Has sky reduced NRL coverage?

No doubt it’s due to SL , but I don’t understand the correlation . Sky have lots of channels which are hardly crammed with live content at NRL hours , and from what I pick up anecdotally the games have gone down really well . How can you have too much RL anyway , is there a quota ? It would be good to have full coverage if both running in parallel , but then people like me would say that 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No doubt it’s due to SL , but I don’t understand the correlation . Sky have lots of channels which are hardly crammed with live content at NRL hours , and from what I pick up anecdotally the games have gone down really well . How can you have too much RL anyway , is there a quota ? It would be good to have full coverage if both running in parallel , but then people like me would say that 

Sky and BT's lack of interest in showing live sport across their channels - when there are huge numbers of games in sports they do show that go unbroadcast - is something I've never quite understood. I don't know anyone who switches on a sports channel for highlights, reruns or yet another documentary about Headingley 1981. I know plenty who'd watch anything live that was on.

So it's disappointing to see the NRL being cut back. Especially as the woeful aussie RU comp seems to be getting main event coverage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So it's disappointing to see the NRL being cut back. Especially as the woeful aussie RU comp seems to be getting main event coverage.

That caught me very much by surprise yesterday morning. And not in a good way. Switched on channel 408 to watch the Roosters/Dragons game and...well.

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sky and BT's lack of interest in showing live sport across their channels - when there are huge numbers of games in sports they do show that go unbroadcast - is something I've never quite understood. I don't know anyone who switches on a sports channel for highlights, reruns or yet another documentary about Headingley 1981. I know plenty who'd watch anything live that was on.

Indeed , especially at this time with what’s going on  . Lots of repeats lots of highlights on at times NRL games are playing ?

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

All the games can be watched via the Watch NRL app. Fox Sports Australia run that app and presumably contracts with overseas broadcasters are signed on the basis that they only show a limited number of games so as to encourage people subscribe to Watch NRL. Obviously the lockdown and lack of SL has led to Sky showing all the NRL games, but it was only ever going to be for a limited period. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It wouldn't be anything to do with cost by any chance?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It wouldn't be anything to do with cost by any chance?

Almost certainly. But I'm talking about things like why would a TV station called Sky Sports Football not want to show any of the now multiple live football tournaments going on around the world that have broadcast quality coverage being produced in house but instead show yet another repeat of "Goals from random year in the past".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Almost certainly. But I'm talking about things like why would a TV station called Sky Sports Football not want to show any of the now multiple live football tournaments going on around the world that have broadcast quality coverage being produced in house but instead show yet another repeat of "Goals from random year in the past".

The same reason that most other broadcasters show repeats I guess, but I don't have an in depth insight into their decision making.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived