Sun 9 Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 6.30pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/20 at 18:00

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well that was dreadful, we really missed the players out injured. 

Well Konrad is useually worth 3 tries to the opposition whether that is his defence or his mistakes.

But don't moan about missing players, as I have said on more than one occasion when my club got relegated we had such an injury crisis that we used 37 players that season,  but that just got overlooked in the analysis.

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Saints too good. Leeds below par.

But what you're doing in August doesn't count for much come play off time.

I would say it counts for a fair bit if the margin of defeat is that wide.

And trust me, I should know.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

2 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Nah, I've seen Leeds teams lose by worse than that and still win the title.

(to be clear, I'm not by any  stretch thinking this middle of the road Leeds team is going to win Super League; the target remains, as it has been since the start of the season, to qualify for the play offs and they remain broadly on track for that).

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Saints too good. Leeds below par.

But what you're doing in August doesn't count for much come play off time.

Leeds have a lot of work to do, they're far to predictable in attack, Luke Gale is not looking half the player he was at Cas, not that he is doing anything different his support player's at Leeds are not running the lines to compliment his play.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well Konrad is useually worth 3 tries to the opposition whether that is his defence or his mistakes.

But don't moan about missing players, as I have said on more than one occasion when my club got relegated we had such an injury crisis that we used 37 players that season,  but that just got overlooked in the analysis.

Well thats false but oh well.

Its not all about Leigh Harry

9 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

We got smashed by Cas in 2017.

We arent going to go on and win the SL like that year, we simply aren’t good enough but I think people tend to think too much ‘in the moment’ 

Lets look at Leeds this season, we’ve lost 2 games out of 7, lots of Leeds fans predicted we’d be 7 losses out of 7 by now.

We were missing a few, saints were in great form, we had a bad day at the office, it happens.

Well.  That was quite amazing.  

The tries by Regan Grace stood out for me.  Each was a thing of beauty.  I can't get my head around the rest of the match because it was all so unexpected.  I'm very happy that we won though!

Mind you, I still miss the scrums.  This version is a bit too much like touch and pass for me and all teams are going to be utterly knackered soon but if Saints keep playing like they're playing at the moment, I am not going to be unhappy!

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

The tries by Regan Grace stood out for me.  Each was a thing of beauty.  I can't get my head around the rest of the match because it was all so unexpected.  I'm very happy that we won though!

Mind you, I still miss the scrums.  This version is a bit too much like touch and pass for me and all teams are going to be utterly knackered soon but if Saints keep playing like they're playing at the moment, I am not going to be unhappy!

The rule changes are tailored made for a team like saints, unfortunately it seems the total opposite for Leeds.

There will be a lot of blow out scores this year and I’m not sure that's a great thing, I hope it will settle down a bit and maybe its the lack if fans but the games have a bit of a touch and pas feel to them at the moment 

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The rule changes are tailored made for a team like saints, unfortunately it seems the total opposite for Leeds.

There will be a lot of blow out scores this year and I’m not sure that's a great thing, I hope it will settle down a bit and maybe its the lack if fans but the games have a bit of a touch and pas feel to them at the moment 

Bit unfair on Saints that I think they would’ve won comfortably what ever rules we were playing to. They won the battle up the middle first and they were just much better on the day. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

Bit unfair on Saints that I think they would’ve won comfortably what ever rules we were playing to. They won the battle up the middle first and they were just much better on the day. 

That’s the thing, a number of the stats were fairly similar. The big differences were metres made and missed tackles.

Losing Mellor, on top of missing four or five players hurt Leeds, much like us missing a similarly number pre-lockdown vs Warrington hurt us. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sorry I don’t think I articulated what I meant very well, I’m not doing down how saints played, but with the nature of the new rules its easy for a team ti run away with it when they get in top, look at the scores so far since lockdown, the new rules will suit some teams more than others

yep Saints far superior but the score line was helped by Leeds poor first 15-20mins when they gifted possession with penalties and errors - all the head shots from Leeds I was surprised at least one wasn't binned after the 4th.

As per normal RL that meant Leeds lost massive energy levels and with the new rules its even harder. Irrespective Saints so much stronger all round it would not have prevented Saints winning but they may have competed more.

Great watching Grace breakout tries, but Leeds followup and subsequent focus to their own poor kicking was poor - not in a line, big gaps and terrible tackling. Although Grace is hard to tackle when in full flow. 

Saints so much the better in every area.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

St Helens played brilliant. Grace is a fantastic talent He reminds me of Martin Offiah when I used to watch Widnes in the way he is so clinical once he has a gap. 

They weren't playing a good team, even though they are somehow fourth, but that was still a very impressive performance, almost perfect.

59 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sorry I don’t think I articulated what I meant very well, I’m not doing down how saints played, but with the nature of the new rules its easy for a team ti run away with it when they get in top, look at the scores so far since lockdown, the new rules will suit some teams more than others

Yeah fair enough I think most of the Saints team and coaching staff said the score didn’t reflect the game. 

I did feel confident when I saw the Leeds line up. When you take out a centre, put in a winger in his first game back for a month and shift your other winger to full back, then you're going to be up against it.

Despite the injuries in the backs, the forwards laid the platform. Walmsley was immense and I doubt Prior will look forward to facing him again later in the season. Then later on it was the backs who took advantage, Grace especially spectacular.

We were rusty going into lockdown and have really benefitted from the break. Delighted with the first two performances back. It's getting hard to pick a 17 too. Peyroux has done little wrong, but may struggle to get his place back. Equally, if you drop Amor for Peyroux, that is also harsh as Amor has done well too.

Archived