-07
Kells United 1903-04 1902-03
Maryport 1899-1907, 1909-11  
Millom 1906-10*  
Parton 1901-06, 1908-09 1899-1901
Penrith United 1900-02  
Seaton 1899-1905, 1911-14  
Wath Brow 1899-1906* 1906-07
Whitehaven 1899-1900*  
Whitehaven Recreation 1899-1909, 1911-12  
Workington 1899-1909  

Fascinating, thank you. Just so I'm clear, were these Cumberland League clubs making broken time payments to players in the 1900s? Did they switch to amateur after WW1? Cheers. 

22 hours ago, JonM said:

Slightly odd turn this thread has taken.  Seems like there's almost no topic that people on here can't turn into a discussion of historic county boundaries 🙂

Some of the West Cumbrian amateur clubs have a very long history. Egremont joined the NU in 1900, Wath Brow at around the same time. The Cumberland league has been in existence since the 19th century, although it became the north-western league with the addition of Furness clubs for quite a while.

Barrow's in Lancashire.  Just accept it.

Cumbria's not a place.  It's the name of the organisation who empty bins in the north western part of England.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

League One North:

League One South:

I think that sort of set up could encourage new/returning Southern clubs. Not getting hammered every week or so and a few more local rivalries. 

Not sure how I'd fit in new international sides, I'd be inclined to put them straight in the championship tbh. 

Archived