‘Record’ Sky TV figures for Super League

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Totally agree, he is light years ahead of the Sky crew

The thing with Vossy is that his enthusiasm for the game comes through so brilliantly in the commentary. 

Vossy could read the Apple Terms and Conditions and convince me that they are the most exciting thing ever, and that's what makes him a good advocate for RL - the layman can watch a game called by him and completely believe the excitement and tension. 

Barrie and Terry, by comparison, are more like that bloke in the corner of the pub occasionally going "good hit!". 

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The thing with Vossy is that his enthusiasm for the game comes through so brilliantly in the commentary. 

Vossy could read the Apple Terms and Conditions and convince me that they are the most exciting thing ever, and that's what makes him a good advocate for RL - the layman can watch a game called by him and completely believe the excitement and tension. 

Barrie and Terry, by comparison, are more like that bloke in the corner of the pub occasionally going "good hit!". 

I think Vossy is OK, but I do recall Eddie Hemmings receiving a fair bit of stick for being too positive during some rubbish games.

I think there are different expectations in the two countries of commentators. Personally I dislike the Aussie style with a passion, all the use of nicknames and a lot of the ex-player contribution is not much better than Baz n Tez, they are just generally a bit better at speaking on camera.

The insistence on RL pundits to be 'funny' is tiresome, and I hated Vossy's ramblings about which chippies he had visitied during crucial WC games.

I do think the BBC have the best setup of the whole lot. 

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Personally I dislike the Aussie style with a passion, all the use of nicknames and a lot of the ex-player contribution is not much better than Baz n Tez, they are just generally a bit better at speaking on camera.

The insistence on RL pundits to be 'funny' is tiresome, and I hated Vossy's ramblings about which chippies he had visitied during crucial WC games.

I think the exact opposite of all this ! Vossy is the best . I love his style , his enthusiasm , his love and knowledge of the game at all levels . It’s great how he ups the English game and can talk about the championship , league one and amateur game even . No one else there gives us a sniff . He’s the best advocate of the game on telly . I’d throw owt to get him if I were sky , but generally he just makes the game even better with his comms . They’re light years ahead in commentary professionalism and delivery . Bill Baz Tez ‘ he’s a good player ... tuck it under his wing ‘ do the exact opposite . We may not have their profile or resources but they can find a few guys who can be better than that 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think Vossy is OK, but I do recall Eddie Hemmings receiving a fair bit of stick for being too positive during some rubbish games.

I think there are different expectations in the two countries of commentators. Personally I dislike the Aussie style with a passion, all the use of nicknames and a lot of the ex-player contribution is not much better than Baz n Tez, they are just generally a bit better at speaking on camera.

I do think the BBC have the best setup of the whole lot. 

I certainly hear that argument, and I think a lot of it boils down to what you / the sport wants as a commentator. 

Vossy is undeniably a great "salesman" for the sport. If you're channel flicking in a world of 400+ channels, his voice would probably make you stop pressing the remote. If you saw a clip on YouTube, his voice would convince you that what happened is out of the ordinary - that sort of thing. 

If you're more of a "purist", for want of a better word, his approach probably does seem OTT when what you want is a more considered analysis or calling of the play. That's where the likes of John Wells are actually really good. I was also impressed by the likes of Ashton Simms when he was a pundit on the BBC.  

What happened to Jon Champion on BBC? He always sounded professional and didn’t seem the usual automatic BBC choice of “we need a flat-cap thick-accented Northerner because that’s cheap and what they’ll like up those there parts” etc... if I remember correctly he didn’t get many pundits/experts alongside him though.

I like Dave Woods on the BBC and the choice of pundits does seem a bit more balanced than the usual comedy partnerships that Sky has tried. I like Wells and Carney though as they’re quite technical and make things a bit more professional. No offence to Barry and Terry but I feel like I’m watching a cheesy-peas advert and that I’m being told how to be a Northerner and know my place.

10 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

What happened to Jon Champion on BBC? He always sounded professional and didn’t seem the usual automatic BBC choice of “we need a flat-cap thick-accented Northerner because that’s cheap and what they’ll like up those there parts” etc... if I remember correctly he didn’t get many pundits/experts alongside him though.

I like Dave Woods on the BBC and the choice of pundits does seem a bit more balanced than the usual comedy partnerships that Sky has tried. I like Wells and Carney though as they’re quite technical and make things a bit more professional. No offence to Barry and Terry but I feel like I’m watching a cheesy-peas advert and that I’m being told how to be a Northerner and know my place.

It really surprises me when people are critical of Dave Woods. I think he is an excellent commentator, positive and professional and knowledgeable. 

Mark Chapman, and before him Claire Balding have been excellent anchors for the show. 

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It really surprises me when people are critical of Dave Woods. I think he is an excellent commentator, positive and professional and knowledgeable.

Woods is an excellent jack of all trades but I wouldn't call him 'excellent' at any of his various TV, radio, BBC online journalist etc roles IYSWIM.  

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Woods is an excellent jack of all trades but I wouldn't call him 'excellent' at any of his various TV, radio, BBC online journalist etc roles IYSWIM.  

Yeah, I can see that, and he certainly doesn't hit the highs of some of Hemmings' classic commentary for example, but as an intelligent speaker who calls the game well, that works perfectly for me. 

I never find myself shouting at the telly because of his commentary, and I think that is right for a lead commentator. He calls the game very well imho.

Archived