L'Equipe Viewing Figures

Not official yet but according to posters on the French forum Catalan's viewing figures on the station thus far have been.

200,000 for the live games against Saints and 442,000 for the game against Castleford.

Both good audiences if this is the case and the Cas one especially when you consider it was recorded. 

Imagine if both TO and Cats were on L'Equipe.

Can the French posters verify those figures and also tell us what impact the coverage has had locally? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the extra 242000 only tuned in to watch Israel Folau standing up.

Seriously though, great news and hopefully it can be maintained.

TO in SL would make a TV deal easier to sell there as it would provide the option of a SL game each week for French viewers.

Given the ongoing nature of Covid and fewer people doing other things with their leisure time probably until well into 2021, this is an opportunity to drive up TV audiences and engage people with RL both in France and here.

Said to the wife yesterday in passing,  I think I am going to track down a Catalans Dragons jumper, I only have to say these things once, I know she will be onto it and surprise me at Christmas. Go the Dragons - both sides of the equator.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Said to the wife yesterday in passing,  I think I am going to track down a Catalans Dragons jumper, I only have to say these things once, I know she will be onto it and surprise me at Christmas. Go the Dragons - both sides of the equator.

Has your wife, got a sister? 

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Does she look like Elle McPherson too?

4 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

And people said the Folau signing was bad for catalans. Meanwhile its the only thing keeping them relevant.

There are other things also keeping them relevant.

He's a cracking player though and I'm sure having him is a big help.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Has your wife, got a sister? 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Does she look like Elle McPherson too?

You`re going to love this........She`s got 4 ..... I`ve got to be real careful here or I might get into trouble and no Catalans jumper. 

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You`re going to love this........She`s got 4 ..... I`ve got to be real careful here or I might get into trouble and no Catalans jumper. 

I’m not a Barcelona fan (far from it) but the shirt that the Dragons wore in the Nou Camp against Wigan last season is one of my favourite all time RL shirts. 
https://www.oneills.com/uk_en/catalans-dragons-cn-rugby-jersey-v7.html

Would be useful to hear from French fans or speakers what the commentaries are like. If they`re done by French equivalents of Baz and Tez, the benefit to RL in France will be limited at best.

Most French RL commentaries I`ve heard come across pretty well. With only a minor grasp of the language though, it`s impossible to be sure about the quality. A lot turns on nuance and idiom.

I used to think it a canard that the French say "Ooh La La!". But when there`s a big hit they do indeed say "Ooh La La La La La La La La La!".

But a 50,000 increase on the peak is significant (which is what they mean, it is just really badly worded) as is a 16% increase on the rolling average when the average for 2019 was just over 150K per game (and that was an increase on 2018). 

It shows a pretty significant turnaround to where we were at in the age of Super 8s.

Doing the maths, we would be tracking around the 180K per game as the average on Sky so far and enjoying peaks up above the 400K mark.

As for L'Equipe, if those figures are legitimate, if I was Rob Elstone, I'd be on the phone to them and be saying "what do we have to give you so you keep broadcasting SL for the rest of the year?"  Sure they're not paying and they're reluctant to even cover broadcast costs, but if SL can guarantee a regular 200K-400K every week in France, even if they have to fork out a bit of cash from their pockets, they will get sponsors from that market, and they will eventually get someone who is prepared to pay for those rights.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

But a 50,000 increase on the peak is significant (which is what they mean, it is just really badly worded) as is a 16% increase on the rolling average when the average for 2019 was just over 150K per game (and that was an increase on 2018). 

It shows a pretty significant turnaround to where we were at in the age of Super 8s.

Doing the maths, we would be tracking around the 180K per game as the average on Sky so far and enjoying peaks up above the 400K mark.

As for L'Equipe, if those figures are legitimate, if I was Rob Elstone, I'd be on the phone to them and be saying "what do we have to give you so you keep broadcasting SL for the rest of the year?"  Sure they're not paying and they're reluctant to even cover broadcast costs, but if SL can guarantee a regular 200K-400K every week in France, even if they have to fork out a bit of cash from their pockets, they will get sponsors from that market, and they will eventually get someone who is prepared to pay for those rights.

Totally agree.

France is an interesting one there is money to be made just a question of contacts:)

P

7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Absolutely agree with that, however the people that run RL in the uk aren't known for their long term thinking 

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Absolutely agree with that, however the people that run RL in the uk aren't known for their long term thinking 

Forget about long term thinking  how about some short term thinking and get on that phone tomorrow. Pronto.

19 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Would be useful to hear from French fans or speakers what the commentaries are like. If they`re done by French equivalents of Baz and Tez, the benefit to RL in France will be limited at best.

Most French RL commentaries I`ve heard come across pretty well. With only a minor grasp of the language though, it`s impossible to be sure about the quality. A lot turns on nuance and idiom.

I used to think it a canard that the French say "Ooh La La!". But when there`s a big hit they do indeed say "Ooh La La La La La La La La La!".

If its the same guys who were on BEIN, they are very Catalans biased to say the least.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Forget about long term thinking  how about some short term thinking and get on that phone tomorrow. Pronto.

You'd think it would be that simple.  I'm sure it isn't, but there isnt the transparency within SL that tells us what is happening until its signed and sealed.  I understand that and why, but as a game in the UK, we arent bullish enough in selling ourselves or the game.

21 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Not sure if she will buy from Aus or France (she bought mine from France) but the gear from the Catalans shop is good quality.  Ive had some stuff for years and it is still in very good nick.

🙂

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

we arent bullish enough in selling ourselves or the game.

Yes, bullish was the part I was referring to. As was said on a recent post elsewhere there is a view in the NRL hierarchy that Super League is under sold and hence under valued.

Archived