Sun 9 Aug: SL: Salford Red Devils v Hull FC KO 1pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/20 at 12:30

3 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

If you went through the squad 1 to 25, what sort of value would you say you've got from individuals? Certainly individuals that have been here a number of seasons now?

On the whole though we know they are good players because they have produced for us in the past. I'd be quite happy if that was Shaul's last game though, Houghton is about finished too, and Ellis shouldn't have come back from retirement. For the rest of them it's mostly about attitude. They can all produce when they want to. This is where a top coach gets them all pulling in the same direction and playing for the shirt.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

If you went through the squad 1 to 25, what sort of value would you say you've got from individuals? Certainly individuals that have been here a number of seasons now?

Well in contrast to Salford under Ian Watson, very few players have come to Hull and become better ones.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

On the whole though we know they are good players because they have produced for us in the past. I'd be quite happy if that was Shaul's last game though, Houghton is about finished too, and Ellis shouldn't have come back from retirement. For the rest of them it's mostly about attitude. They can all produce when they want to. This is where a top coach gets them all pulling in the same direction and playing for the shirt.

I'd agree with that, I'd be quite happy to see Connor Wynne being played far more, he's really impressed when I've seen him, maybe still a bit young and a bit inexperienced to be a permanent starter but give him a few more games this year and I'd like to see him take the number 1 shirt off Shaul next year. 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

After a shocking attempt to catch by evalds. All the time in the world and no opposition players anywhere near him.

He's just getting ready for replacing Greg Eden at Cas.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

19 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The first last out is the last last out when you think about it cos to be the last out you have to be the first to do it but there can only be one last so you are both the first and last last out. 

I was just about to say that 

It appears as though the undignified sacking of Lee Radford hasn't made a great deal of difference,for Hull FC.

Wonder if Newcastle Thunder made a bid,in their quest for Super League,should the modern day journalists be believed,Mr Pearson would sell up?

May make a nice 21st anniversary present for those who follow Thunder...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

@SheffieldEagles: We've changed our mind, we'll enter the Challenge Cup if that's OK...?

We joke! Great performance from Salford - sure the Black and Whites will bounce back...

oof.... 

Very angry still.

Adam Pearson must move away from local coaches and get somebody in who has an idea and fast.

It's very clear that the players have no structural attacking ideas and little apparent respect for Andy Last.

Watching the game today, whenever Salford got near Hull's line, only an error from them stopped them scoring.

Whenever Hull got near Salford's line, they never looked like scoring and, apart from a bit of Kelly magic, only a couple of VR decisions allowed us to score.

###### knows what sort of a mess we'll be in when Kelly leaves for the NRL at the end of the season.

And I'm still f***ing angry.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Last  year Josh Jones got a international call up, this year he is unhappy and heard he wants away from the team.

I think some  players suit certain clubs. Salford is a small club in every sense at present. This helps players be part of the family, The best example is probably Hastings, 

Watson and Rowley are a good combination, the play today from Salford was fantastic and Tui has been outstanding.

I am happy today

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I am happy today

Hmmmph!

Begrudging congratulations.

28 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Very angry still.

Adam Pearson must move away from local coaches and get somebody in who has an idea and fast.

It's very clear that the players have no structural attacking ideas and little apparent respect for Andy Last.

Watching the game today, whenever Salford got near Hull's line, only an error from them stopped them scoring.

Whenever Hull got near Salford's line, they never looked like scoring and, apart from a bit of Kelly magic, only a couple of VR decisions allowed us to score.

###### knows what sort of a mess we'll be in when Kelly leaves for the NRL at the end of the season.

Playing against Salford actually highlighted the problem. Their attack being so well structure and organised which then allows them to get the very best out of the players they have. No disrespect but Hull seem to be the complete opposite 

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The power game is dead.

Exactly, I stated this when watching the first NRL game since the lockdown under the '6 again' rule, the 10 minute impact men will start to drift away from the game, tgey will no longer be required or even wanted by the coaches.

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Watson and Rowley are a good combination

Rowley hardly ever gets a mention it is all Watson in the publications and in the media, but what a transformation there was in the offensive play of Salford when he arrived there last season, I would never ever employ Rowley as a Head coach but doing his job in respect of offence coach he has few peers.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Rowley hardly ever gets a mention it is all Watson in the publications and in the media, but what a transformation there was in the offensive play of Salford when he arrived there last season, I would never ever employ Rowley as a Head coach but doing his job in respect of offence coach he has few peers.

Their strength and conditioning coach has been lauded in the past and rightly so. They looked very fit and strong today

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Their strength and conditioning coach has been lauded in the past and rightly so. They looked very fit and strong today

The players also deserve credit, Pauli Pauli came back looking fit, not something I thought would happen considering the shape he was in when we signed him.

17 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Very angry still.

Dismal as it was, I'm finding it difficult to get that wound up about it. Toronto's withdrawal has made a nonsense of the season, the game has returned as some lightweight caricature of itself and I just think anything anybody wins this season will be damaged goods (although that's clearly not going to be a worry for us as things stand).

I know not everybody will see it this way but I think there's plenty of time to sort things out before the real thing returns.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It's a different type of game than before but like it or not it's the only type of game you are going to see under the present circumstances.

Hull look exactly the same as previous, too many players who are unwilling to put the extra effort in but want to coast through games. Unfortunately without relegation there looks to be a few teams who when the going gets tough are of that mindset, with a guaranteed payment win or lose it's hard to alter the attitude of some Hull have proved a example of that over the past few years, for all the talk how often have Connor or Kelly taken a game by the scruff of the neck or really put a shift in rather than the odd cameo, them getting the plaudits registers with the others and then you develop a attitude problem like a cancer through the club.

16 hours ago, Ullman said:

Dismal as it was, I'm finding it difficult to get that wound up about it. Toronto's withdrawal has made a nonsense of the season, the game has returned as some lightweight caricature of itself and I just think anything anybody wins this season will be damaged goods (although that's clearly not going to be a worry for us as things stand).

I know not everybody will see it this way but I think there's plenty of time to sort things out before the real thing returns.

Not often I disagree with you mate but I have to in this case.

You're correct in as much that the effect of Covid and Toronto's withdrawal has thrown this season in to a farcical set up, but all the remaining teams now have to fight for the same spoils, albeit under unusual circumstances. But it's the same for all of them, teams simply have to play for what is up for grabs and players have to put in a shift or else what are the fans going to think?

And the key word that we, as Hull FC fans are concerned is "fight". Our squad look like they haven't a clue and as soon as things start to go away from them, they can't be ar sed and along comes yet another humiliating one sided scoreline.

So how do we "sort things out"?

It might be considered harsh but Andy Last has to go. He's part of the old guard and all that was wrong at the club. We need a big name coach, someone new that the players look up to rather than a mate, and someone who will come along with the attitude of "I haven't seen any of these players before, let's see what they can do.

And wield the axe if he doesn't like what he sees. Shift under performing players from the club, after all, they're all supposed to be stars aren't they?, so we should have other teams fighting over them and paying a decent transfer fee.

As I've said countless time before, if we get beaten week in, week out, I'll be disappointed  but not full of doom and gloom as long as I feel the team has tried their best and not let their heads go down when the going gets tough. We are both old enough to remember when, as a second division club, Hull FC reached the 1976 John Player Cup Final and gave a good account of themselves throughout that cup run by constantly punching above their weight. Most of the current shower don't seem to have a single punch in them.

At other times in the distant past, when my club conceded 50 or more, which was rare, it hurt but I knew that it was mainly a team of local lads brought together at a low cost that simply couldn't always compete with the likes of other big spending teams full of stars and I knew that we might give a good account of ourselves the following week and maybe nick a win against a team on a similar budget.

Currently, I don't see where the next win is coming from yet we are a big spending team that is supposed to be full of stars. Look at what neutral fans have said in this thread prior to the game. Along the lines of "If you compare the squads, Salford are going to struggle".

Well, I didn't see much of a struggle for them a couple of days back.

Archived