Beirut explosion.

Just about the most shocking video I've seen since 9/11.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about 9/11 when I saw the devastation afterwards but when I first saw the explosion itself - the big one - I was reminded of a nuclear blast in the way it separated.  I'm not saying it was a nuclear blast by the way!  Just that it reminded me of what I've seen of them on TV.  Either way, it was absolutely massive.  I just can't imagine the human devastation in the wake of it.  The poor sods.

1 minute ago, LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH said:

Blimey. Looks like a gas tank or similar going up 

Latest theory as reported on the TV news is a storage facility which housed confiscated explosive material experienced a fire which caused the material to blow up but that's not in any way certain yet.  

Just had a bomb disposal expert on the news saying because it’s white smoke it’s most likely explosive material so fireworks or gas canisters. Any military explosives or even most terrorist ones would be black smoke. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Just had a bomb disposal expert on the news saying because it’s white smoke it’s most likely explosive material so fireworks or gas canisters. Any military explosives or even most terrorist ones would be black smoke. 

That does seem to be backed up by observations from others.

The timing is bloody coincidental if that’s the case though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2000 tones of fertiliser/nitrates will do that if you have a fire next to it/on it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Well Trump just said it was likely to be an attack and bombing.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Given it was a secondary explosion, you'd naturally lean towards an accident.  

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Well Trump just said it was likely to be an attack and bombing.

Jonathan Swan face during Trump interview on COVID shows how ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Given it was a secondary explosion, you'd naturally lean towards an accident.  

The scenes of devastation this morning are awful. The only reference point I have, and I know it's not the same, is the aftermath photos of Hiroshima where whole sections have just been laid waste in seconds.

It does seem that accident for at least the major explosion is most likely.

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The scenes of devastation this morning are awful. The only reference point I have, and I know it's not the same, is the aftermath photos of Hiroshima where whole sections have just been laid waste in seconds.

It does seem that accident for at least the major explosion is most likely.

When the Allies dug under a hill at Messines in Belgium occupied by the Germans at the end of WW1 they put a million tons of explosives and detonated it with 19 mines they felt the explosion in Paris. Approximately 10,000 Germans died. The hill disappeared.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/06/biggest-blast-before-atomic-bombs-messines-world-war/

My son said it looked like fireworks going off - I've only seen the still images so far but it looks devastating. Such a beautiful country, sitting in the wrong place. Even if this is only an accident, then that's just another horrible chapter in a terrible recent history.

Edit:

Actually, this is a better example, if it's an accident:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

18 minutes ago, tim2 said:

When the Allies dug under a hill at Messines in Belgium occupied by the Germans at the end of WW1 they put a million tons of explosives and detonated it with 19 mines they felt the explosion in Paris. Approximately 10,000 Germans died. The hill disappeared.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/06/biggest-blast-before-atomic-bombs-messines-world-war/

My son said it looked like fireworks going off - I've only seen the still images so far but it looks devastating. Such a beautiful country, sitting in the wrong place. Even if this is only an accident, then that's just another horrible chapter in a terrible recent history.

Edit:

Actually, this is a better example, if it's an accident:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

The video from out in the harbour looking back as the second explosion hits is one of the most awful pieces of footage I've seen.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

My son said it looked like fireworks going off

Yes I saw that footage and thought that . Either way it was just horrific . You hear of huge explosions and see the aftermath but actually seeing it happen really brings home how devastating and horrendous it is

1 hour ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

The developments in intelligence this idiot continues to demonstrate are truly staggering!

I deliberately excluded myself from the political sub forum owing to this sort of pollution. Don't poison this one, too.!

Archived