Dom Young - Newcastle Knights

UTK

The Newcastle Knights have just teased the announcement of an imminent signing of an English centre, from the obscured video presented it appears to me that it is Dom Young of Huddersfield. Would anyone be able to confirm this to be the case? If so, as someone who has never seen him play would anyone care to share their opinion of his potential?

Out of contract at Hudds at the end of this season. Will be interesting to see how he goes over there. Best of luck to him.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Almost went to the Storm last year but a foot injury ended that.

6’6” and around 110kg at 19/20 years old, he’s come through a very good youth programme where his technical, physical and game sense has been very well developed.

I can’t blame him for going but I do think it’s a year or two early for him! He’d be better off following Jake Wardle, Innes, Louis Senior, Macintosh, Connor etc.. into the Giants SL squad for a couple of years then make a decision!

He’s a really good lad and I know he's ambitious and has a lot of support from his family so I wish him nothing but success

Seem to recall him playing against Saints last year and I was struck by by his physical presence on the wing, he was an absolute giant! He didn't get too many opportunities to show his abilities in that match, but had a solid game when called upon. Best of luck to him in the NRL!

Gutted really, out of all our current crop of youngsters Dom was the one i was most looking forward to see progress, he is an absolute monster and he was unstoppable at times in the Academy and made a very promising debut at St Helens last year.

Good luck Dom, hope it works out 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Almost went to the Storm last year but a foot injury ended that.

6’6” and around 110kg at 19/20 years old, he’s come through a very good youth programme where his technical, physical and game sense has been very well developed.

I can’t blame him for going but I do think it’s a year or two early for him! He’d be better off following Jake Wardle, Innes, Louis Senior, Macintosh, Connor etc.. into the Giants SL squad for a couple of years then make a decision!

He’s a really good lad and I know he's ambitious and has a lot of support from his family so I wish him nothing but success

Depends on the individual though, some are ready for it earlier than others.

Not done Herbie Farnworth any harm going over at a young age.

Understand Canterbury are lining up a deal for Oliver Gildart from next year, main stumbling block is that there will be a transfer fee as he is contracted to Wigan for 2021.

Rumours of Alex Walmsley being wanted by the Bulldogs as well, though I've no idea how reliable that is as I think he has another 2 years on his St Helen's deal.

5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Would like to see more follow to be honest. Will only help Englands chances at future tournaments.

Sadly I fully agree with this. The NRL is the premier competition in Rugby League, until the full England squad are playing in the NRL I don’t think we’ll win a World Cup (or Four Nations if it ever returns)

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Rumours of Alex Walmsley being wanted by the Bulldogs as well, though I've no idea how reliable that is as I think he has another 2 years on his St Helen's deal.

Can't see it myself. You're right in that he's got time on his current deal and the quotes being used in the papers are actually from two years ago before he signed that deal and turned down the NRL. More worried about Lees and Knowles though who have also been rumoured to be attracting interest down under.

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Gutted really, out of all our current crop of youngsters Dom was the one i was most looking forward to see progress, he is an absolute monster and he was unstoppable at times in the Academy and made a very promising debut at St Helens last year.

Good luck Dom, hope it works out 

With these young blokes coming down I am impressed with how gracious you all handle it. Seems to me it could start to turn into a bit of a tsunami. A lot won`t cut it though and will come back better players.

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Understand Canterbury are lining up a deal for Oliver Gildart from next year, main stumbling block is that there will be a transfer fee as he is contracted to Wigan for 2021.

Could be big problem after the Raiders getting stung by Bateman and Wigan. Paying a transfer fee only for him to jump ship back to Wigan for free. 

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Problem is the fact that most SL clubs have asked players to take a pay cut which potentially makes contracts vulnerable to being null and void. 

49 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Could be big problem after the Raiders getting stung by Bateman and Wigan. Paying a transfer fee only for him to jump ship back to Wigan for free. 

Always a risk. Depends how shrewd the clubs are with the contracts.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

With these young blokes coming down I am impressed with how gracious you all handle it. Seems to me it could start to turn into a bit of a tsunami. A lot won`t cut it though and will come back better players.

No point grumbling about it. Can't stop them going as they just want to better themselves financially and as players which is fair enough. Plus it's still 1,000 times better than them buggering off to RU as was the ttend a few years back.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It is a great age to go and test yourself, though. Few players that young will have marriage/parenthood ties that would make the move to a new country far more complicated, and it will broaden their experience as players and people, even if it doesn't work out. And they get paid for it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It could of course be a case of young players seeing the NRL as a better option than staying at a SL club, and not necessarily NRL clubs scouting the academy's of SL clubs.

Newcastle seem to be building nicely, and O'Brien seems to have made a decent start to his coaching career.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived