Greg Worthington

haskey

I have just read a heart rending article concerning Greg, on Total RL, who played for us prior lockdown on loan, who is having to take on manual labour, and his wife cutting short her maternity leave to make ends meet. Surely if an employer does not pay its workforce their due wages ,they should be forced into administration., and the law then takes over. As this is a Canadian concern , are their laws different.?

This is another reason why Toronto should be given the boot.

Question:-  Am I right or am I completely wrong.

Does anyone know.   

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Got to be a real **** to be a billionaire and let a group of working class lads and lasses go 3 months without

In principle I'd agree. Is the reason because he won't pay, or because he doesn't have the cash to pay though? I've not seen anything to indicate either way, and there is a significant difference in having millions in assets and millions in cash. It would be interesting to know. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I wonder if there is a Furlough scheme, or equivalent, in Canada.

I feel sorry for  Greg and his family as I do for all affected by this horid virus. 

It is a big problem to resolve. Are they protected by the Candanian Employment Regulations?  As the club has effectively ceased trading a hard problem to resolve. Are Super  league  or the RFL able to help?

12 hours ago, gazza77 said:

In principle I'd agree. Is the reason because he won't pay, or because he doesn't have the cash to pay though? I've not seen anything to indicate either way, and there is a significant difference in having millions in assets and millions in cash. It would be interesting to know. 

I suspect, as with Koukash, he's probably not nearly as 'rich' as made out. The club said it needed £200k to take part this season. That really should be peanuts for a billionaire, never mind one who supposedly loves the game and wanted to throw SC restrictions out of the window, to raise whether most wealth is tied up in assets or not.

7 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I suspect, as with Koukash, he's probably not nearly as 'rich' as made out. The club said it needed £200k to take part this season. That really should be peanuts for a billionaire, never mind one who supposedly loves the game and wanted to throw SC restrictions out of the window, to raise whether most wealth is tied up in assets or not.

Asset rich and cash poor I believe, and all of his assets have dived due to furlough. I feel sorry for all of these players and their families. Nobody ever became so (allegedly) wealthy by being a nice person, though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Asset rich and cash poor I believe, and all of his assets have dived due to furlough. I feel sorry for all of these players and their families. Nobody ever became so (allegedly) wealthy by being a nice person, though.

If he were as rich as suggested he'd be able to access the small change (to him) required to pay the players. Funny how he doesn't appear in any 'rich list' and the adjective billionaire only gets applied to him after he became involved with a RL club. Reminds me of someone else who was going to be the UK game's saviour.....

27 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If he were as rich as suggested he'd be able to access the small change (to him) required to pay the players. Funny how he doesn't appear in any 'rich list' and the adjective billionaire only gets applied to him after he became involved with a RL club. Reminds me of someone else who was going to be the UK game's saviour.....

A club should be able to support itself, all this one man money just squews the competition and rarely ends well. 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

To be honest virtually every club in SL is dependent on a sugar daddy and if anything happens they are screwed. It makes me laugh their supporters look down on championship clubs but the reality is they are generally better run than most SL clubs.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 19:14, The Blues Ox said:

Got to be a real **** to be a billionaire and let a group of working class lads and lasses go 3 months without

This is exactly the reason they become millionaires. Leave em to stew in their own juice. We have our own problems over here. Sorry to learn about Worthington. A good no nonsense player.

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

If he was at Fev on loan when the season was put on hold, did you not carry on paying him?

Would his pay not be subject to the terms of his loan? We wouldn't necessarily being paying all his salary... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived