Newcastle Thunder attempt to buy and replace Toronto in SL

It’s quite a risk to do from a Newcastle perspective. I’ve no idea what you’d value Toronto at but they’re going to have to pay something for them, they’re going to have to agree with Super League that they can take the vacant space in Super League, they’re potentially going to have to pay whatever monies are owed to various parties that Toronto aren’t going to pay and they’re going to have to try and put together a completely new, full-time side that is anything close to competitive inside six months, all while we (the public) are unaware of any changes to relegation at the end of 2021. 

It may be a price worth paying if Newcastle have an exemption from relegation or relegation is shelved again in 2021 but without that, this could be an expensive price to pay for a place in the Championship in 2022. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s quite a risk to do from a Newcastle perspective. I’ve no idea what you’d value Toronto at

Given that they (allegeldy) own didly squat by way of assets, are rumoured to have large debts, and have no players as SL contracts state that players are free agents once a club is outside SL, you’d be a sucker to touch them with a proverbial barge pole.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your second team, don't knock them Mr Hetherington doesn't.

We couldn’t use them as our reserves if they were in Super League. I don’t think Mr Hetherington or Sinfield will be losing any sleep of this. Fuengirola Rovers have as much chance of been in Super League 2021 as Featherstone Rovers.

37 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

We couldn’t use them as our reserves if they were in Super League. I don’t think Mr Hetherington or Sinfield will be losing any sleep of this. Fuengirola Rovers have as much chance of been in Super League 2021 as Featherstone Rovers.

Try to be smart, when 'being' smart. 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Thanks for your unswerving support.

From all at Featherstone Rovers.

8 hours ago, cookey said:

Virtually all sporting clubs are having serious financial difficulties. Clubs are going to need very deep pockets to get out of this.

I hope Toronto can survive but if not,I'd have much more faith in Newcastle or perhaps London,than Featherstone,Leigh,Widnes etc.

Why not Newcastle another club we can throw money at for 40 years like London, maybe they will get upto 1500 watching them eventually. 

4 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Why not Newcastle another club we can throw money at for 40 years like London, maybe they will get upto 1500 watching them eventually. 

Congratulations,you've proved you have the most appropriate name on this site.

SL has not put money into London David Hughes has. There has been more development in London and the ne than in the heartlands,this development has produced grants for rl from Sport England.

Well done peanut head.

23 minutes ago, cookey said:

SL has not put money into London David Hughes has. There has been more development in London and the ne than in the heartlands,this development has produced grants for rl from Sport England.

Well done peanut head.

Go on Cookey! 

27 minutes ago, cookey said:

Well done peanut head.

hughes has plowed money into London over the years  but I'm sure they have had their share of central funding

1 hour ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Why not give it to say a heartland club that has received money for well over 40 years and hasn’t got an Academy?

26 minutes ago, POR said:

hughes has plowed money into London over the years  but I'm sure they have had their share of central funding

You mean they have received the money they deserve by earning promotion via Davids generosity. Clueless.

1 minute ago, cookey said:

You mean they have received the money they deserve by earning promotion via Davids generosity. Clueless.

your missing the point of course the'are entitled to central funding but in your previous post 

SL has not put money into London you implied that only hughes had  paid the rent

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Well done peanut head.

So your telling me the rfl have never put money into London.

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The unfortunate thing for Newcastle is if next season is the last before a closed shop does eventuate foŕ '22, Newcastle won't be in the Championship to compete for promotion.

Only if you believe that accession to SL will only be earned on the field of play. I don't, for what it's worth.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Remind me, how much money have "we" thrown at London over these 40 years?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

So your telling me the rfl have never put money into London.

No, you are saying they have. Again, how much and when?

3 hours ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Yeah, why not  a team in the North East? Then the RFL can throw money at a "heartland" team a year later as part of a "merger". You know, like happened last time.

25 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Yeah, why not  a team in the North East? Then the RFL can throw money at a "heartland" team a year later as part of a "merger". You know, like happened last time.

Oh yes that went well, was huddersfield & Sheffield  hull & gateshead give em a shed full of money only for them to reform later.

32 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Why not a merger between Newcastle and Toronto?

‘New Toronto ThunderPack’, with home games split between two cities, like St George Illawarra.

The utter contempt shown by some people towards clubs trying to do the right thing but just happen to be in the 'wrong' part of the world is really distasteful and typical of rugby league. We are staring at the rubble of yet another disaster of an experiment and the answer seems to be to spit on those who have built and want to progress.

There are probably 4 teams currently able/willing/deserving to step up to take Toronto's place whether people like that or not. They are Toulouse, London, Featherstone and Leigh. All have various pros and cons and sure, if all you care about is having a team not from Yorkshire or Lancashire then the first two would be attractive but to constantly talk down to the other two, who have both done a lot of great work on and off the field, doesn't help anyone. 

People can trot out fantasies about Newcastle all they like, the fact is they are on the right path but have some building to do. We have had a failed experiment in that region already, I was there at the time and it was too much, too soon without the requisite planning which led to yet another of the sport's great farces, the Hull merger. They should continue on this path and build to being a top Championship team then when they are ready I'm sure they would be a great addition. Buying this Toronto 'License' sounds like a ridiculous idea which will gain them nothing.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The utter contempt shown by some people towards clubs trying to do the right thing but just happen to be in the 'wrong' part of the world is really distasteful and typical of rugby league. We are staring at the rubble of yet another disaster of an experiment and the answer seems to be to spit on those who have built and want to progress.

There are probably 4 teams currently able/willing/deserving to step up to take Toronto's place whether people like that or not. They are Toulouse, London, Featherstone and Leigh. All have various pros and cons and sure, if all you care about is having a team not from Yorkshire or Lancashire then the first two would be attractive but to constantly talk down to the other two, who have both done a lot of great work on and off the field, doesn't help anyone. 

People can trot out fantasies about Newcastle all they like, the fact is they are on the right path but have some building to do. We have had a failed experiment in that region already, I was there at the time and it was too much, too soon without the requisite planning which led to yet another of the sport's great farces, the Hull merger. They should continue on this path and build to being a top Championship team then when they are ready I'm sure they would be a great addition. Buying this Toronto 'License' sounds like a ridiculous idea which will gain them nothing.

Excellent post.

Archived