Sun 16 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 6.30pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/20 at 18:00

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan looked rusty in their first game back. A more polished display and they can beat Leeds, I think.

If they haven't improved and Leeds can get early points on the board, the latter could win instead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan looked rusty in their first game back. A more polished display and they can beat Leeds, I think.

If they haven't improved and Leeds can get early points on the board, the latter could win instead.

Or it could be a draw 

Wigan are top of the league but I don't think they've anywhere near hit top gear yet and have stuttered to wins in lots of matches. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I think there's improvement to come, especially as the French, Hardaker and Hastings combination starts to click more and their young pack gets more experience.

A lot in this game will depend on how many are back for Leeds. With a squad like last week, I wouldn't back them but with a few players back, they've got a chance.

If Leeds get some players back then I'd fancy them to bounce back quite well from an embarrassing defeat. Wigan didn't look too great against Wakefield but it's hard to know how much to reach into it. We've been inconsistent at times this year. We've lost to Salford and Cas, struggled at home against Toronto, but also had a win over Wire (always a difficult game for us) and comfortably beat Huddersfield away when they were in pretty good form.

If French is missing it will be a blow but in theory it shouldn't affect our chances too much. Hardaker at fullback was player of the season for us and he was probably the best outside back against Wakefield. We definitely need to cut out the errors. I think the 6 again rule can really punish teams that have poor discipline and teams that don't end sets well and those are some bad habits at times for Wigan.

Leeds will have a couple or few players back, but still a number injured.  Wigan have a few out as well.  Possibly a scratchy game, but Wigan will at least say they have played a game at long last, so they may execute a bit sharper.  I would expect Leeds to be motivated to banish the memory of last week, and indeed the week before was not much better.

I think a solid Leeds win here. A bounce back from the saints stuffing last week combined with a few bodies back and they’ve had an extra run out. 

Wigan on the other hand sneaked a scrappy win against Wakefield, I’m not sure if their fitness levels are right as it was the last quarter we really fell off last week. While we’ve managed to scrape a lot of wins and battle to get them this season we since they restart it’s felt like a completely new season, and I’m not sure that Wigan have the mental toughness yet. We’ll see and I hope I’m wrong. 

On a side note the Wigan shirt embroidery is a nice touch. 

I think Wigan will be far too strong for us, Wigan +12-18. On the other hand if we get a bit of good fortune like Wigan did themselves last week who knows. On another note true class from the Wigan club with there shirts for this game total respect.

I expect Wigan will win this by a 20 to 30 point margin. Leeds have played well for 20 out of 165 minutes since the restart and over the past few years form has tended to be slower to turn around than an oil tanker. 

16 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m not sure how Leeds have managed to get into such an injury crisis after months without playing.

Because the players were either injured before lockdown with long term injuries (Ward, Crosby, Walker) or they picked the injuries up in the first two games back (Myler, Mellor, Hurrell, Lui, Donaldson)

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Because the players were either injured before lockdown with long term injuries (Ward, Crosby, Walker) or they picked the injuries up in the first two games back (Myler, Mellor, Hurrell, Lui, Donaldson)

i dont remember les dyl stevie pitchford graham eccles or neil hague being injured EVER!  although i think mick crane once had a bad pint the sat nite before and had to go off to change his shorts halfway through the 1st half against halifax

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Wigan a bit lightweight this evening. Only one recognised prop on the bench in Mitch Clark, who hasn't been particularly impressive. Presumably Greenwood will be used at prop but if he didn't even make the Leeds side while he was on loan I doubt there's much to worry about there. Joe Shorrocks is on the bench, fresh from a 5 game ban for a pretty horrendous cannonball tackle so Leeds should mind their knees/ankles.

I reckon Leeds will win this. Wigan seem to be hard working but lightweight and don't look to have much to trouble sides in the pack.

Some cracking young forwards in this game, Holroyd, Havard and Smithies among them. Looking forward to seeing them match up.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived