Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pulga

Oregon Rugby League unveil new logo

Recommended Posts

How the blazes do these teams keep popping up ? It never fails to blow me away.

Not a bad crowd at Greysmouth Kiwi. 

What`s the 13 and the 6?  lock and five eight, interchangeable to some, Wade Graham, Phil Gould, et. al.

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

It is now time for the State of Oregon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope this is more than just a logo and rugby League is played in Oregon, USA.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

What`s the 13 and the 6?  lock and five eight, interchangeable to some, Wade Graham, Phil Gould, et. al.

 

It was the score when the Kiwi's beat Australia in 1987

Edited by kiwis 13 6
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Hope this is more than just a logo and rugby League is played in Oregon, USA.

It was the score when the Kiwi's beat Australia in 1987

Love it. Very clever. Bloody Kiwi.

That wasn`t the game where Howie Tamati and Greg Dowling were head butting each other on the sideline. One of the most terrifying things I have ever witnessed in my life.

By the way isn`t it 3a.m. over there ?

Edited by The Rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Love it. Very clever. Bloody Kiwi.

That wasn`t the game where Howie Tamati and Greg Dowling were head butting each other on the sideline. One of the most terrifying things I have ever witnessed in my life.

By the way isn`t it 3a.m. over there ?

2.30am to be precise lol. It was the year after the Dowling vs Tamati scrap.

Wonder if Oregon will be working with BC league on west coast of Canada?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

2.30am to be precise lol. It was the year after the Dowling vs Tamati scrap.

Wonder if Oregon will be working with BC league on west coast of Canada?

We can only hope. Bed for me. Oooroo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Hope this is more than just a logo and rugby League is played in Oregon, USA.

Having just looked at their facebook page, sadly, I think this might be the case.  A "logo design" is a complete non-story if there is zero activity there to back it up.  Also, their latest FB post does not fill me with confidence either:

New logo, State flag colors- chinook salmon. New attitude
Will be more active and contacting current union clubs about collaboration for the growth of ORL.

"More active about contacting union clubs?"  Seriously??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's correct, ORL is only just begging their journey but it is a start. There's a guy on the ground who wants to get it started.

I know it's unpalatable for some but converting union players is hundreds of times easier than training people from scratch.

This is exactly what happened with California and they're doing quite well now.

  • Like 2

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pulga said:

It's correct, ORL is only just begging their journey but it is a start. There's a guy on the ground who wants to get it started.

I know it's unpalatable for some but converting union players is hundreds of times easier than training people from scratch.

This is exactly what happened with California and they're doing quite well now.

Short-term, yes.  Medium and long-term, no.  Speaking from experience.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, langpark said:

Short-term, yes.  Medium and long-term, no.  Speaking from experience.

Speaking from experience in countries with very little of both code poaching union players is really the only way. 

It's the same reason why American Football players that don't make the NFL will never make it in rugby league.


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, langpark said:

Short-term, yes.  Medium and long-term, no.  Speaking from experience.

Absolutely right. I`m repeating myself from the Greece thread (not alone in that). Union players are fine to make a start. Thereafter, diminishing returns.

And I`m repeating myself from multiple threads in saying that after a Tackle RL foothold is established, the non-contact forms of Tag and Touch are far more likely to build the numbers quickly. These are visibly, unmistakeably League not Union. Therefore highly useful in creating a distinct League identity, and getting new people familiar with PTB, limited possession, markers, dummy-half, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you'd swear they needed to learn calculus!!!! its a pretty simple game to get into for crying out loud. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fighting irish said:

you'd swear they needed to learn calculus!!!! its a pretty simple game to get into for crying out loud. 

If I`m reading this correctly, it sounds like exasperation derived from teaching RL to those more familiar with RU.

Probably the quickest RL learners are those with not an inkling of knowledge of either game. If someone has played, watched, or even just has a vague idea of RU, they have to both learn and unlearn simultaneously. Your cry of pain notwithstanding, I would think the playing side of this problem can be addressed relatively easily. It`s more intractable when trying to build an audience for RL

Incidentally, I adore calculus. Never happier than when solving long, complex pure maths problems involving differential equations, integration, parametric curves, points of inflection... all truly beautiful. Like RL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If I`m reading this correctly, it sounds like exasperation derived from teaching RL to those more familiar with RU.

Probably the quickest RL learners are those with not an inkling of knowledge of either game. If someone has played, watched, or even just has a vague idea of RU, they have to both learn and unlearn simultaneously. Your cry of pain notwithstanding, I would think the playing side of this problem can be addressed relatively easily. It`s more intractable when trying to build an audience for RL

Incidentally, I adore calculus. Never happier than when solving long, complex pure maths problems involving differential equations, integration, parametric curves, points of inflection... all truly beautiful. Like RL.

The post that prompted my response was one from Pulga suggesting that its easier to teach Ra Ra chaps Rugby League than people who have never played any backward passing game before.

He may be right but the difference is so near to nothing, a mathematician might describe it as vanishingly small (tending to zero).

The benefit of choosing lads who have never played before is that they don't come with a sneering attitude, built in loyalty issues, when our game clashes with their Ra Ra club games or a very short shelf life, exhibited by RaRa chaps when they realise only the best of them can cope with the demands of Rugby League.

Completely ignorant athletes are more likely to embrace our game and commit to it wholeheartedly and in doing so, garner respect from their mates whereas the Ra Ra ''converts'' will be ostracised and mocked by their utterly envious ''chums''.

Consider also, that If we rely on Ra Ra chaps and the Ra Ra season occupies most of the year we end up with a playing season of 6 to 8 weeks which means we can't keep the real converts (who have none of the issues mentioned above) happy with such a paucity of matches.

This makes it far more difficult to recruit new ones and hold them. So you will always be beholden to players whose ''first sport'' lurks in the shadows on the dark side which is where their priorities lie.

Flirting with these blokes is bad enough, but trying to build your future with them is pure folly with very poor returns on your investment.

Your efforts as a developer Pulga, would be much better spent, even if it takes a bit longer to get it going, with absolute beginners. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2020 at 21:34, langpark said:

Having just looked at their facebook page, sadly, I think this might be the case.  A "logo design" is a complete non-story if there is zero activity there to back it up.  Also, their latest FB post does not fill me with confidence either:

New logo, State flag colors- chinook salmon. New attitude
Will be more active and contacting current union clubs about collaboration for the growth of ORL.

"More active about contacting union clubs?"  Seriously??

Sadly this is a common theme in North american Rugby league they are at the whim of union clubs. Also still waiting for texas to get off the ground

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2020 at 23:09, Pulga said:

It's correct, ORL is only just begging their journey but it is a start. There's a guy on the ground who wants to get it started.

I know it's unpalatable for some but converting union players is hundreds of times easier than training people from scratch.

This is exactly what happened with California and they're doing quite well now.

But CRL is only a year old we'll see how well relying on union clubs works from what I've seen across the world the strongest league clubs are filled with rugby league players and have a strong junior clubs that feed into them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2020 at 02:21, unapologetic pedant said:

Absolutely right. I`m repeating myself from the Greece thread (not alone in that). Union players are fine to make a start. Thereafter, diminishing returns.

And I`m repeating myself from multiple threads in saying that after a Tackle RL foothold is established, the non-contact forms of Tag and Touch are far more likely to build the numbers quickly. These are visibly, unmistakeably League not Union. Therefore highly useful in creating a distinct League identity, and getting new people familiar with PTB, limited possession, markers, dummy-half, etc.

THe problem is touch affiliates itself with union outside of australia and when you tell them Rugby league is your father they deny it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

The post that prompted my response was one from Pulga suggesting that its easier to teach Ra Ra chaps Rugby League than people who have never played any backward passing game before.

He may be right but the difference is so near to nothing, a mathematician might describe it as vanishingly small (tending to zero).

The benefit of choosing lads who have never played before is that they don't come with a sneering attitude, built in loyalty issues, when our game clashes with their Ra Ra club games or a very short shelf life, exhibited by RaRa chaps when they realise only the best of them can cope with the demands of Rugby League.

Completely ignorant athletes are more likely to embrace our game and commit to it wholeheartedly and in doing so, garner respect from their mates whereas the Ra Ra ''converts'' will be ostracised and mocked by their utterly envious ''chums''.

Consider also, that If we rely on Ra Ra chaps and the Ra Ra season occupies most of the year we end up with a playing season of 6 to 8 weeks which means we can't keep the real converts (who have none of the issues mentioned above) happy with such a paucity of matches.

This makes it far more difficult to recruit new ones and hold them. So you will always be beholden to players whose ''first sport'' lurks in the shadows on the dark side which is where their priorities lie.

Flirting with these blokes is bad enough, but trying to build your future with them is pure folly with very poor returns on your investment.

Your efforts as a developer Pulga, would be much better spent, even if it takes a bit longer to get it going, with absolute beginners. 

" but trying to build your future with them is pure folly with very poor returns on your investment." This is facts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

The post that prompted my response was one from Pulga suggesting that its easier to teach Ra Ra chaps Rugby League than people who have never played any backward passing game before.

He may be right but the difference is so near to nothing, a mathematician might describe it as vanishingly small (tending to zero).

The benefit of choosing lads who have never played before is that they don't come with a sneering attitude, built in loyalty issues, when our game clashes with their Ra Ra club games or a very short shelf life, exhibited by RaRa chaps when they realise only the best of them can cope with the demands of Rugby League.

Completely ignorant athletes are more likely to embrace our game and commit to it wholeheartedly and in doing so, garner respect from their mates whereas the Ra Ra ''converts'' will be ostracised and mocked by their utterly envious ''chums''.

Consider also, that If we rely on Ra Ra chaps and the Ra Ra season occupies most of the year we end up with a playing season of 6 to 8 weeks which means we can't keep the real converts (who have none of the issues mentioned above) happy with such a paucity of matches.

This makes it far more difficult to recruit new ones and hold them. So you will always be beholden to players whose ''first sport'' lurks in the shadows on the dark side which is where their priorities lie.

Flirting with these blokes is bad enough, but trying to build your future with them is pure folly with very poor returns on your investment.

Your efforts as a developer Pulga, would be much better spent, even if it takes a bit longer to get it going, with absolute beginners. 

I have to disagree with most of what you have said. 

This isn't my first rodeo. If a country doesn't have much of either code on the ground it's extremely difficult to get new players started and for it to look anything like RL. In one country we were forced to take that approach and it looked more like netball to me. It hasn't really moved past that.

In another we converted union players. It went well. Domestic comp sorted. Nobody was ostracised because there is no culture of animosity between the two codes.

Seasons haven't been a problem because there isn't enough RU for a whole year anyway.

I however don't believe there is one right or wrong way to do things (almost at every level of development). 


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pulga said:

I have to disagree with most of what you have said. 

This isn't my first rodeo. If a country doesn't have much of either code on the ground it's extremely difficult to get new players started and for it to look anything like RL. In one country we were forced to take that approach and it looked more like netball to me. It hasn't really moved past that.

In another we converted union players. It went well. Domestic comp sorted. Nobody was ostracised because there is no culture of animosity between the two codes.

Seasons haven't been a problem because there isn't enough RU for a whole year anyway.

I however don't believe there is one right or wrong way to do things (almost at every level of development). 

i think the work you have done and continue to do is nothing short of incredible.

Good luck in all your endeavours, you have my utmost respect and best wishes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...