Jump to content

Driving to/in mainland Europe


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Mate just returned by car from Spain via France. On way down  a few weeks ago he was caught by a speed cam.

Currently illegal in France to satnav maps with speed camera locations. 

He got home to Lincolnshire last night and his NIP was on the doormat"Got flashed in France on way down 106 kph in a 90, at 1:30am, 45 💶 fine if pay within 46 days.,"

My last three visits to France... i have been flashed 5 times. 

I'll bet I've been flashed by fixed cameras at least a dozen times over the years. I have yet to becsent a nip.

They may have tightened up over the last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've just remebered this, too.

If you are driving in France on the Routes Nationales, give cyclists plenty of room when you overtake them. A minimum of 1 metre is expected.

This might have changed but, 40 years ago, my then girlfriend gave me an earful for not doing so.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Oops.... i did a loire-vichy-st remy-troyes-home trip last year.... got seriously flashed..... still not heard owt. I may have got lucky.

I will post if the catch up with me.

I'm sending the email at this very moment! 😀😀😀

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

If i wished to contest the ticket.... for arguments sake I say "I wasn't going that fast".... how is the case heard?

Dunno. However, if you are caught by traffic police, it's an on the spot fine. They don't take cards, if you don't have the cash, they take you to a cash machine. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/08/2020 at 10:13, getdownmonkeyman said:

I have family in Zurich and I am toying with the idea of visiting them at the end of October. It has been a long time since I drove in Europe, that long that I can barley remember.

Flying isn't really a consideration at the moment, as my wide (and me, if I am honest) is comfortable with the thought of flying.

My first query is sat navs/route mapping. I have one in the car, but it can be a little erratic, that said, it could be user error. I recently used Google maps travelling from the Cotswolds to Bath, which took upon itself to change the route mid-drive. So I am a little sceptical of that. I also have Waze on my phone, but can't vouch for its capabilities outside the UK.

Any tips, advice, quite literally any help gratefully received.

TIA

 

It could be easy to assume that a lot of the detailed requirements of drivi9ng in this country are replicated in continental ones, but that is probably worth checking before you go.  It's a long time since I drove abroad - it was in France - but I seem to recall that, because I wear specs when I drive - I had to have a spare pair in the car.  Likewise, I think you may have to have a reflective jacket in the main part of the car in case you break down or have a minor accident.

A body like the AA will have webpages detailing all this, country-by-country.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i know it is illegal to tow a trailer on a motorcycle in Holland UNLESS you are a foreign rider just transiting the country -

In France don't you still have to have a pack of disposable breathalysers or have theystopped that ?

You definitely need a Hi Vis inside you car where you can reach it to put on before exiting the car - for a while a favourite of the traffic cops was to pull UK  drivers ask about the hi vis and if you stepped out of the car before donning it - on the spot fine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

i know it is illegal to tow a trailer on a motorcycle in Holland UNLESS you are a foreign rider just transiting the country -

In France don't you still have to have a pack of disposable breathalysers or have theystopped that ?

You definitely need a Hi Vis inside you car where you can reach it to put on before exiting the car - for a while a favourite of the traffic cops was to pull UK  drivers ask about the hi vis and if you stepped out of the car before donning it - on the spot fine

The breathylser isn’t required anymore. You will need a warning triangle though.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another tip. If stopped at a checkpoint ( and generally foreigners are waved through - they are mainly after locals who drink and drive) Its ok to call the cops Froggie fuzz. They think its a term of endearment. 😀😀😀😀

  • Haha 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Another tip. If stopped at a checkpoint ( and generally foreigners are waved through - they are mainly after locals who drink and drive) Its ok to call the cops Froggie fuzz. They think its a term of endearment. 😀😀😀😀

In fact it’s considered respectful to say to the Froggie Fuzz

Ta mere etait in hamster et ton pere avait l’odeur de sureau 

Edited by Shadow
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

It could be easy to assume that a lot of the detailed requirements of drivi9ng in this country are replicated in continental ones, but that is probably worth checking before you go.  It's a long time since I drove abroad - it was in France - but I seem to recall that, because I wear specs when I drive - I had to have a spare pair in the car.  Likewise, I think you may have to have a reflective jacket in the main part of the car in case you break down or have a minor accident.

A body like the AA will have webpages detailing all this, country-by-country.

They do indeed: https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/what-do-i-need

Also note the changes from the end of the year.

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...