FEV OUT

tms

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Many are just delaying the inevitable by not playing, as we have seen with other businesses the redundancies and closures will be along  shortly. What's so ridiculous is how people running things like Nail bars, coffee shops, tattoo Parlour's and suchlike believe they are essential service's and should be recieving Government help as the World won't survive without them. RL was lucky to somehow  receive a loan from the Government early on in this crisis but that doesn't mean that clubs won't suffer the inevitable that many have been flirting with for year after year. 

A awful lot of things are going to change on the back of this, the rich will continue to exploit the situation as always, but for everyone/ everything else it looks grim.

I was concerned to read the number of clubs saying that they couldn't enter this competition as they needed the furlough money. That really says "hand to mouth" to me.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Many are just delaying the inevitable by not playing, as we have seen with other businesses the redundancies and closures will be along  shortly. What's so ridiculous is how people running things like Nail bars, coffee shops, tattoo Parlour's and suchlike believe they are essential service's and should be recieving Government help as the World won't survive without them. RL was lucky to somehow  receive a loan from the Government early on in this crisis but that doesn't mean that clubs won't suffer the inevitable that many have been flirting with for year after year. 

A awful lot of things are going to change on the back of this, the rich will continue to exploit the situation as always, but for everyone/ everything else it looks grim.

Our trade will be affected because our overseas customers will be hit, and vice versa. The economy in 1918 was a different animal to now, and the effects of this pandemic will have a worse economic effect.  (I think we need to look at preserving, rebuilding our strategic businesses)  

Rugby League needs to preserve it's strategic foundations.  This means producing players, but if its supporter base does not grow then it must limit its professional club numbers. This does not mean reducing or restricting amateur clubs.

45 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I was concerned to read the number of clubs saying that they couldn't enter this competition as they needed the furlough money. That really says "hand to mouth" to me.

Well, it mainly shows the fundamental point that if your incoming falls to zero due to no crowds, your outgoing has to get pretty close to it or you're in trouble. Many other businesses were in that boat, but as rugby contracts are fixed term, they're a lot harder to reduce than workers with notice periods.

It makes sense to take furlough for as long as possible if you can't generate any income, and spectator sport is one of the few industries left as of today that's not allowed to sell its product to its customers. 

The crunch will be early next year - if crowds aren't allowed return to the levels pre pandemic, or some fans choose not to attend, then there will be no way round it. The pro game will have to shrink. 

28 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That looks to have been written before yesterday's deadline. Afaik the 3 other clubs mentioned (Batley and the two Londons) still haven't made their decision public. 

16 hours ago, SL17 said:

The contribution was for a competition. That seems null now. I don’t see where it says the contribution was no P&R.

By all means enlighten me.

I did do, it was horse-trading for the agreement to do away with P&R this year. Not everything goes out in press-releases you know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

5 clubs entered 8 fixtures and T2 play off, winner to SL apparently as Sky are enforcing the 12 team agreement and TW are dead.

Love your optimism.😂

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Batley are definitely in, according to a post by the chairman on the club's forum.

To be honest I'd be quite happy to have the competition scrapped, and all those clubs that fully supported the rfl's efforts in putting the competition together, split the prize money equally 5 ways.

It seems the only fair way to share it out.😊

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sounds like clubs wanted to max furlough by starting later.

Sounds like everyone else was to blame but Derek. There is no mention of furlough at other clubs in the statement.

29 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sounds like everyone else was to blame but Derek. There is no mention of furlough at other clubs in the statement.

Furlough is just one of a number of financial considerations.  I'm still not seeing the return of the paying public as a prospect in the foreseeable future.

And watching all those players queuing to get off the bus didn't look like the game was much fun at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'm still not seeing the return of the paying public as a prospect in the foreseeable future.

In fairness Ralph Rimmer said on Saturday that the start of October is when crowds are likely in some form (which is in line with what we've heard from football etc.) and that the RFL had applied to be one of the pilot schemes in September. So its not that far really

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness Ralph Rimmer said on Saturday that the start of October is when crowds are likely in some form (which is in line with what we've heard from football etc.) and that the RFL had applied to be one of the pilot schemes in September. So its not that far really

On the other hand, we have half of Lancashire in some form of extended lockdown.

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

On the other hand, we have half of Lancashire in some form of extended lockdown.

And over 2 months till October. By which time the Russian Grand Prix will have had 30,000 spectators in attendance for example. The numbers for RL will be straight up much smaller than that and also smaller anyway due to the pandemic. 

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

So you expected a club who is doing rather well out of not playing and not paying staff because the taxpayer is doing, to come out and say thats why they didn't want to play??? Then ask fans/sponsors not to request refunds. Check whats in your water BSJ. New contracts tend to start in November/December, furlough finishes in October - the plan must have been a weeks tick n pass in November and on with the season week 2 to maximise furlough

Archived