McManus rejects proposal for 11-team Super League

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with much of what he says there, but it is unnecessary to be so negative on SL at the moment. A club not getting to the restart line isn't as shocking as a folding would be at any other time, and the Hull FC thing will possibly happen again and in other sports. 

We need to make sure we don't publicly talk ourselves into a crisis of confidence that will see the vultures circle and look to take advantage. 

I agree with him 100% on the 11 team thing. 

Interesting. McManus essentially says ‘It’s your mess, you sort it’ to the RFL and that it would be unwise for SL to vote on the future of Toronto or a replacement 12th club.

That’s Leeds and Saints both in favour of a 12th club, and a criteria-based licensing entry.

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Interesting. McManus essentially says ‘It’s your mess, you sort it’ to the RFL and that it would be unwise for SL to vote on the future of Toronto or a replacement 12th club.

That’s Leeds and Saints both in favour of a 12th club, and a criteria-based licensing entry.

I read it as McManus saying we don't want to be seen to pick the team who are going to get battered every week and will be almost guaranteed to finish bottom in 2021, as that would look like self interest.

He is absolutely right that 11 teams will make SL a complete laughing stock and that any 12th team should get equal central funding, be it Toronto or whomever.

There simply cant be 11 teams for so many reasons and you have to give them funding otherwise it's a farce.

The question is, how do you pick a 12th and when are they going to do it? With no Championship this year they need to get on with it to give the team who is selected ample time to prepare. Feels like it's going to be another fag packet process.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The comment on 11 teams is so there is an even number for the competitions and in line with previous budget requirements which have been debated on here previously.

The voting comment is just how he says, to take away conflict of interest.

Frankly, its the 1st common sense media Ive heard from McManus in some time.  

The other problematic thing he does say is about not rushing this and doing it properly. Unfortunately, whoever plays in spot 12 needs some time a) to put their case forward and b.) to get a squad together. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The other problematic thing he does say is about not rushing this and doing it properly. Unfortunately, whoever plays in spot 12 needs some time a) to put their case forward and b.) to get a squad together. 

Don’t Toronto have till the end of August to complete any takeover? 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The longer they take , the bigger the problems for all involved , both SL and Championship 

If SL do stick with 12 clubs next year they will need to decide whether to admit the 12th club as a full member or as a guest on a 1 season deal and also whether there will be relegation in 2021.

They will probably finish bottom and you cannot simply relegate a team who have stepped in at short notice to save the credibility of the 2021 comp, even if they loose every SL game.

Another option is licenses for 2022 of course.

Many decisions will be influenced by the new Sky deal.

Will whoever sets the criteria and subsequently selects the the 12th club be void of any 'conflict of interest'?

Another question that I can see would be very much open to debate is if the criteria is worked on amassing points for the different catagories with a first past the post winner, surely that criteria would have to be set below the SL club who would be in the 11th position if all of the SL clubs were adjudged on the same. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The fact some chairmen want to have 11 clubs next season, purely so they can split the sky money 11 ways instead of 12 shows how short sighted and small minded they are. A 10 team league would be better than an 11 team league. I wonder why they aren’t suggesting that.

Relegation was formally ruled out some time ago.

I suspect there would be uproar followed by a very expensive legal case if they went to 10 for 2021.

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will whoever sets the criteria and subsequently selects the the 12th club be void of any 'conflict of interest'?

Another question that I can see would be very much open to debate is if the criteria is worked on amassing points for the different catagories with a first past the post winner, surely that criteria would have to be set below the SL club who would be in the 11th position if all of the SL clubs were adjudged on the same. 

Depends on the terms of reference for the exercise, I'm sure they will have the criteria covered legally.

As for avoiding conflict of interest, they could either appoint a truly independent body with no RFL affiliation to decide or just ask Sky to quietly pick a team from the candidates - which could happen.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, he also doesnt discount TWP and I can see that may be for the reasons you mention.  '(b)  is also the same for promotion as we have it.

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Depends on the terms of reference for the exercise, I'm sure they will have the criteria covered legally.

As for avoiding conflict of interest, they could either appoint a truly independent body with no RFL affiliation to decide or just ask Sky to quietly pick a team from the candidates - which could happen.

I wonder what Skys criteria would be?  That would be interesting.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I believe so, but McManus is saying it is all being done with too much haste. 

I don't know how it can be done with anything other than extreme haste given the urgency to find a buyer for Toronto and the clear interdependence between buying Toronto and the position wrt SL membership.

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

To much expense and not enough time to acheive that me thinks.

A truley independent body? Again cost and time.

Sky randomly picking a candidate, now that would be setting future proceedures.

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If McManus and his chums want to set a fair and level playing field then why not just simply make the '12th club' exempt from relegation in 2021? 🤓

In a 12 team comp what seems to be his desire, that would probably mean no promotion in 2021, no way would they relegate a team who finished above them.

10 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If McManus and his chums want to set a fair and level playing field then why not just simply make the '12th club' exempt from relegation in 2021? 🤓

I can see there been no relegation in 2021. Whoever the 12th club is, be it Toronto, Toulouse or London, they’re going to face a near impossible task not to finish bottom.

Archived