Is Robert Elstone still the best man to lead Super League

Whatever your opinion on the EPL, Richard Scudamore did a stellar job, and he's not engaged in anything big time at present I don't think. Wonder if he likes RL. Just saying 😉

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Whatever your opinion on the EPL, Richard Scudamore did a stellar job, and he's not engaged in anything big time at present I don't think. Wonder if he likes RL. Just saying 😉

EPL to Super League

That's like asking Richard Branson to run a corner shop

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

It's worth remembering that SL since the split from the RFL have been operating with the exact same resources as the RFL had, namely the money from SKY. No clubs have put any resource into the running, or improvement/progress, of SL.

If you want compare SL under Elstone, compare it with what it was beforehand. 

I think he's done ok, and would like to see what more he could do with greater resource and some stability post Covid.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's worth remembering that SL since the split from the RFL have been operating with the exact same resources as the RFL had, namely the money from SKY. No clubs have put any resource into the running, or improvement/progress, of SL.

If you want compare SL under Elstone, compare it with what it was beforehand. 

I think he's done ok, and would like to see what more he could do with greater resource and some stability post Covid.

It's also worth noting that a lot of RFL staff followed him from Red Hall to SLE. 

The Head of Marketing, two Marketing Managers, the Chief Commercial Officer, Parnerships Manager and the Head of Digital were all previously at the RFL before moving over to work with Elstone. 

https://www.linkedin.com/company/superleague/people/

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It's also worth noting that a lot of RFL staff followed him from Red Hall to SLE. 

The Head of Marketing, two Marketing Managers, the Chief Commercial Officer, Parnerships Manager and the Head of Digital were all previously at the RFL before moving over to work with Elstone. 

https://www.linkedin.com/company/superleague/people/

I don't necessarily think that's really much of an issue. Over the years there's been a lot of very capable people at the RFL, but if you don't have the resource to work with and an unwilling or reluctant leadership, no matter how talented you are it's a pretty tough gig. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I think Elstones done ok with the resources he’s had. The rebrand and launch went well but I think it’s hard to really judge anyone atm with Covid. 

At the end of the day his biggest problem is the clubs. Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. I wonder if he had fully control what he would do?

7 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Is Martyn Sadler still the best man to lead Total Rugby League when he provides a link that doesn't work unless you do something else that you may not have the time or inclination to do?

More seriously, we can all debate issues like this, but (a) I do not know exactly what you mean, Martyn, by the verb 'lead' in this particular context; and (b) I haven't seen Mr Elstone's job description, so cannot say specifically how well he is doing in relation to it.  Of course, whether we think that j.d. is wrong is another matter!

My own experience of being a CEO was all in the not-for-profit sector.  However much one wanted to make executive decisions, on more far-reaching matters there was always a board of trustees or directors to take along with you.  That critical aspect of a CEO's work is something which, by definition, the public never sees at first hand.

7 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think the big elephant in the room is that Elstone doesn't seem to actually have that much power. 

It looks as if he has free reign to do stuff like branding and persentation, and there have undoubtedly been improvements there. But on key issues such as operational strategy, format, structure, the "product" and on the situation with Toronto, it appears as if he is rendered completely impotent by the clubs, all of whom have voted in their own self-interest. 

Super League didn't need a Creative Director, a Branding Manager or a Sales Director - it needed a CEO who understand who could lead the competition to commercial growth. It's all well and good the shop window looking great, but it's wasted if there is a chaotic mess behind the front door. 

On the TW issue specifically, it's no secret that certain club owners have seen Toronto as the unwanted step child of Super League. I stand by my comments on the TW thread that the Wolfpack threatened to be a tall poppy and certain individuals would have stopped at nothing to cut it down. Even if Elstone wanted to do something, I really question whether he would have been enabled to. 

The sport is crying out for "disruption" - for something to get it out of a commercial malaise, and Elstone should be empowered to facilitate that disruption. The problem is that the clubs themselves will do anything to resist that disruption - presumably because they're frightened that it just might work. 

Exactly. He isn't really a CEO, more a Commercial Director. I have no idea how good he is or not but it would have taken someone remarkable to be more effective whilst the club chairmen are running the real show.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Define 'Lead'

I don't think we know what we want from a 'leader', and until we know that we can't know whether Elstone is providing it. That for me is the nub of the problem. To what extent is he actually allowed to lead. Or is he just the mouthpiece for a squabbling group of SL chairmen?

You're right to point out that the structure of the Super League organisation is a massive negative for anyone who wants to demonstrate leadership.

It's unwise to appoint someone on a large salary and then not allow him to make decisions.

I've pointed that out on many occasions.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

You're right to point out that the structure of the Super League organisation is a massive negative for anyone who wants to demonstrate leadership.

It's unwise to appoint someone on a large salary and then not allow him to make decisions.

I've pointed that out on many occasions.

Totally agree. The Chairmen or some of them, seem to be the decision makers. He probably just does as he is told to do or say. Not a healthy situation, and one that could well put off any potential investors.

I thought it was a wrong and unproductive thing to do to split from the RFL in the first place and to cherry pick the best staff and interesting functions whilst leaving behind the unappealing admin stuff with the RFL and adding several hundred thousand £ to the sport's executive payroll. But having done it, you surely let him finish the job he was brought in to do, which is see the game through the new TV deal.

There is a lot of criticism, including in League Express, of the game chopping and changing. For once let's stick with something - at the very least removing Elstone now would send a terrible signal to Sky and the game's sponsors as we lead up to a critical period.

I wonder if the underperforming club owners who forced the change through in the first place are having second thoughts, knowledge of which prompted this article?

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I thought it was a wrong and unproductive thing to do to split from the RFL in the first place and to cherry pick the best staff and interesting functions whilst leaving behind the unappealing admin stuff with the RFL and adding several hundred thousand £ to the sport's executive payroll. But having done it, you surely let him finish the job he was brought in to do, which is see the game through the new TV deal.

There is a lot of criticism, including in League Express, of the game chopping and changing. For once let's stick with something - at the very least removing Elstone now would send a terrible signal to Sky and the game's sponsors as we lead up to a critical period.

I wonder if the underperforming club owners who forced the change through in the first place are having second thoughts, knowledge of which prompted this article?

My last sentence in the article is: "But I do think that Robert has to demonstrate stronger leadership skills than he has shown recently."

I'm not saying that he should be removed.

What I am saying is that he needs to demonstrate more effective and decisive leadership.

11 hours ago, M j M said:

Don't forget the private equity deal that, allegedly,  he is continuing to pursue with the eager backing of a number of SL chairmen.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 12/08/2020 at 11:52, tuutaisrambo said:

I reckon the sky offer will be down by a third at best.

Yes. Change of ownership of Sky + Brexit + Covid19 will mean a certain caution will be applied to spending, previously at sky every pound had to count, now it will be every penny. coupled with increased investment and coverage of NRL & NFL (including Sky Sports NFL Channel) ........

Archived