Sam Tomkins

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of diverting away from Tomkins, i actually think, like with fullback, we'll start to see more and more loose forwards becoming a combination of the modern 'middle' forward and a creative type. Which would probably be something akin to what the old fashioned classic 13 was.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

At the risk of diverting away from Tomkins, i actually think, like with fullback, we'll start to see more and more loose forwards becoming a combination of the modern 'middle' forward and a creative type. Which would probably be something akin to what the old fashioned classic 13 was.

As was said before Mike, that is what is already happening in Australia, and we all know what they do in Aus we follow, unless that is playing the ball correctly👎

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good . I don’t like the term middle forward as it lumps everyone together . Props and a loose forward , and call me old fashioned but I still want them to be distinctive positions , giving the team more dimensions 

To be honest, I think it is probably less about the sport evolving strategically than teams playing to their strengths.  The Roosters and Rabbitohs had Radley and Murray come through and they play a more 'old fashioned' role even though they are great defenders. The Cowboys have Taumalolo on their books so they will play with three big 'middles'. It's teams playing their best players. 

But I agree, the variety is good for the sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, read back what you said about the "wide out role of the old loose forwards" if you didn't mean that just say so. 

Why dont you read what is said.  To spell it out, the wide role of the loose forward is not "the" only role the old fashioned 13 had. 

To confuse you further.... Williams is a "stand off" but currently has a 7 on his back.  

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I think it is probably less about the sport evolving strategically than teams playing to their strengths.  The Roosters and Rabbitohs had Radley and Murray come through and they play a more 'old fashioned' role even though they are great defenders. The Cowboys have Taumalolo on their books so they will play with three big 'middles'. It's teams playing their best players. 

But I agree, the variety is good for the sport.

Yes I’d say that’s right . It can of course give an insight into how the coach wants to set up , but it’s certainly to me a big asset if you have this player that offers variety . Bit of a Swiss Army knife type at loose forward . Or in the case of Taumalolo the whole Swiss army 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

As was said before Mike, that is what is already happening in Australia, and we all know what they do in Aus we follow, unless that is playing the ball correctly👎

Yeah, i agree. Most of those are capable of making a pass at the line, but not sure theres much more to their game, yet.. though there are a few big lads who can play a bit. 

Even the Aussies have given up on correct PTBs this year.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Why dont you read what is said.  To spell it out, the wide role of the loose forward is not "the" only role the old fashioned 13 had. 

To confuse you further.... Williams is a "stand off" but currently has a 7 on his back.  

I have,

Ah well, I will excuse it as Wiganeeze.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, to be honest I have stopped watching for it, but if it was as pronounced and as bad as it is here I'm sure I would have noticed, but that is not decrying your observations.

Yeah they're creeping back in.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

Yeah they're creeping back in.

They are yes. Clearly reverting back to one ref has lost a bit of focus on it. Hoping a few penalties will stop the rot but I'm not holding my breath.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes I’d say that’s right . It can of course give an insight into how the coach wants to set up , but it’s certainly to me a big asset if you have this player that offers variety . Bit of a Swiss Army knife type at loose forward . Or in the case of Taumalolo the whole Swiss army 

I see that Morgan Knowles has shifted his allegiance to England. He is another who can play that dynamic but tough 13 role. I really rate him.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I see that Morgan Knowles has shifted his allegiance to England. He is another who can play that dynamic but tough 13 role. I really rate him.

Yeh I seen that . Did it say Wane went after him ? He must be keen as he said he wasn’t gonna do that with players 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh I seen that . Did it say Wane went after him ? He must be keen as he said he wasn’t gonna do that with players 

No indication in the BBC article that Wane has tapped him up but you would imagine that he would have made sure he would be welcomed and got the word to him.  I would have him in my starting 13 (at 13) for England.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

No indication in the BBC article that Wane has tapped him up but you would imagine that he would have made sure he would be welcomed and got the word to him.  I would have him in my starting 13 (at 13) for England.

Yeh , I was reading the sky website 

Wane said: "I chased him. He's a big player I admire, a big effort player, which is perfect for me and I can see him playing in a Test match. I've already spoken to him and I like him.

The good old 'classic loose forward' chat.  

That role exists, it's usually the more skillful of the middle 3. It feels like people are pining for a muscly halfback to play 13 as if it will make things more creative. If you play in the middle you have to work, simple as. You can't have a wide positioned 13 as it imbalances the structure. The fullback plays both sides, that's the logical way. You could play the fullback one side and the 13 the other but then your middle would get absolutely killed.

If you want a proper ball handling 13 you need someone who can defend in the middle. Either them or someone moving in there in defence like a backrower, but then if your 13 is so soft he cant defend he's not going to do much of a protection job for your halves. So you need halves who can bang, at which point you could stick them in the middle which isnt going to happen.

Just enjoy people like O'Loughlin who can hit the ball up, defend and occasionally tip it on. Steve Norton or Les Holliday would still be relevant today, they actually did work in the middle, people just remember the champagne stuff.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Just now, DavidM said:

Yeh , I was reading the sky website 

Wane said: "I chased him. He's a big player I admire, a big effort player, which is perfect for me and I can see him playing in a Test match. I've already spoken to him and I like him.

I say good.  I know that it weakens Wales but for the good of the game over here I want England to have a successful home World Cup and I am glad he is available for England now.

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

occasionally tip it on

Is that you Tez?

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Is that you Tez?

As he's the best pundit we have I assumed this was language people would understand.

3736-mipm.gif

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well exactly . You can be both 

Well you have to be one, the other is a bonus.

3736-mipm.gif

17 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The good old 'classic loose forward' chat. 

In a thread about the fullback and occasional half, Sam Tomkins...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived