Doctor Scotty

YorkyDog

We have lost another great Championship player. The team is weakened by this. We lost Dom Brambani, Patch Walker, Jamie Davey, and Cain Southernwood. With the departure of each of these players, the team slide further down the league tables. Walker’s organizational skills excelled in getting the team round the pitch. Brambani, Davey, Southernwood and Scotty took good advantage of opportunities.

Now Scotty is away and he is only 27. He was reported by the media to be one of the best fullbacks in Championship. His defensive organisation of the team stopped tries going in against us. As last line of defence, he would put himself on the line, and time and again tries were stopped. His ability to catch the high ball was fantastic. Often he did this under pressure. How he manages to out jump taller players is incredible. He has an ability to pass of right hand and left hand equally well. His support play is superb. A number of his tries came from quick offloads. Others tries came from his fast pace. When he started goal kicking, many of us were astounded by his boot ability.

He won a good number of Batley awards. He has had more than a fair share of man of the match votes.

Many people have said that if he was a bit taller he would be in Super League. This just goes to show that he is a talented skillful rugby player.

He is a Scottish International player. In 2019, Scotty became Scotland’s all-time top try scorer. He knows when to takes his opportunities.

https://www.scotlandrl.com/2020/04/15/david-scott-a-scottish-rugby-league-local-hero/

From the stats, he has played in 189 Championship matches. Also, he played 18 international games. These records shout: experience, experience, experience.

On the other hand, Hooley, who is 22, has played in 24 Championship games and a number of League 1 games. He was released from Wakefield and did not play first team rugby. He was on loan to Dewsbury, but he was not signed by Dewsbury.

Right from the start of 2020, the relatively inexperienced Hooley seemed to be Batley’s preferred fullback. This is odd, as normally players need to fight for a position, and not be given it on a plate.

Finally, I came across this internet article:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Scott88

So Scotty has a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Hull in the Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science. He must be the only rugby league player with a PhD. His research concerns the conditioning and coaching of rugby league players. Wow!

Scotty has brains. Not only does Batley need brains on the pitch, Batley needs brains off the pitch. Sadly, I am certain that the Bulldogs will live to regret Doctor Scotty’s departure.

I agree wholeheartedly Yorky, losing Scotty is an utter disgrace. I know we'll both get crucified for our opinion, but you've said exactly what I have on another thread; we appear to have taken to heart a player who has been unable to get regular game time at any club he's been to, couldn't get a contract even at Dewsbury and believe me that's no slight on Dewsbury! People will say 'but he's only 22, give him time', well don't forget Scotty was only 22 when JK brought him in in 2016 and the difference in both players at 22 is frankly enormous. I do hope that there's somebody lined up in a needed position to cover Scotty's hole, but quite honestly I don't have much breath left to hold. Bye Dave, all the very best. Donny, a star rises!

Have got to say,i think hes one a best pound for pound players we have had,and value for money factor must be high compared to one or two we hang on to for the odd half an hour,  ALL THE BEST SCOTTY LAD.and thanks.

Always liked him. Unsure how people bag his attack or support play.

Only full back I've known that is usually 95% certain to diffuse high ball. Be positionally sound and able to cut down last man before line.

😞

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

What I find puzzling is why he has joined Doncaster. Maybe the money is better but it is a fair step down in quality.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What I find puzzling is why he has joined Doncaster. Maybe the money is better but it is a fair step down in quality.

With Batley being near the bottom of the championship, where else could he go? He knows Donny, and Donny know him. I'd be sad to see him go but he isn't the player he was and I'd start with Hooley at fullback 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

With Batley being near the bottom of the championship, where else could he go? He knows Donny, and Donny know him. I'd be sad to see him go but he isn't the player he was and I'd start with Hooley at fullback 

Well if were looking at binning players who aint what they were,Had be keeping 5.

40 minutes ago, phildog said:

Why, Piggy's Mate?

Defensively Scott has been excellent, but he's never given us the same offensively and since his knock with Scotland, he hasn't been the same fullback. He's a super lad always the first to come and thank the fans but we are slipping further down the table. We can't keep doing the same thing expecting a different result as Einstein said. After 7 & 6 the number 1 shirt is key and I think Hooley shows some promise. All this aside we need an injection of quality and speed into the team if we are to keep our place in the championship next season!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

I would have preferred that Scotty stayed but PMs summation seems fair to me.  His willingness to acknowledge the fans whatever the result says something about the bloke.  At his best as good an all round full back as you could wish to have in the side.  Linners, perhaps, will be looking for someone that he can mould into his style of play.  

Not a great benchmark. Dewsbury didn't keep Lillycrop, but he has done OK. Lot's of reasons why players aren't kept on by clubs. 

43 minutes ago, phildog said:

A player has to have the quality to mould, see previous that Dewsbury didn't keep him....

38 minutes ago, phildog said:

A player has to have the quality to mould, see previous that Dewsbury didn't keep him....

Using that logic, they didn't keep Hirst, Everett, Crouthers, Lyndsey, Lillicrop, Bretherton or so many countless others over the years either. 

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

Go for it Phil. After all, we are only stating opinions here!

And are you suggesting Lillycrop was not worth a place in the team?

What I like most about Tom is his desire to run through the brick wall. He's not the biggest but he fair plows into the opposition and imo gives the whole team a lift. Walton and Ulugia were similar,  the guys who give 110% always lift the crowd and their team mates

On 12/08/2020 at 11:15, distantdog said:

Not a great benchmark. Dewsbury didn't keep Lillycrop, but he has done OK. Lot's of reasons why players aren't kept on by clubs. 

It'd be more accurate to say that Morrison didn't keep Lillycrop ................ 🤨

In 2017 Scotty made 31 appearances for the Bulldogs. He scored 12 tries and kicked 10 goals. He was Man of Match 2 times.

Then in November 2017, he was injured in Australia playing for Scotland.

In 2018 Scotty again made 31 appearances for the Bulldogs. This time he scored 13 tries and kicked 29 goals. Also, he was Man of the Match 3 times.

By direct comparison, it can be seen that from 2017 to 2018, Scotty scored more tries, kicked more goals and was MoM more times.

These stats refute any opinion that Scotty’s performance was poorer after his injury at the end of 2017. If anything, the stats show an improved performance in 2018.

Stats are never wrong! What can I say the vast majority of fans rate him and he's the best defensive fullback I've ever watched and I hope he has a successful return to Donny

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty’s attack play is good. Go and look back at some of our 2018 tries and see how they happened. The team play was great.

Scotty, all the best for Donny.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently on page 17 on Forum – was Posted 4th August 2018 by Batley Bob.

July try of the month 2018

Scotty was involved in three of these four tries.

Try 1

Passes: 9 to 3 to 1 to 3 to 9 try by Leak

Good back handed pass to Scotty, Scotty’s one handed lob back to 3, then in support of Leak to try line.

Try 2

Passes: 9 to 1 to 15 try by Harrison.

Leak’s line break, pass to Scotty, Scotty’s run and he held opposition fullback and then passed to Harrison.

Try 3

Reittie try. Great passing and great run.

Try 4

Passes: 7 to 1 to 31 to 4 to 23 try by Campbell.

Scotty’s short pass inside to Jouffret leading to line break. Excellent play by Jouffret.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the September tries of month 2018

Passes: 31 to 1 try by Scotty.

Collected by Jouffret behind posts. Jouffret run. Scotty in support. Pass to Scotty at 35 metres. 65m race by Scotty to try line.

Archived