Sign in to follow this  
SL17

Scenarios?

SL have committed to the sport that’s a fact. The lower tiers have done the reverse given their financial positions.

There does seem a collective in the sport that looks after themselves,

So should the lower tiers actually have a pop of going alone?  The greed comes from the product SL. Which doesn’t support lower tiers.

Should SL be supporting the lower tiers?

They can’t do that! The facts are quite clear.

The scenarios are no longer relevant. The game cannot progress in its current structure 

The pathway is redundant for youth. 

The SL conception worked but is now clutching at straws.

There are many scenarios that could take the game forward.

Whats your scenario?

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

SL have committed to the sport that’s a fact. The lower tiers have done the reverse given their financial positions.

So should the lower tiers actually have a pop of going alone?  The greed comes from the product SL. Which doesn’t support lower tiers.

The scenarios are no longer relevant. The game cannot progress in its current structure 

Whats your scenario?

Oi , did this last week in my thread ' IF ' 😉

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Whats your scenario?

No, no and no again, wave the white flag as much as you want but I enjoy the challenge of trying to get into SL, and I also enjoyed trying to stay there, Leigh were good, Leigh were very good in a Championship going nowhere, do I want that season after season, no I most certainly do not, I see no point whatsoever of being the best of a sub-standard competition, fans would walk and I'm sure they would walk at other clubs and I am sure owners would walk also if you took that ambition away.

I think it's time to change your name to Gaveup20

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 1

Who and how would the new not so super duper , super duper league finance itself and what would be the incentives for players, fans, coaches and sponsors?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, meast said:

Who and how would the new not so super duper , super duper league finance itself and what would be the incentives for players, fans, coaches and sponsors?

Ex bloody zactly

3 hours ago, meast said:

One scenario could be online subscriptions to a central pot. Enough to generate interest in the broadcasting world. Simply playing the same old fiddle isn’t an answer.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Oi , did this last week in my thread ' IF ' 😉

You asked “if”! I’m asking what scenarios could be used. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You asked “if”! I’m asking what scenarios could be used. 

He did, and often.

Edited by distantdog
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

Whats your scenario?

The fundamental flaw in this is the assertion that SL doesn't support the lower tiers. It does, to the tune of about 5 million pounds a year distributed from a TV deal which is overwhelmingly for SL coverage. And this will continue, regardless of the size of the next TV contract. 

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

One scenario could be online subscriptions to a central pot. Enough to generate interest in the broadcasting world. Simply playing the same old fiddle isn’t an answer.

It boils down to this: do you think your "online subscriptions" will generate more than about £5 mln a year? I am doubtful. 

It's always easy to identify a bogeyman to blame for all our ills in life. In this case we blame SL for the ills of the wider sport. But the real cause usually lies closer to home. 

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The fundamental flaw in this is the assertion that SL doesn't support the lower tiers. It does, to the tune of about 5 million pounds a year distributed from a TV deal which is overwhelmingly for SL coverage. And this will continue, regardless of the size of the next TV contract. 

It boils down to this: do you think your "online subscriptions" will generate more than about £5 mln a year? I am doubtful. 

It's always easy to identify a bogeyman to blame for all our ills in life. In this case we blame SL for the ills of the wider sport. But the real cause usually lies closer to home. 

If you take notice of the situation the world  is in today, the one thing that has kept the economy going to certain extent is online services.

Some people have had to learn how to use them. The world is your oyster with online services which could generate more than a poxy £5m.

22 minutes ago, SL17 said:

If you take notice of the situation the world  is in today, the one thing that has kept the economy going to certain extent is online services.

Some people have had to learn how to use them. The world is your oyster with online services which could generate more than a poxy £5m.

What `online services' exactly are you referring to?

Do you mean online streaming of all Super League games, every week?  Some Super League games every week?  Some or all Championship games every week, perhaps? Any of the above but not all every week?

And could you be more specific about how any `online services' you are suggesting might generate `more than a poxy £5m'.  I'm sure we would all like to see the game generate every possible penny available, let alone an extra £5m.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I see no point whatsoever of being the best of a sub-standard competition, 

For me, this is one of the biggest problems Rugby League has. The tendency to relentlessly talk itself down.

The Championship is a fantastic competition in its own right. Can't we talk it up, up, up, just for a change!!?

Compared to the 'old' second division, in the days before Super League existed, it is of a completely different class.

League 1, as well. My club was in it for a season qite recently, I watched every game, home and away, and it was one of the most enjoyable periods of watching Rugby League I have ever had, at any level. Sure, it wasn't Super League, but there are only ever going to be 12 or so clubs in that, and we've tried every imaginable combination for the clubs outside it already.

Haven't we all learned yet, there is no Holy Grail, the perfect structure that suits every club and every fan and makes financial problems disappear as if by magic does not exist.

We need to make the best of what we've got, and to be positive about it, and never again refer to these competitons as 'sub-standard' when they are not.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

League 1, as well. My club was in it for a season qite recently, I watched every game, home and away, and it was one of the most enjoyable periods of watching Rugby League I have ever had, at any level.

That season was great . 14 teams 26 games , excellent competition and plenty of very good games . So of course we instantly changed it and emasculated league one 

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

For me, this is one of the biggest problems Rugby League has. The tendency to relentlessly talk itself down.

The Championship is a fantastic competition in its own right. Can't we talk it up, up, up, just for a change!!?

Compared to the 'old' second division, in the days before Super League existed, it is of a completely different class.

League 1, as well. My club was in it for a season qite recently, I watched every game, home and away, and it was one of the most enjoyable periods of watching Rugby League I have ever had, at any level. Sure, it wasn't Super League, but there are only ever going to be 12 or so clubs in that, and we've tried every imaginable combination for the clubs outside it already.

Haven't we all learned yet, there is no Holy Grail, the perfect structure that suits every club and every fan and makes financial problems disappear as if by magic does not exist.

We need to make the best of what we've got, and to be positive about it, and never again refer to these competitons as 'sub-standard' when they are not.

In comparison to SL it is, there is no denying if SL is the standard that some clubs have the desire to acheive and be part of the Championship is below that.

That said the Championship is very much improoved on what we had prior to the reintroduction of promotion and the 8's format, I also strongly argued on these pages not to long ago that the Championship plays a very attractive type of football that is more open and pleasing on the eye than much of what SL offers.

As much as you enjoyed L1 John I would wager you were glad to leave it behind and would swop playing in the Championship faster than you can blink to be in SL.

Perhaps I could have used a different terminology to get my message across as I also enjoy watching my team both home and away but my aspirations are to watch them competing in SL.

1 hour ago, Honor James said:

What `online services' exactly are you referring to?

Do you mean online streaming of all Super League games, every week?  Some Super League games every week?  Some or all Championship games every week, perhaps? Any of the above but not all every week?

And could you be more specific about how any `online services' you are suggesting might generate `more than a poxy £5m'.  I'm sure we would all like to see the game generate every possible penny available, let alone an extra £5m.

Single Game Pass £3
Single Round Pass £15
Single Team Pass £55
Full Season Pass £99

Sales forecast;

50,000 Sales @ £99 = £4.95m
100,000 Sales @ £55 = £5.5m
250,000 Sales @ £15 = £3.75m
10,000,000 Sales @ £3 = £30m

= £44,200,000

+

Playoff Pass £20
Grand Final Pass £5

Sales Forecast;

100,000 @ £20 = £2m
750,000 @ £5 = £3.75m

= £5,750,000

Grand Total = £49,950,000

Split 14 Ways = £3,567,000 per Club pa.

(198 Games)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Single Game Pass £3
Single Round Pass £15
Single Team Pass £55
Full Season Pass £99

Sales forecast;

= £44,200,000

+

Playoff Pass £20
Grand Final Pass £5

Sales Forecast;

100,000 @ £20 = £2m
750,000 @ £5 = £3.75m

= £5,750,000

(198 Games)

How much are you spending to reach ten million people?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

How much are you spending to reach ten million people?

Good question.

10m Sales / 189 regular season games = average 53k buyers (viewers) per game.

Still, would have to spend 5% of projected revenue to promote & advertise the product. (£2.5m?)

17 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Single Game Pass £3
Single Round Pass £15
Single Team Pass £55
Full Season Pass £99

Sales forecast;

= £44,200,000

+

Playoff Pass £20
Grand Final Pass £5

Sales Forecast;

100,000 @ £20 = £2m
750,000 @ £5 = £3.75m

= £5,750,000

(198 Games)

The reality is that around 30-50k maximum would subscribe and pay for this. That is a very optimistic estimate. Production costs would mean this would struggle to break even. If you are spending £££s you expect to have quality production values, not Mick Gledhill and a couple of camcorders.

The Our League games were free on the app and site and average viewers were less than 2k per game. And that was free!

52 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The reality is that around 30-50k maximum would subscribe and pay for this. That is a very optimistic estimate. Production costs would mean this would struggle to break even. If you are spending £££s you expect to have quality production values, not Mick Gledhill and a couple of camcorders.

The Our League games were free on the app and site and average viewers were less than 2k per game. And that was free!

As you have stated, production cost is pennies, given dedicated volunteers, good amateur set up. 

But let's chuck production @ £25k a game at it for 198 Games = £4.95m + the above mentioned advertising / promotion of the product at £2.5m 

So £7,450,000 off of a £49.95m sum = £42.5m / 14 = £3,035,000 per Club pa. (Down from £3,567,000) 

Someone asked for an example of how online revenue would work. I gave an example. The example I gave wasn't based on a model of the Championship / League 1 it was just a simple demo of how such a revenue model works in life. 

People, dont get ya knickers in a twist.

Someone asked how an online model would work, I gave a pretty basic generic example, just to show income of around 40m per year. 

23 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

People, dont get ya knickers in a twist.

Someone asked how an online model would work, I gave a pretty basic generic example, just to show income of around 40m per year. 

Sky probably have around 100,000 people who subscribe primarily for RL. The rest watch RL because it is part of a portfolio of sports on there and they are subscribers. Sky spend millions on production costs. 

How on earth does this translate to hundreds of thousands of people willing to subscribe to a RL only platform run by dedicated volunteers and a good amateur set up?

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sky probably have around 100,000 people who subscribe primarily for RL. The rest watch RL because it is part of a portfolio of sports on there and they are subscribers. Sky spend millions on production costs. 

How on earth does this translate to hundreds of thousands of people willing to subscribe to a RL only platform run by dedicated volunteers and a good amateur set up?

About £7.5 mil a year, that's how it translates. Over a sustained period of years. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

About £7.5 mil a year, that's how it translates. Over a sustained period of years. 

Explain how it would , I am a Championship club fan , I watch the club I support both name and away ( only because we have P and R , without it I'd pick and choose the odd game as I did last time ) but I'm not paying to watch all the other teams online , I do have SKY for Football and RL ( SL )