NRL player's in SL

Watching the games on Sunday and specifically being interested in how the 'six again' would work it was very noticable for me how if we stick with this rule how much faster the game will become in the UK.

I think the emphasis of a player's requirements will be speed coupled with an aerobic capacity to play long minutes, which will most probably result in younger and leaner players being selected.

Being an avid viewer of the NRL, I can envisage that the coaches over there will be putting a significant effort to field players best suited to the new rules, and the big short time impact and ageing players will not be getting much game time or even future contracts, putting more of them on the market. 

Will this be the time that the SL clubs should put more effort into developing more of our own or if I am correct that more NRL player's will come on the market which essentially would be player's surplus to requirement over there with the intoduction of this 'new rule' will they take the easy route and sign them, which in my opinion would be widdening the gap between the SL and NRL. 

Just a thought.

Clubs and players will adapt over time. I think there is still a role for the bigger, less mobile forward (Huddersfield's bigger pack were on top of Leeds and making more meters for large parts on Sunday). Some of that adapting will come from conditioning whilst, I would hope, much of it will come from improved discipline and a cleaning up of the ruck.

At the end of the day, if what you suppose is how it pans out, I'm not sure why SL clubs would sign players, irrespective of where they are from, that doesn't suit the game - unless those "unsuitable" NRL players are still better than what is already on the market, which would be indicitive of a much wider problem with youth coaching and development. 

I am a fan of the six again introduction as I think it has improved the sport as a spectacle but I think the impact on how the game is played and the player requirements is being over stated.

The big men who were effective in the NRL last year (Klemmer, Papalli, Warrea-Hargreaeves, Junior Paulo etc.) are still dominant this year.  I don't expect to see massive change in the physical makeup of a Rugby League team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I am a fan of the six again introduction as I think it has improved the sport as a spectacle but I think the impact on how the game is played and the player requirements is being over stated.

The big men who were effective in the NRL last year (Klemmer, Papalli, Warrea-Hargreaeves, Junior Paulo etc.) are still dominant this year.  I don't expect to see massive change in the physical makeup of a Rugby League team.

I’d agree . It has an impact around the ruck but first receivers , big metre eaters , and those big units with an offload are still doing the same job , and the best ones are still the best ones . Paulo was outstanding 

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If the 6 again rule is brought in for the 2021 it’ll be bad news for Tonga. 

The 6 again law discourages teams from slowing down the ruck, allows teams with dominant packs to gain momentum and roll down the field through big, mobile forwards.

On what planet is this bad news for Tonga... have you seen Taumalolo, Fonua-Blake and Taukeiaho play in the NRL this year, they are thriving. 

Trying to control the Tongan pack with 6 tackles is bad enough, what about when they have 10 or 11? I would say it is bad news for their opponents. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If the 6 again rule is brought in for the 2021 it’ll be bad news for Tonga. 

Dunno . I’m not sure it’s changing the actual nature of the game that much . Evidence is the best teams are still the best teams and influential players still come to the fore

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The 6 again law discourages teams from slowing down the ruck, allows teams with dominant packs to gain momentum and roll down the field through big, mobile forwards.

On what planet is this bad news for Tonga... have you seen Taumalolo, Fonua-Blake and Taukeiaho play in the NRL this year, they are thriving. 

Trying to control the Tongan pack with 6 tackles is bad enough, what about when they have 10 or 11? I would say it is bad news for their opponents. 

In attack yes, but how are those big fellas going to get on defending back to back sets without a breather? 

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

In attack yes, but how are those big fellas going to get on defending back to back sets without a breather? 

Between the three of them they have played 32 games in the NRL this year (most of the games with the 6 again law in place).  They average just under 60 minutes a game and they have missed a grand total of 48 tackles between them in those 32 games.

This idea that teams will beat Tonga by waiting for them to get tired is nonsense.

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is six again here to stay then? I thought it was (currently) a temporary change due to Covid?

I was under the impression it was here to stay and not a Covid measure. I think it’s being seen as a success in the NRL so doubt they’ll be returning to previous ways. 

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Two definite varying schools of thought on this Dunny, as they say the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. 

What work is being done by other team members to allow these guy's the energy to utilise their best assests as the coach would demand, lets wait and see how they go as a collective in the same team.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Two definite varying schools of thought on this Dunny, as they say the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. 

What work is being done by other team members to allow these guy's the energy to utilise their best assests as the coach would demand, lets wait and see how they go as a collective in the same team.

Three middle forwards who can turn in 60 minutes each is a great start as you would expect at least two more, maybe three, on the bench.

And of course there has to be some sharing of the workload and in the modern game that typically comes from yardage from the back three early in the set.  When you look at the Tongan team that defeated Australia last year, their wingers were David Fusitu'a and Daniel Tupou who are both big men who typically provide great contribution from the wings in ball carries.

In that Tongan win, the five players above all contributed massively with huge workloads.

People often talk about the six again as if it will be a disadvantage to teams carrying big men but I see it the other way.  Ruck infringements are often committed by teams who are losing the ruck and are trying to slow the play down... this is teams who are losing the battle to teams with bigger, more effective middle forwards and big ball carrying wingers.  The dominant team will win the set restarts and so instead of having to defend and control these big Tongan middle men for 6 tackles it may turn into 8, 9 or 10 regularly and their effectiveness just increases. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Three middle forwards who can turn in 60 minutes each is a great start as you would expect at least two more, maybe three, on the bench.

And of course there has to be some sharing of the workload and in the modern game that typically comes from yardage from the back three early in the set.  When you look at the Tongan team that defeated Australia last year, their wingers were David Fusitu'a and Daniel Tupou who are both big men who typically provide great contribution from the wings in ball carries.

In that Tongan win, the five players above all contributed massively with huge workloads.

People often talk about the six again as if it will be a disadvantage to teams carrying big men but I see it the other way.  Ruck infringements are often committed by teams who are losing the ruck and are trying to slow the play down... this is teams who are losing the battle to teams with bigger, more effective middle forwards and big ball carrying wingers.  The dominant team will win the set restarts and so instead of having to defend and control these big Tongan middle men for 6 tackles it may turn into 8, 9 or 10 regularly and their effectiveness just increases. 

I was at that game in Auckland and yes Tonga were workmanlike and effctive in their game, but in my opinion the overriding reason that Tonga won that game was that Australia were absolutely so unaustralian that if they wasn't wearing the green and gold uniform they would  have been unrecognisable, they were pants. 

That is nothing to do with Tonga mind they could do no more than playing what was in front of them and they did it well, I would expect and maybe break a habit of a lifeline of not going into a bookies to wager that Australia would beat Tonga in their next 3 meetings.

And this hew ruling will easily benefit Aus far more than Tonga, 

Just saying.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And this hew ruling will easily benefit Aus far more than Tonga, 

Just saying.

I am just using the evidence of the key Tongan players all thriving under this new law.  Anyway, time will tell.

On 05/08/2020 at 09:50, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Quick update on this.  With Jared Waerea-Hargreaves out for the Roosters today, Sio Taukeiaho took on a bit more work.

Played the full 80 minutes, made 29 runs for 306 metres (with 130 post contact metres) and 37 tackles.

Yep.  These guys are not going to get tired just because of the six again.

Archived