Super League - very impressed

Since it’s return I’ve been absolutely overjoyed at the skill level and entertainment it has provided.

I was worried that mistakes would be high and intensity would be lacking but it hasn’t been the case for me.

Positivity alert: we’ve got a cracking sport and a cracking product on our shores.

4 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Since it’s return I’ve been absolutely overjoyed at the skill level and entertainment it has provided.

I was worried that mistakes would be high and intensity would be lacking but it hasn’t been the case for me.

Positivity alert: we’ve got a cracking sport and a cracking product on our shores.

Are you sure you’re a rugby league fan as I could detect zero level of moaning in your post! 😉

The big positives for me

The 6-Again rule seems to have dramatically cut down the amount of delaying tactics at the play-the-ball

Salford & Sts in particular have shown an extremely high & inordinate level of skill

Ian Watson proving once again that a quality coach can get average to good players to play great high level superbly skilled Rugby League 

Hull KR are trying their best to get away from the scripted attacking play we’ve seen all teams use over the last few years, it’s refreshing if not yet successful.

The time that the ball is in play has increased by around 15% making the game better to watch and more value for money

The refereeing has been very good throughout

If I had to moan about anything it would be BBC Sport trying their best to pretend that RL wasn't happening.

Or is that because I'm not in the UK?

Having watched NRL I knew the intensity would be fine.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

If I had to moan about anything it would be BBC Sport trying their best to pretend that RL wasn't happening.

Or is that because I'm not in the UK?

Having watched NRL I knew the intensity would be fine.

To be fair the BBC did mention RL on a bulletin the other day, which was about Folau not kneeling (they didn’t mention who was playing or what the score was though). 

57 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Been impressed with the standard on the return and like the new rules.

My only concern so far is that a lot of the games have been one sided .Our game is at its best when the scores are close.

The downside of the 6-Again rule is the increased momentum a team can generate and as we already knew momentum was everything in Rugby League. With it you can put 5 or 6 try’s on the opposition before they catch a break and get some possession.

That leads to games like the Hudds V Leeds or Wigan V Wakey matches where one team races out to a decent lead then the other team gains some momentum and puts a similar amount of points on the board. The other type of game is the Catalan V Cas, Sts V Leeds, Salford V Hull FC where one team keeps the momentum and rattles ina huge score making it a lopsided shalaking!

Listen fella's we should form a club, with strict entry qualifications. The most important being we don't descend into the normal ''woe is me'' moaning so typical of the ordinary RL fan. I reckon in the whole of the Uk we are the only nine people to qualify. What do you say, shall we set it up? We need to take a vote on OMEGA.

42 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

The downside of the 6-Again rule is the increased momentum a team can generate and as we already knew momentum was everything in Rugby League. With it you can put 5 or 6 try’s on the opposition before they catch a break and get some possession.

That leads to games like the Hudds V Leeds or Wigan V Wakey matches where one team races out to a decent lead then the other team gains some momentum and puts a similar amount of points on the board. The other type of game is the Catalan V Cas, Sts V Leeds, Salford V Hull FC where one team keeps the momentum and rattles ina huge score making it a lopsided shalaking!

Salford's ability to dish out a lopsided shellacking to Hull isn't affected by the new rules: they dished out an identical shellacking in 2017 In a game that contained scrums.

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

I'm impressed too, i don't need to watch games on live pause and fast forward to the game restarting every 3 minutes now without the scrums, peeing about at penalties etc - more of the same please.

Same for me, I often watch the games slightly delayed on record and find I'm now actually watching the full game without picking the remote up every couple of minutes.

The good weather is probably helping a bit, but I think much of the rugby has been great so far - Saints and Salford have been superb.

8 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

The game is fantastic when it's played fast and open, sadly, the last few years have all been about physical and mental dominance, the ability to be physically stronger and wrestle better than your opponents and the ability to con the most penalties have both dominated over skill and cleverness recently.

Although I don't necessarily want to see a 13 a side 9's game or touch and pass, it's refreshing to see the fast, open, skilful game I fell in love with at Fartown all those years ago!

8 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Yes but the crowds look to have been very poor.  😉

Now now, we cant have any positivety on here please 🙂 In all seriousness, really enjoyed what Ive watched so far...esp Salford and the Saints yesterday.

Loved every one of the 4 games we had broadcast, even though a couple ended up as blow outs the sheer levels of skill on show was great, remember for most of these guys it was their first game in months. Once again our players deliver the goods!

4 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Salford's ability to dish out a lopsided shellacking to Hull isn't affected by the new rules: they dished out an identical shellacking in 2017 In a game that contained scrums.

You are looking at this the wrong way

Hull have very quickly adapted to the new rules to ensure they continue getting hammered and concede 50 points plus 

I really enjoyed the games this week. I watched all three on Sunday which I don’t think I could have done prior to the break. The game seems to flow a lot better and the frustration at breaks for penalties and scrums isn’t there.

hopefully, as teams get used to it the games will be closer too. A couple of blow outs were to be expected. Loving the more creative play too and it’s only the first week so it should improve further. Salford were a joy to watch.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 hours ago, LeeF said:

You are looking at this the wrong way

Hull have very quickly adapted to the new rules to ensure they continue getting hammered and concede 50 points plus 

You make a valid point. Hull are able to do this because they have a high degree of stability and consistency within the club. Six of the players who played for Hull that night played for them last Sunday, plus Josh Jones, who played for Salford then. In addition, I think both Danny Houghton and Albert Kelly only missed that game because of injury. This means there's a kind of muscle memory to Hull's pantsness - muller memory, as it were. By contrast, only two members of the Salford team that night are still at the club today, so they've had to learn Hull's pantsness anew.

I have to say (as I don't have great God Sky), some the tries I have seen on the BBC Superleague Show have been exceptional. This weeks hat-trick from Regan Grace were superb, especially the first one, as an ex-winger I can appreciate the side steps that left the Leeds defence looking like amateurs.

Salford looked very strong, although HFC were really, really poor.

Catalans may struggle if they are not staying overnight each week, but looked good last weekend.

Saints were fantastic against Leeds, and Warrington deserved that one.

1 hour ago, Hammerless Nail said:

You make a valid point. Hull are able to do this because they have a high degree of stability and consistency within the club. Six of the players who played for Hull that night played for them last Sunday, plus Josh Jones, who played for Salford then. In addition, I think both Danny Houghton and Albert Kelly only missed that game because of injury. This means there's a kind of muscle memory to Hull's pantsness - muller memory, as it were. By contrast, only two members of the Salford team that night are still at the club today, so they've had to learn Hull's pantsness anew.

So we are both basically saying it’s the culture and attitude that is wrong at Hull and changing the coach doesn’t really resolve their issues only a churn of the playing squad or at least a decent proportion will sort

Archived