FEV OUT

tms

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Knock the RFL for trying something, knock them if they don’t - they can’t win. 

I'm not knocking anyone.

The comp isn't for me. I find it farcical that its now down to five clubs to cobble a competition. 

You have a different opinion.  C'est la vie. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 round 10 UK only SL mini comp , lower tiers cancelled for 2020 

Season 21 to start on boxing Day to hopefully bring in cash and also give time to prepare for WC and allow SL clubs to accommodate Traveling to Toronto 

Stated all this month's back

11 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

What would you suggest Griff? As it currently is? Or not at all?

I think we've seen over the past week that the situation is, at best, fluid.

I can't see any point in Championship clubs playing behind closed doors.  And the permitted crowds, when they do come back, need to be big enough to justify the costs of staging the game.

I don't know why you're in such a rush but, for now, I'd be planning to start the season in February, as usual, without being 100% confident that it will happen.

A lot has happened in the last five months.   A lot more could happen in the next five.  Things change from day to day - how can you make plans for February ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think we've seen over the past week that the situation is, at best, fluid.

I can't see any point in Championship clubs playing behind closed doors.  And the permitted crowds, when they do come back, need to be big enough to justify the costs of staging the game.

I don't know why you're in such a rush but, for now, I'd be planning to start the season in February, as usual, without being 100% confident that it will happen.

A lot has happened in the last five months.   A lot more could happen in the next five.  Things change from day to day - how can you make plans for February ?

All fair points and I'd agree - day to day is tricky. I've barely gone out my house in the last few months, that won't change. I certainly wouldn't be going to rugby match.

Next year will be tricky, not just the scheduling - but the fact we have the World Cup to content with. 

Then a 2nd / 3rd / 4th wave? Who knows.....

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Have Batley actually said 'yes', as I've only seen 'hope to' in anything official from the club?

I think you're probably right Les. 

Five or four - makes little difference really. I expect an announcement that it's not happening in the next few days.

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Don't care now.... farcical anyway

Farcical is a bit strong Robin. The competition was a genuine attempt by the RFL to rescue something from the seasons for the non-SL clubs. The fact that it didn't succeed is regrettable but in trying to do something the RFL shouldn't be accused of farce, should they?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Farcical is a bit strong Robin. The competition was a genuine attempt by the RFL to rescue something from the seasons for the non-SL clubs. The fact that it didn't succeed is regrettable but in trying to do something the RFL shouldn't be accused of farce, should they?

I was calling the situation a farce not particularly the rfl....

Though, if it wasn't feasible to re-start the season, I'm at a loss to see why a one off comp is somehow OK given the circumstances.

Its not for me.

29 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Returned to SL.

No, it doesn't belong to SL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Firstly to scrap the main show and offer this support act was wrong, but as Dereck said ''Two wrongs don't make a right but as a club it's very important that we support the RFL as much as possible as they battle to keep RL relevant during these challenging times. Ralph is working 24/7 for the benefit of all RL and even though this will cost us over 100k we will support it and do out utmost to win it.'' 

10 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not knocking anyone.

The comp isn't for me. I find it farcical that its now down to five clubs to cobble a competition. 

You have a different opinion.  C'est la vie. 

You should knock it Robin. You're a sensible and articulate man and get it right pretty much every time. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

14 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Though, if it wasn't feasible to re-start the season, I'm at a loss to see why a one off comp is somehow OK given the circumstances.

Its not for me.

It's not for me either but some clubs might have found it better to play.  They don't all have the same costs or ability to earn revenues. It was right that they were given the option yet I'm not surprised few took it.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, SL17 said:

Part of it does.

Which part exactly, and how?

22 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It looks like it's just Leigh, Bradford, Barrow, Batley and Dewsbury left.

Since the RFL said it needed a minimum of eight, which presumably means it will be abandoned. In the circumstances, and bearing in mind what happened at Hull, I think that would be best for all concerned, to be honest.

5 is 3 short of 8, by my ropey maths, so they will presumably cancel it.

On a wider conundrum, just how long can the majority of non SL teams survive as even part time? 

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

And where does it say that it can be reclaimed? The £250k was a part of the larger payment that was agreed as a payment for agreeing that there would be no relegation and, hence, no parachute payment. SL still make a profit from that deal.

32 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

On a wider conundrum, just how long can the majority of non SL teams survive as even part time? 

True RP but I have been asking the same question for 40 years. Let's see.

28 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Many are just delaying the inevitable by not playing, as we have seen with other businesses the redundancies and closures will be along  shortly. What's so ridiculous is how people running things like Nail bars, coffee shops, tattoo Parlour's and suchlike believe they are essential service's and should be recieving Government help as the World won't survive without them. RL was lucky to somehow  receive a loan from the Government early on in this crisis but that doesn't mean that clubs won't suffer the inevitable that many have been flirting with for year after year. 

A awful lot of things are going to change on the back of this, the rich will continue to exploit the situation as always, but for everyone/ everything else it looks grim.

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Many are just delaying the inevitable by not playing, as we have seen with other businesses the redundancies and closures will be along  shortly. What's so ridiculous is how people running things like Nail bars, coffee shops, tattoo Parlour's and suchlike believe they are essential service's and should be recieving Government help as the World won't survive without them. RL was lucky to somehow  receive a loan from the Government early on in this crisis but that doesn't mean that clubs won't suffer the inevitable that many have been flirting with for year after year. 

A awful lot of things are going to change on the back of this, the rich will continue to exploit the situation as always, but for everyone/ everything else it looks grim.

They are to the people who own/run/work in them!

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

They are to the people who own/run/work in them!

Yes I know that but the world isn't reliant on them for survival, they are peripheral occupations and in dark times don't count for much.

2 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Yes I know that but the world isn't reliant on them for survival, they are peripheral occupations and in dark times don't count for much.

They were essential services in the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if I remember correctly.

Archived