Attendance

A genuine question for everyone on this forum:

If it was announced that unlimited and unrestricted attendance at sports grounds would be permitted from next week onwards would you be happy to go along as before, or would you still be concerned about mixing with unregulated crowds?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

If it was announced that unlimited and unrestricted attendance at sports grounds would be permitted from next week onwards would you be happy to go along as before, or would you still be concerned about mixing with unregulated crowds?

I wouldn't go to a sports event without social distancing measures in place.

I'd go for a well-controlled distanced event.

If i could get out a way at back a sticks no probs at all,struggle to do shops so a crowded game is a no no,unless things were controled right and safe.i really am missing a live game or two.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Before the FA stepped in further restrict spectators at even grassroots friendlies I went to a match last week. There was track and trace details, restrictions and a one way system in the clubhouse, hand sanitiser everywhere, social distancing signs and the venue was a pretty open field so space to move away from people.

I'd attend something like that again. I'll not be going into a 'stadium' for a while.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm there.

I go to pubs, restaurants, shopping centres, cinemas, barbers and other indoor places wearing a mask.

Standing on an RL terrace or sitting in a seat would be A-OK as far as I'm concerned.

All of those places are very different though to an unrestricted stadium, and they all have their own restrictions too. 

I must admit the idea of standing on a terrace packed in with 4 or 5k others does not appeal and doesn't seem sensible.

43 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A very definate NO to going along as before or as otherwise.  Too many pinch points, too many with resolve weakened by beer,  etc..

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I wouldn't go to a sports event without social distancing measures in place.

I'd go for a well-controlled distanced event.

I agree.

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , providing face coverings were mandatory , and no food or drink sales , I'd also expect restrictions on each section of terrace and stand 

Well no, the point is would you go with no restrictions? :kolobok_biggrin:

Obviously I’m in Canada, where the chances of being allowed to attend a sporting event are zero for the foreseeable future, but if by some chance attendance at sporting events were allowed I would go providing the following were in place.

1. Proper social distancing measures in the stands

2. No food or drink on the concourses

3. Hand sanitizers available at regular intervals throughout the stadium

4. Mask wearing enforced on all entry and exit points.

5. Restricted capacity stadium, no more than 25% (though this may make obtaining a ticket for virtually any sporting event in BC impossible).

I consider myself a true RL fan.

Therefore, I would attend but moan about the fact I didn’t get a COVID discount.

Of course, there are benefits to getting COVID as a Warrington fan. If you catch it at the play-off semi-final you have to self-isolate and not see the inevitable loss in the Grand Final. Every cloud ‘n’ all....

In all seriousness though, I’m not really concerned about my own welfare, but I do want to do what is reasonable to limit the impact on the few who are the most vulnerable.

That said, if society doesn’t start to get back to some form of trade-off of infection rate versus economic depression (and very soon) COVID will be the least of our problems. No money for healthcare, policing, unemployment benefits or infrastructure but the likely prospect of gangs of desperate poverty-stricken machete-wielding members of society breaking down your door to steal a loaf of bread to feed their kids. Sounds dramatic but you only need to look at the pattern of history to see what can happen.

There is no easy solution to this one I’m afraid.

I'm not an expert but I have seen reports around choirs being badly affected and that one of the reasons for meat packing factories being affected is due to noise they have to shout. Not sure people would be able to not shout, sing etc at a game....Having said that, you are out in the fresh air. I don't know, but I'd rather not find out. Giving gym a swerve for a few weeks to see how that pans out. It's depressing to watch the crowds back in Australia and NZ knowing there's no prospect of that any time soon here.

4 minutes ago, wasginger said:

You only live once, and if I do get it, I'll just add it to my other ailments. Time to stop being pappy and get on with life.

..... And if you DO get it, you may not survive it .... Might not be a problem to you, but I sure as sh#t would be pretty miffed if you passed it on to me before you went ...... Richard Heads like you are exactly WHY we can't move forward any quicker ...... PAPPY my buttocks !!!

Archived