Coventry Bears Awarded 15k RLWC grant

8 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I believe Worcester Jaguars have aspirations to join the professional game.

While I'd like to to be positive about this Worcester/Birmingham Jaguars haven't yet played a game. Nothing wrong with being ambitious but it's a big step from not having played a game yet to being a professional club. I wish them well though but hope they don't run before they can walk. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Surely they wouldn’t support RL growth in Coventry like this and then pull the funding for League One, the league Coventry play in. This must mean the future of League One is safe. Excellent.

Two entirely separate funding arrangements.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

You mean Birmingham Jaguars? 

No, Worcester. From what I understand Birmingham have been formed purely as a Euro XIII team but heavily linked with Worcester.

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

While I'd like to to be positive about this Worcester/Birmingham Jaguars haven't yet played a game. Nothing wrong with being ambitious but it's a big step from not having played a game yet to being a professional club. I wish them well though but hope they don't run before they can walk. 

Completely agree, that's why I said "aspirations", think Worcester are focusing on developing junior teams currently.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Surely they wouldn’t support RL growth in Coventry like this and then pull the funding for League One, the league Coventry play in. This must mean the future of League One is safe. Excellent.

I love your optimism Kev, but this is rugby league. 

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do you think Leicester Storm will ever re-birth?

I'd hope so. The Bears have had some right old ding dong games with them over the years. They always had a solid team and gave a tough game. They were going well under Ty Watson but when he left they seemed to fizzle out. Its just whether someone has the time and energy to make it work there as theres a good player pool. 

Hopefully we'll also see a return of Northampton too. They had a really good team and fell through the cracks before the foundation of conference league South. 

There was also Coventry Dragons who had a very strong team and a good set up. Again similar to Northampton, they would have surely joined conference league South. I don't hold out too much hope for them to return though. 

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'd hope so. The Bears have had some right old ding dong games with them over the years. They always had a solid team and gave a tough game. They were going well under Ty Watson but when he left they seemed to fizzle out. Its just whether someone has the time and energy to make it work there as theres a good player pool. 

Hopefully we'll also see a return of Northampton too. They had a really good team and fell through the cracks before the foundation of conference league South. 

There was also Coventry Dragons who had a very strong team and a good set up. Again similar to Northampton, they would have surely joined conference league South. I don't hold out too much hope for them to return though. 

Why not re. Cov Dragons? Where do you envisage these 3 satellite clubs being formed?

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Why not re. Cov Dragons? Where do you envisage these 3 satellite clubs being formed?

As far as I know a few of the lads who ran the club are no longer involved. I think once a club stops its very hard to get up and running again. 

Not 100% sure on the 3 satellite clubs but aparently they will be in deprived areas of the City. 

43 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

As far as I know a few of the lads who ran the club are no longer involved. I think once a club stops its very hard to get up and running again. 

Not 100% sure on the 3 satellite clubs but aparently they will be in deprived areas of the City. 

That doesn't narrow it down much 🙂

50 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

For what it’s worth, we’ve got 4 ex-Dragons at Worcester, including our head coach.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

It’s great that 3 new clubs are to be formed in Coventry, but why are all 3 to be in deprived areas? Is this a condition of the funding?

Archived