Paul McGregor to coach in Super League?

He is an average at best NRL coach, suggesting he could come and coach in SL is exactly the wrong approach for the game here.

It's failed time and time again, Australian coaching imports should be the ambitious and highly-rated ones.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

He is an average at best NRL coach, suggesting he could come and coach in SL is exactly the wrong approach for the game here.

It's failed time and time again, Australian coaching imports should be the ambitious and highly-rated ones.

Ryan Carr.... a classic example of your point

Why would any SL club approach an ex-NRL club coach with no history of success at the one club he has coached? Seems madness, and a recipe for potential disaster.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Why would any SL club approach an ex-NRL club coach with no history of success at the one club he has coached? Seems madness, and a recipe for potential disaster.

Some strange comments. 

I would wager any SL club would welcome Justin Holbrook at their club right now.  A guy who was an assistant, had no success in the NRL and is currently below McGregor in the league.  Or a Matthew Elliot, an assistant with no success who came to Bradford and had a 70% ish success rate.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Ryan Carr.... a classic example of your point

Out of interest, where is he now? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

40 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some strange comments. 

I would wager any SL club would welcome Justin Holbrook at their club right now.  A guy who was an assistant, had no success in the NRL and is currently below McGregor in the league.  Or a Matthew Elliot, an assistant with no success who came to Bradford and had a 70% ish success rate.

But none of those guys coached 1st grade at an NRL club beforehand.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

40 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some strange comments. 

Can't recall much about Elliott, but Holbrook came over as a highly-rated emerging coach - he was Trent Robinson's assistant at Roosters and Australia U-21 coach.

McGregor has a proven track-record of mediocrity at the top of his profession.

38 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Can't recall much about Elliott, but Holbrook came over as a highly-rated emerging coach - he was Trent Robinson's assistant at Roosters and Australia U-21 coach.

McGregor has a proven track-record of mediocrity at the top of his profession.

Strangely enough, I think Elliott was on the lower coaching staff at St.George.  Built the platform for Bradfords success and also Brian Noble.  Holbrook was an assistant at a couple of clubs before the Roosters.  Neither had won anything as individuals.

44 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

But none of those guys coached 1st grade at an NRL club beforehand.

Exactly.  They both had terrific success, yet had achieved very little at the higher end.

Your comment Mike was that it would be madness to appoint anyone without a history of success, when history shows that isnt true.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Exactly.  They both had terrific success, yet had achieved very little at the higher end.

Your comment Mike was that it would be madness to appoint anyone without a history of success, when history shows that isnt true.

No, my comment was that it would be madness (maybe a bit too strong for a Thursday morning) to employ a coach who has only coached one club, without any success.  The examples you gave, and you could add others into that category, were all assistants with good and growing reps. Paul McGregor doesn't fall into that category. 

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

No, my comment was that it would be madness (maybe a bit too strong for a Thursday morning) to employ a coach who has only coached one club, without any success.  The examples you gave, and you could add others into that category, were all assistants with good and growing reps. Paul McGregor doesn't fall into that category. 

Again, Brian Smith proves that theory wrong, however, Steve Price at Warrington proves it right!    I think McGregor has improved the side marginally since he took over from Price but still at the lower levels of the NRL.  Tough league.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Knew he'd been rumoured to be going there, but never seen anything formal until now. Answers what no 17 did next too. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

No reason not to give him a go in Super League in my opinion. Head coach in the NRL for the last 6 years isn’t anything to turn our noses up at. No top or high flying coach is going to come over from the NRL. Inexperienced, ‘emerging’ coaches can go well but why prioritise those over the experience of an established head coach in the top RL competition? 

I don’t think it’s been the easiest working conditions at the Dragons. Shane Flanagan hovering and apparently being forced to work within a team selection committee system. 

On 13/08/2020 at 13:38, Lowdesert said:

Again, Brian Smith proves that theory wrong, however, Steve Price at Warrington proves it right!    I think McGregor has improved the side marginally since he took over from Price but still at the lower levels of the NRL.  Tough league.

Actually i take back my comment about it being madness, i'd forgotten McGregor had been at St. George for 7 seasons. Seemed like a lot less in my mind. 7 years experience in the NRL is not bad going, despite him not being able to bring the required success to St. George.

I think Shaun Wane would be a good fit for St. George, but it seems his name is no longer being mentioned in relation to any of the vacancies in the NRL.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 13/08/2020 at 09:42, Whippet13 said:

, Australian coaching imports should be the ambitious and highly-rated ones.

And you think SL would ever be a big enough temptation for the best?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Archived